the human brain’s visual image processing speed

Guest Michael_dean

Guest Michael_dean

Hello,

I’m sure nearly everyone has observed this before.

I was watching a movie the other day and it had an old wagon in it. As the wagon went by the camera, the wagon wheel spokes appeared to be turning in reverse. The reason this occurs is because the shutter speed of the camera in relationship to the wheel spoke speed causes a time sequencing event. Explaining how this occurs in detail would require a fairly lengthy letter. I’m sure most understand how it happens.

When I saw it happen this time, I started to wonder if anyone had tested the human brain’s visual image processing speed.

Is anyone aware of tests that have been conducted regarding this?

Sincerely,

Mike

I'm not sure, but the effect you're talking about is not limited to cameras.. Sometimes I notice rims on cars doing the same thing. Sometimes the blades on my fan appear to be spinning backwards as well. It has to be just at the right speed though.

Guest Michael_dean

Another note:

I’m wondering if the visual neurological system adapts to environmental timing conditions. Such as; the eye adapts to light intensity, does the brain adapt in sequencing events in order to discern a moving objects appearance? If so, how rapidly does it adjust and is this an operation of the brain that can be “exercised” so to speak? Why do certain environmental optical conditions cause nausea, can they be overcome?

Weird scenario, I can sail in the worst of storms, below deck or above and not get sea sick. I can drive a car or ride in one and not get sick, if I lay down in a back seat of a car while it’s moving I sometimes get a bit nauseated but never in a boat. If I play certain video games such as games that have simulated quick forward motions of direction, I get real nauseated (sweat and nausea) . Obviously these situations also center on equilibrium functions also, either omitted or included, as in, either, we feel what we see or we don’t. I know that’s a bit off the path of the neurological visual timing issue, but, their obviously linked within the system.

Guest Michael_dean

Blike,

Yes, I have noticed that also. It seems we can also cause that to change, as in; I have watched a fan and I have mentally tried to cause the blades to appear to be moving at differing speeds and directions. It appears we can change that processing speed through concentration and effort. One day I was driving down the freeway and a center divider had those green vertical blinds standing on end at an angle. I concentrated on them in my peripheral vision as I drove by them. At one point a purplish light appeared within them. I think we have all noticed these things in one form or another.

I’d really like to find some research work that has been done in this area.

There are a few good optical illusions on Grand-Illusions.com that help understand how eyes and brains can be fooled.

The eye processes and refreshes near a limit of 24 times a second and that is why we start seeing the black flicker between frames of film at that speed or slower. Flourescent lights strobe at 60X sec so we see a continious light.

Popular science ran a few examples on optical illusions and explanations in the last few months.

Just aman

• 1 year later...

When I saw it happen this time' date=' I started to wonder if anyone had tested the human brain’s visual image processing speed.

Is anyone aware of tests that have been conducted regarding this?

[/quote']

Yes, lots of tests have been done on the visual system. I can't remember the names of any major researchers atm but as soon as I will, some will be posted here.