Is Red Light Therapy safe for eyes?

empleat

I suffer from chronic pain and I want to use Red Light Therapy for sleep (so not directly aimed at eyes) but I have also inflammation and RSI! I can't find a definitive answer (because I have insane headaches and I can't even read currently) whether or not it is safe! I read NIR should be safe, because it is low energy radiation and it doesn't increase heat of an eye to the opposite from a laser! Also an ophthalmologist said the same thing, that it should be safe of this reason! But I also read it shouldn't be aimed direct even at closed eyes!!! But like on a wall, so it hits you indirectly! So what would be problem in this case, if it doesn't increase heat?! 

My question is: would red light therapy be safe then - if using NIR, which should be (810-850nm) from this article: https://platinumtherapylights.com/blogs/news/red-light-therapy-side-effects? I Am worried that reflection off monitor, glass table, or a window could damage my eyes! I plan to use it only like 5-15, or like 15-20 minutes before sleep!

Also note they also say both red light, with NIR when used are more efficient to treat problems (so in that case both 630-660nm + 810-850nm I guess): https://platinumtherapylights.com/blogs/news/red-light-therapy-side-effects

ctrl+f this: It’s important to note that although red and near-infrared wavelengths absorb into the body at different depths

I will probably ask my doctor also, or go like to ask an ophthalmologist, still would like to here your opinion! It would help a lot, thanks!

A danger with NIR is that your body doesn’t detect it efficiently, so your pupils will not constrict in proportion to its brightness as it would for visible light. 

IR-blocking safety glasses would be prudent, but eyes shut should be fine.

Did you meant to use glasses when it is reflected like from a wall, or when it is situated directly above your head? No glasses are perfectly hermetic tho! Although after like a reflection from a wall: IR glasses on top of that would limit significant amounts energy that reaches your eyes. Then it could be perhaps OK?

- I also read even with eyes shut: it shouldn't directly aim towards your eyes (I Am still not sure about this)!

I Am going to google yet IR glasses tomorrow, or hopefully fins something specific... Thanks for answer!

1 hour ago, empleat said:

Did you meant to use glasses when it is reflected like from a wall, or when it is situated directly above your head?

Whatever the potential danger is.

1 hour ago, empleat said:

No glasses are perfectly hermetic tho! Although after like a reflection from a wall: IR glasses on top of that would limit significant amounts energy that reaches your eyes. Then it could be perhaps OK?

That’s the function if the glasses - laser glasses are often OD5 or OD6 (optical density; the number indicates the number of orders of magnitude of attenuation)

I recalled I could check user manuals, what they say there! For BIOMAX (expensive one) they say eye protection is not necessary, they only say you shouldn't look directly into it. I would have to check relevant manual of device I'll get to for instructions... I also could get benefits, if it hit my eyes indirectly, as I have also eye issues. I will check with my doctor too also about this for sure! Anyways I wanted to be sure, if it hits eyes indirectly, if it is not damaging! Which seems it will depend on a device too, but should be safe without glasses!

Thank you for answers!