What are these tiny carbon structures?

Kurious12

Have a piece of pyrite that is littered with a host of strange microscopic structures, the ones shown here in these photos have been found in a several different configurations. What's really strange about some of these structures is that if you dissolve some of this pyrite in acid, some of these structures will precipitate out of the solution. I have shown these to a number of scientists, but no one can say for sure what they are or why they form in the acid solution. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.jpg

On 5/4/2022 at 4:59 AM, Kurious12 said:

Have a piece of pyrite that is littered with a host of strange microscopic structures, the ones shown here in these photos have been found in a several different configurations. What's really strange about some of these structures is that if you dissolve some of this pyrite in acid, some of these structures will precipitate out of the solution. I have shown these to a number of scientists, but no one can say for sure what they are or why they form in the acid solution. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.jpg

They look like bits of plants or something. Considering the organic origin of these pyrites, I don't think I would find that surprising. Though difficult to confirm of course, in view of the chemical alteration involving in the fossilisation process.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:33 AM, exchemist said:

They look like bits of plants or something. Considering the organic origin of these pyrites, I don't think I would find that surprising. Though difficult to confirm of course, in view of the chemical alteration involving in the fossilisation process.

Because of their metallic look I never thought about organic but that could be right. I don't want to sit here and waste peoples' time with a bunch of strange photos but I'm learning a lot of new stuff here. I'm no scientist so I might be wrong, but it would appear that there is something totally wrong with the chemistry of this pyrite. At the microscopic level this pyrite is just littered with all sorts of strange things, below is a photo and scan results of a tube-like item.

Tube 002 200X.jpg

Tube 002 20kV.jpg

4 hours ago, Kurious12 said:

Because of their metallic look I never thought about organic but that could be right. I don't want to sit here and waste peoples' time with a bunch of strange photos but I'm learning a lot of new stuff here. I'm no scientist so I might be wrong, but it would appear that there is something totally wrong with the chemistry of this pyrite. At the microscopic level this pyrite is just littered with all sorts of strange things, below is a photo and scan results of a tube-like item.

Tube 002 200X.jpg

Tube 002 20kV.jpg

In your previous thread on this subject, the possibility of organic origin was mentioned several times. If the pyrite is of organic origin, you would expect it to contain traces of other materials. 

If the sample is not a pure substance, you can't expect its composition to be exactly that of a pure compound. It doesn't mean there is anything "wrong" with the chemistry of the pyrite portion of it, just that there are substances present in the sample other than pyrite. I should have thought that was obvious. 

I don't see anything surprising here.

When I first read this thread I thought dendrites ?

But you say these are organic.

Dendrites are similar inorganic structures.

Here is a paper on decimetre scale ones.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319654805_Pyrite-walled_tube_structures_in_a_Mesoproterozoic_sediment-hosted_metal_sulfide_deposit/link/59d5ac1a0f7e9b7a7e4677a8/download

Edited by studiot

On 5/7/2022 at 1:17 AM, studiot said:

But you say these are organic.

I don't have a clue as to what these things really are, but I will take any info that I can get. I don't want to make this pyrite out to be something that it isn't but, there's a lot of strange things about it, like this little piece of metal. It was found inside of a crystal, folded in half. I was told that it had to be a platinum or silver flake. I came across a scientist at the USGS that was curious about some of this stuff, so I sent this metal and a couple other strange items to be examined. They said that the metal is pure aluminum and that they could not explain this, and the other items could not be identified. I don't want to bore people with this stuff but I'm learning a lot of new stuff here. I have had an edx, xrf, xrd and Raman analysis done on this stone, there has been over 27 different elements detected in this pyrite. I'm learning a lot on here so hopefully I can share more and learn more. Thanks for the article about pyrite wall tube structures, this helps a lot.

5.JPG

6.JPG