Why is alcohol legal ?

KickMePlease

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

What temperature do you need to drink that at,  -14c?

I think you get a tank with liquid nitrogen with it. By freezing it solid instantly you prevent any from accidentally entering your mouth.

54 minutes ago, swansont said:

Why not?

Sorry - I misinterpreted the question; that should read: "Yes, they would." In fact I accepted your evidence at face value and withdrew from the argument.

55 minutes ago, swansont said:

Isn’t pro-legalization the same as anti-prohibition?

Yes. I'm agreeing again. And apologizing again.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, beecee said:

I prefer the drug that society already dictates as a social necessity in all walks of life in any reasonable democratic westernised society. 

Not quite sure that society already "dictates Alcohol as a social necessity in all walks of life", although if  "Pelosi is {really?} opening a liquor store in the House where Members can buy alcohol with their taxpayer-funded MRAs." See https://twitter.com/AustinScottGA08/status/1525215777032482816?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Then, it appears that it just may be a "necessity" in that walk of life at least.

So?

Note the Hours that the Alcohol is available for purchase.

FSqnqJYXsAIuwWr.jpg

FSqnPyrX0AARxvj.jpg

Edited by et pet
add image

Coming into this a bit late but -

I think cannabis should be fully legal for adults - like alcohol it is widely used and widely accepted and I think prohibition causes more harms than it prevents. A significant number of people who are otherwise law abiding see the police as enemy because cannabis (and other drug use) is illegal.

Counseling and rehab as well as education make better use of taxpayer funding than policing cannabis. Other drugs should be legal to use and possess (in small amounts), with efforts to limit availability, but supplying them outside of medical supervision (which may be indicated for confirmed addiction, as harm reduction) should probably not be legal, although I suspect education and harm minimising for users will still give better outcomes than harsh policing. Anecdotally crackdowns on cannabis supply tended to be followed by increased use of other drugs that have more significant medical and social harms, including alcohol. I remain a bit skeptical of significant increase in society wide incidence of psychosis and mental illness from cannabis, suspecting it is one trigger amongst many for susceptible people rather than being a specific cause.

The reality around here (rural Eastern Australia) is that policing of cannabis is sporadic and the police don't have their hearts in it, and the penalties are minimal - to the point where Magistrates have actually berated the police for wasting the courts time with arrests of people growing a few plants. The helicopter raids on growers are ineffective - occasionally a very large crop is found but most of that policing is of small crops - a tiny fraction of them - and the police presence is for appearances sake.

Never tried VB, but I did like Fosters when it was first imported, Beecee.
It was crisp and refreshing, which I like since I drink beer to quench thirst ( not get drunk ).
When it became a local brew, it tasted like all the other Canadian beer, and I stopped buying it. Same happened with Carlsberg.

I tend to like beers brewed in the German tradition ( Heineken, Stella, Kronenberg, or even Tsing Tao ), not beers that require 'chewing'; sorry Stringy.

Edited by MigL

11 hours ago, et pet said:

Not quite sure that society already "dictates Alcohol as a social necessity in all walks of life", although if  "Pelosi is {really?} opening a liquor store in the House where Members can buy alcohol with their taxpayer-funded MRAs.

Oh please. The foodservice giant they use for catering at the US House is uber-greedy, they used to be a client of mine. Sodexho took over the contract in 2015 and like all big corporations, they need steady growth, and offering booze to their clients is an easy way to assure that. 

This isn't because of liberal politics or even alcohol, this is because we've allowed too much privately owned enterprise in our public intstitutions.

17 hours ago, beecee said:

😅

Then with regards to your's and TheVat's idea about reduced or no governments and government controls, I showed that to be the furphy of which it most certainly is......You dear Peterkin, and I, would probably not be here for a number of reasons if it were not for some form of government control or legislation. 

The furphy that  governments should not prohibit you from doing what you want, despite the chances of it being harmful to you, sounds strangely a lot like Jordan Peterson and Trump.

Though I have participated minimally in this thread, with brief comments on decriminalization, I would rather not be turned into a Straw Man, or attached to other posters' positions.  I have no problem with the rule of law, or control of harmful substances, be it leaded paint, horse dewormer, or crystal meth.   I was referring only to end-user decriminalization, which has mountains of evidence as an effective alternative to dumping sick people in prisons or letting them OD in gutters.  

AFN.  

21 hours ago, StringJunky said:

What temperature do you need to drink that at,  -14c?

If anyone served me a beer above 10C, I would throw it back at them...either Ale or Lager.

4 hours ago, TheVat said:

Though I have participated minimally in this thread, with brief comments on decriminalization, I would rather not be turned into a Straw Man, or attached to other posters' positions.  I have no problem with the rule of law, or control of harmful substances, be it leaded paint, horse dewormer, or crystal meth.   I was referring only to end-user decriminalization, which has mountains of evidence as an effective alternative to dumping sick people in prisons or letting them OD in gutters.  

AFN.  

I have already given token support for decriminalisation.

3 hours ago, Peterkin said:

FWIW - what Beecee alluded to wasn't my position.

Isn't it? You seem to want free reign on the legality and availability of drugs in society from where I am. But if I am wrong, then please explain yourself, in simple language, without any of your jibes or condescending, and I will gladly retract.

18 hours ago, MigL said:

Never tried VB, but I did like Fosters when it was first imported, Beecee.
It was crisp and refreshing, which I like since I drink beer to quench thirst ( not get drunk ).
When it became a local brew, it tasted like all the other Canadian beer, and I stopped buying it. Same happened with Carlsberg.

