airplane tickets price by wheight?

Jane6

Being in science forum i think we all agree that the more weight you put in the airplane the bigger is the cost to travel.

The question is it right to make prices by seat or by weight ?

Here it's an example of how much fuel is using the airplane based on weight of passangers.

If companies would charge by weight some passangers could feel there is a discrimination, if we they charge by seat some people dosen't like to pay a flat price knowing they should pay less.
What do you think?

Table-8_6.jpg

I say no and think the idea creates more problems than it solves, but even if you think yes it’s a great idea, it’s not plausible and there’s no good way to implement it since vast majority of ticket sales occur prior to airport arrival and via platforms not managed by the airlines themselves. 

I object to fat people being on airplanes at all.  Get too many fatties on a flight and you never take off.   You get out and it's like F*** me I'm still in Denver and all we did was taxi around a bit!

I also think they should be charged more at buffet style restaurants, because they drive up the fixed price for modest eaters like me.  Ideally we'd just make restaurant doors really narrow and only people who really need a meal can get in - everyone benefits!

Also, those theaters that charge more because they tore out all their old seats and replaced them with new ones that accommodate giant American asses, they need to offer discounts to the slim-butted like me who can still fit easily in a Wrigley Field seat circa 1952.  Give us our own special seating area where we are served free diet soda and wholegrain snacks.  

Ethically, I think our processes in a society should focus on the strength of people in that society sharing the common burdens of life, while respecting the rights of an individual person to work within the system. If you start discriminating by weight on an airplane, can we charge you extra to work out at the gym because you're so small and need extra time on the machines? Can we charge you extra at the grocery store because you're short and need help reaching the top shelf? The clothing industry would like to charge more for extra small sizes due to extra labor, the same way they charge more for extra big sizes due to extra material. If we started this practice, I think the airlines would have special flights for all the skinny people, and give you the discounts you so deserve, and at the same time they'd double the number of seats so you could rub boney elbows with all the other special persons. They'd saave a bundle on flight attendants and food since you could just grab a cracker on the way to your abbreviated seat.

You can always find a reason why a type of person doesn't fit and needs special treatment. I think we all have strengths and weaknesses that provide the perfect balance when we spread them out to cover us all as people. 

Also keep in mind: given that the US is the ninth fattest nation and the most frequent fliers, the airlines would all go bankrupt a month after they started discriminating. They do restrict luggage weight allowance, so that could perhaps be adjusted to make up for discrepancies in passenger weight - but not very fairly, since large people need bigger clothes. How about, let's just nobody fly anywhere unless it's an emergency?  That way, the airlines will go out of business without the hassle of lawsuits, and the air will be a little cleaner. 

Forgot links https://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat.html?sh=79e2236964f1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_airline_passengers

I don't trust the edit feature anymore, but the merge function should still work ok.

If you require people to get on scales to buy tickets I can assure you the airlines will have to deal with reduced ticket sales. 

Even some doctor offices are doing away with "weigh in".

When Dani Donovan stepped into her doctor’s waiting room in Omaha, she was surprised and pleased to see a stack of cards with bold black letters stating: “Please Don’t Weigh Me Unless It’s (Really) Medically Necessary.”

Underneath were smaller red letters saying, “If you really need my weight, please tell me why so I can give you my informed consent.”

“I didn’t even know that saying ‘no’ to being weighed was a thing you could do,” said Donovan, 30, an attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder advocate who has a binge-eating disorder and often avoided doctor’s appointments because being weighed was so stressful. The card led to a good conversation with her doctor, Donovan said, that helped build trust and make her feel empowered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/02/20/weight-cards/

54 minutes ago, zapatos said:

If you require people to get on scales to buy tickets I can assure you the airlines will have to deal with reduced ticket sales. 

Right. Who wants to be the first airline to announce the new business model?

26 minutes ago, swansont said:

Right. Who wants to be the first airline to announce the new business model?

Actually I think I read of a small airline had tried it out, but I am not sure if they are still doing that.

Edit: Found it: it was Samoa Air who did it in 2013 but it went out of business 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa_Air

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

The science in today society can help us a lot so that would a very small issue, the company could make 2 tariff plans, one where evrybody is paying same price, and one where they can step on scale and pay accordingly.
here it's something interesting about this topic https://www.businessinsider.com/overweight-passengers-are-eating-up-the-airline-industrys-profits-2012-3?r=US&IR=T

7 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Actually I think I read of a small airline had tried it out, but I am not sure if they are still doing that.

Edit: Found it: it was Samoa Air who did it in 2013 but it went out of business 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa_Air

yeah , i heard about them, maybe they failed because 80% of population is overweight , it holds rank 6 in in top fatest countries in the wourld.
there it dosen't make sense to do that, they could make smaller seats eventual, and people who fit in they can pay with a discont.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

The science in today society can help us a lot so that would a very small issue, the company could make 2 tariff plans, one where evrybody is paying same price, and one where they can step on scale and pay accordingly.
here it's something interesting about this topic https://www.businessinsider.com/overweight-passengers-are-eating-up-the-airline-industrys-profits-2012-3?r=US&IR=T

21 minutes ago, Jane6 said:

yeah , i heard about them, maybe they failed because 80% of population is overweight , it holds rank 6 in in top fatest countries in the wourld.
there it dosen't make sense to do that, they could make smaller seats eventual, and people who fit in they can pay with a discont.

They likely introduced it because so many folks were overweight. But it also does show that no one really looked at it and considered it to be worthwhile to pursue.

2 hours ago, CharonY said:

They likely introduced it because so many folks were overweight. But it also does show that no one really looked at it and considered it to be worthwhile to pursue.

If the issue persists and increases, they will have to address it, irrespective of offending people. If a person takes up 2 seats and there is an increasing number of them aboard planes, the price can't stay the same and neither can the seat size.