I tend to like beers brewed in the German tradition ( Heineken, Stella, Kronenberg, or even Tsing Tao ), not beers that require 'chewing'; sorry Stringy.

Despite the antics of Crocodile Dundee (alias Paul Hogan) and Fosters Lager, VB is the most popular in Australia followed I think by XXXX Gold. I still drink Fosters when VB maybe unavailable, but my Son drinks Asahi, (despite my threats to disown him 😉) an imported Japanese Lager. In recent times there is now a heap more variety with many imported types on the market.

40 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Not again, no.

😅 If that's what makes you happy.

One of our greatest Prime Mnister's Bob Hawke was well known for being a drinker and was at one time when President of the ACTU (Australian Council of Trade Unions) photographed drinking a yard glass...Bob Hawke: Former Labor prime minister dead 89, best beer moments -  nine.com.au

The big bloke to his left is imo Australia's greatest ever PM's Gough Whitlam. Bob Hawke on being elected then swore of drinking for the term of his prime ministership and was true to his word. 

"Mr Hawke explained why it was so important he gave up the beers.

“I said to myself, ‘If you are going to become prime minister of this country, you cannot be in a position where you can make a fool of yourself in front of the country’,” he said. “I

never had a drop for the whole period I was prime minister.”

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/bob-hawkes-complicated-relationship-with-drinking/news-story/f1e3e06cc2d0826f30f6a8c4a7bd9cc3

Members' Bar - Functions at OPH | Functions at OPH | Museum of Australian  Democracy at Old Parliament House

The member's Bar in Parliament House......

529 Parliament House Canberra Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images  - iStock

Edited by beecee

21 hours ago, MigL said:

But not a single current German beer on the list. You are really old if you remember when the Heineken family or the founders of the Tsingtao brewery were German ;) (I guess you like Pilsner?)

On 5/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, Phi for All said:

Oh please. The foodservice giant they use for catering at the US House is uber-greedy, they used to be a client of mine. Sodexho took over the contract in 2015 and like all big corporations, they need steady growth, and offering booze to their clients is an easy way to assure that. 

This isn't because of liberal politics or even alcohol, this is because we've allowed too much privately owned enterprise in our public intstitutions.

Too true, Phi for All.                                                                 And like I said, for whatever reason, it appears that Alcohol just may be a "necessity" in that walk of life at least.

from : https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/05/us-economy-foreign-policy-tatters-pelosi-s-new-capitol-caterer-delivers-booze-directly-office/

" Nancy Pelosi has a history of ridiculous statements and positions.  Now, with the US economy and foreign policy falling apart, she’s making it easier for lawmakers to access liquor at the US Capitol.  Now Nancy and her comrades don’t have far to go to get their drinks. 

The Daily Wire reports:

Members of the House of Representatives may now order beer, wine, and spirits and have them delivered directly to their offices, a new development that could help lubricate those late-night budget negotiations. The perk is courtesy of Capitol Hill’s new caterer, hospitality services giant Sodexo, and was first reported by Fox News Channel’s Chad Pergram.

2) Wine and beer was often available at catered receptions on Capitol Hill. But now booze can go directly to a Member’s office.

And, they can order in bulk.

Fox is told that this can be paid with private money or a campaign funds. "

links to peruse :

https://t.co/P5HmEv5xGV

https://thehouse.misofi.net/menugrid.asp?mode=p&a=13&cg=22&intOrderID=&intCustomerID  

Capitol Hill Drinks on Demand and Quick FixDrinks on DemandView All 

Check Date Availability

Drinks on Demand (Bulk Orders)

Drinks by the Case
Drinks ready for pick up or delivery to your office. Call us at 202-225-1403 with any questions.

Price Varies
DETAILS
Beer - Same Day
A variety of beer selections sold per case of 24 packs.

Price Varies
DETAILS
Liquor - Same Day
A variety of liquor selections sold per 750 ml bottles.

A variety of sauvignon blanc wine selections sold per 750 ml bottles.

Price Varies
DETAILS
*"dictates"

Edited by et pet
clarification

3 hours ago, et pet said:

I do not know whether she does or not
I have not claimed she drinks

How does this pertain to the OP, the legality of alchol.
Seems to be more of a political commentary; and off topic.

13 hours ago, MigL said:

How does this pertain to the OP, the legality of alchol.
Seems to be more of a political commentary; and off topic.

OP  =  Why is alcohol legal ?

??  =  The people responsible for deciding/making the laws relating to legality of alcohol can have Alcohol delivered to their Offices for consumption while deciding/making those same laws.

!!  =  So, if you had Football, Basketball and Baseball Players responsible for deciding/making the laws relating to legality of Pro Sports,do you suppose those Players would make Pro Sports illegal?

Edited by et pet

4 hours ago, et pet said:

The people responsible for deciding/making the laws relating to legality of alcohol can have Alcohol delivered to their Offices

I'm Canadian. Alcohol is lgal here.
As it is in most parts of the world.
And Nancy Pelosi has nothing to do with its legality here, or in those parts of the world.

So, again, if you have objections to the actions of the current American Government, start a new thread.

9 minutes ago, MigL said:

I'm Canadian. Alcohol is lgal here.
As it is in most parts of the world.
And Nancy Pelosi has nothing to do with its legality here, or in those parts of the world.

So, again, if you have objections to the actions of the current American Government, start a new thread.

In what Post did I state any "objections to the actions of the current American Government" ?

AGAIN

OP  =  Why is alcohol legal ? (in U.S.)

??  =  The people responsible for deciding/making the laws relating to legality of alcohol (in U.S.) can have Alcohol delivered to their Offices for consumption while deciding/making those same laws.