While lighter people might like it, there is no sense in an airline doing it unless it benefits the airline.  Statistically, when you consider the entire planeload of people, the added income from the heavier people will be offset by the reduced income for the lightest-- so it is not clear there is a financial benefit for the airline.  Add in the large number of online ticket sales, and the difficulty of weighing the people and it becomes a burden for the airline with no financial benefit.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

If the issue persists and increases, they will have to address it, irrespective of offending people. If a person takes up 2 seats and there is an increasing number of them aboard planes, the price can't stay the same and neither can the seat size.

Well, they have to take it into account for sure. But it is unclear to me whether weighing folks would help their business model. OldChemE has mentioned some aspects. Also if folks universally are getting heavier and obese folks are become the norm, then it might be that everyone just gets charged more.

Or if there a niche developing, some airlines might cater specifically to the heavy/light segment, but only if the market is worth it. 

10 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Well, they have to take it into account for sure. But it is unclear to me whether weighing folks would help their business model. OldChemE has mentioned some aspects. Also if folks universally are getting heavier and obese folks are become the norm, then it might be that everyone just gets charged more.

Or if there a niche developing, some airlines might cater specifically to the heavy/light segment, but only if the market is worth it. 

yes

Eh, seems that we were saying the same thing, then. I also doubt that offending folks is really an issue if in the end it maximizes profit (but again I think there are easier ways to do that than weighing folks). Thinking a bit more about existing policies, I think the current rule is that if folks cannot sit with the armrest down, they cannot fly, unless the seat next to them is available (and/or they bought a second seat). I suspect that especially for some budget airlines, buying two seats is unavoidable for certain overweight folks.

32 minutes ago, CharonY said:

The problem is a part of large people start the auto victimization like some of the black people who are doing the auto victimization that are saying they are tretead bad by by white people because they are racist and here i will come with another small story. (  I am a foreign person in uk, and some of my friends are saying british people are racists, but i never feel like that even if i am foreigner most of the British people are really nice people to be around , i think if you show them respect they show you back, and i am not talking only about formal smile, even when you start to know them better, they can be genuine and trustworthy.

And second problem that is the main reason companies are still making prices in the old way is most of the people are not aware about economics of an airplane, they just sit in and never think about it, but if this people will understand how it works , and there will apear a company that can give them a benefit they will chose that company.

A benefit could be, to give you a free allowance of let's say 100kg where it's included your body, clothes that you hae and luggage.
and manny adjustment can be done, they just need to find the middle ground, all done care to not offend anybody.
It could be three sizes of seats, and evrybody will chose the seat that they need

Edited by Jane6

4 hours ago, Jane6 said:

the company could make 2 tariff plans, one where evrybody is paying same price, and one where they can step on scale and pay accordingly.

I wonder which tariff plan the heavy people will choose...

3 minutes ago, Jane6 said:

The problem is a part of large people start the auto victimization like some of the black people who are doing the auto victimization that are saying they are tretead bad by by white people because they are racist

You sure you want to go down this path?

7 hours ago, zapatos said:

This is the obvious problem that prompted my satirical post earlier.  Any business that starts segregating people on any aspect of their physical appearance (aside from being a child) would soon be filing chapter 7 bankruptcy.  The exception would be locker room assignment in fitness clubs, on the basis of sex.  And possibly some amusement park rides, where an unusually high body mass could involve real risk for the rider. (though there's usually a lot of engineering redundancy and overbuilding required on such devices). 

2 hours ago, Jane6 said:

The problem is a part of large people start the auto victimization like some of the black people who are doing the auto victimization that are saying they are tretead bad by by white people because they are racist and here i will come with another small story.

What an ugly choice of words, auto victimization. I prefer "systemic racism survival", and acknowledge that as a white person I'm certainly not the victim. I've benefited heavily over POC, and continue to take advantage of racist processes. 

Are you extra mad at fat black people who pay the same as you for a seat on an airplane?

What about religion? Obviously, the people who believe in the right god would be the best passengers, since all their flights would land safely. We could charge more for Buddhists and atheists and the other religions, and less for the people who believe correctly.

12 hours ago, Jane6 said:

Being in science forum i think we all agree that the more weight you put in the airplane the bigger is the cost to travel.

I worked for QANTAS for 15 years, and the passenger's weights are based on a system that is revised over periods of time. A child is estimated at a certain weight, a female at another certain weight and a male at another. The system applied takes into account wide error ranges that fall inside an aircrafts normal take-off weight and also the size of the aircraft.

In fact in Australia, in smaller aircraft that sometimes are used to ferry passengers to small country regional areas etc, passengers are weighed along with their carry on baggage. If anyone views this as offensive, tough titty! They can find other ways of travelling.

These estimated weights are of course revised periodically.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:28 AM, Phi for All said:

What an ugly choice of words, auto victimization. I prefer "systemic racism survival", and acknowledge that as a white person I'm certainly not the victim. I've benefited heavily over POC, and continue to take advantage of racist processes. 

Are you extra mad at fat black people who pay the same as you for a seat on an airplane?

What about religion? Obviously, the people who believe in the right god would be the best passengers, since all their flights would land safely. We could charge more for Buddhists and atheists and the other religions, and less for the people who believe correctly.

English is not my native languange and it could be difficult for me to make some sentences sound while trying to say the truth without offending anyone.
I don't have a problem whit any color, i have black friends, and i was speaking with them about racism, and they told me same thing, they never felt they treated bad because they are black, and also they told me about how some of black people are doing the autovictimisation thing, i just bring in discution the black people to bring an example of autovictimization.

The fat people used autovictimization to say companies are doing fat shaming, thats why they stop to make price by weight and not by seat
ets use the rational thinking