Trolling (split from Quick Forum Questions)

30 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

Why do I keep getting called a troll? Trolling is when you deliberately try to anger people, and it's probably obvious that that is not what I'm trying to do, at all.

It also involves hijacking threads to take them off-topic, much like you’re doing here. 

Intent is hard to assess. If the result of a post is that people get angry because the thread has been dragged off-topic, yet again, the label should be understandable. And as that’s what is happening, it’s not at all obvious that it’s not intentional.

The one thing in your favor is the maxim that one should not assign to malice that which can be assigned to incompetence 

You can shed the label by improving your post quality.

1 hour ago, iNow said:

It also involves hijacking threads to take them off-topic, much like you’re doing here. 

?? I am not doing that

In fact I haven't done that even once

The original topic was for forum questions. Rather than call a bunch of attention to a mostly dead subforum I simply posted this (a forum question) in that topic. I was trying to be courteous and I have once again been labeled as a troll!

For another thing it would have to be pretty extreme as a case of thread jacking to constitute trolling, I don't see why you're so eager to assume that someone is purposely trying to piss you off that even well-intentioned attempts to contribute (or, hell, just make everyone laugh!) are seen as such a thing. 

I make jokes sometimes but that's not because I want to make anyone angry, I want them to laugh :( I am a jubilant person, and I hope you will come to appreciate that

I couldn't troll my way out of a paper bag, INow, and I don't have anything against you, nor do I have any sort of intention of getting a rise out of you - or anyone else here! I joined out of desolation and loneliness. I don't get any kicks out of having ill intent, and I'm plenty willing to be nice and kind to everyone here, so I'm bewildered to see you think I'm such a villain.

I don't even like to insult people!!!

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Intent is hard to assess. If the result of a post is that people get angry because the thread has been dragged off-topic, yet again, the label should be understandable. And as that’s what is happening, it’s not at all obvious that it’s not intentional.

The one thing in your favor is the maxim that one should not assign to malice that which can be assigned to incompetence 

You can shed the label by improving your post quality.

I haven't even done that, though, really

&

Obviously I'd like to be up to speed with the expected quality of posts

But it doesn't make much of a difference when almost everything I post is labeled trolling and cut out to the "trash can" :(

Edited by Kittenpuncher
A couple things weren't plural/grammatically correct

16 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

I was trying to be courteous and I have once again been labeled as a troll!

If you’re not intentionally misrepresenting me, then it’s possible this relates to reading comprehension challenges (as I didn’t do that). 

18 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

nor do I have any sort of intention of getting a rise out of you

Don’t worry. You’ve succeeded in this. 

19 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

I joined out of desolation and loneliness

I’m sorry to hear that, but (for now) nobody is saying you aren’t welcome. No need to be melodramatic.

This community, like all others, has a culture or a gestalt and some of the feedback you’ve received is intended to help clarify for you what that is. 

Maybe you’d prefer being ignored?

1 hour ago, iNow said:

But you said this? 

I like having well and capable reading comprehension, sir

I don't really understand how I have upset you but I'll listen, if you would go ahead explain it

I guess you wouldn't know, melodramatic isn't really an appropriate label (which I realize is saying a lot usually and it's basically nothing in this scenario even still) but we haven't even introduced ourselves to each other technically and I wouldn't expect you to just guess such extraordinary circumstances to be mine

Obviously I'm trying to be a part of the community and being ignored would basically rain on that parade. I don't suppose that you'd wave off your anger, would you? I have no idea what's causing it to be triggered by literally almost every single post I make, and it shouldn't really be taken as the ultimate factor in your moderation decisions.

Wait, I'm being hazed, aren't I? Soon you'll proverbially burst out a welcome banner and we'll all pretend to have a gigantic cake (in asterisks or something), right? Right? 😅🥳

1 hour ago, Kittenpuncher said:

I make jokes sometimes but that's not because I want to make anyone angry, I want them to laugh

If it's not working, you might want to re-examine your working assumptions.

I joined out of desolation and loneliness.

It's not going to be assuaged if you keep pissing people off. (Come to think of it - How did that desolation and loneliness come about?) The choice of handle - however hilarious you may find the back-story - is a little off-putting to begin with. Maybe hold back on the humour until you get the feel of the place. Walk down the main street of Jerusalem gesticulating with a bacon and cheeseburger, you're bound to raise a few hackles.

I meant to mention that, the name, I mean

Obviously it's the most likely reason why someone would be upset with me

I've used this handle for a long time, it's become a standard

It's pretty rare for me to tell this story but oh well here it is, the story behind my internet monicker

When I was young, the most stereotypical video game profile name was "dragonslayer"

And I was really young so I thought I'd go with "kittenslayer" to reflect that

... Until I thought about that for a second and was like, wait a minute! That's awful

So I decided to PG-rate it and change kittenslayer to kittenpuncher

And basically it really caught on, and I don't think there was anybody else with that name

A lot of people liked it and there was a running gag where I'd tell a different origin for the name every time, or facetiously lament a harrowed, gritty "backstory" wherein kittens somehow destroyed my life, killed my family or even committed horrific war crimes against "my" nameless, made-up nation in a brutal and terrible conflict

So it caught on and everyone knew me by this name soon enough

One thing lead to another and I guess my mind sort of draws a blank if I'm pressed to come up with a different one anyway

Yeah

As for how my loneliness and desolation came about - that is a very long and complicated story, each of the interweaving components of it are the sort of thing people are practically hard-wired never to believe

It's like that trope, "the noodle incident", except literally even more over the top, so...

It would take a lot of effort to recover the repressed memories I'd need to regain in order to explain any significant amount of it, I believe

But I was basically stalked, to the point where I became a household name, though a pariah, over falsehoods spread about me with rabid obsessiveness

All of my friends vanished, I think it's unlikely that more than a few of them survived, and my family bought into the rabid accusations, and some people have evidence that they may be dead as well

Eventually my internet friends also disappeared, and accusations against them are pretty rampant nowadays

And I've been in great poverty and also homeless pretty often, typically I was the youngest one amongst the homeless and generally the only one not out for my own blood, so to speak

I certainly wouldn't be alive if it weren't for the work of The Lord, nor would I have any good experiences or aspects of my life that were good

There's always plenty to be thankful for, ironically

But we may have angered the mod... I did my best to answer without taking up too much time, let's hope he won't be too furious

12 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

As for how my loneliness and desolation came about - that is a very long and complicated story, each of the interweaving components of it are the sort of thing people are practically hard-wired never to believe

Like the kitten thing? It means something to you, but people who have never met you before and have no reason to care are not going to start off by asking for your long, complicated back-stories, are they? They will respond to what you post. If they like that, they'll put up with a dumb name (I should know!) and eventually, if they have reason to believe you, they might even care about your tale of woes. 

12 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

But we may have angered the mod

We? The mods are not so easily angered. They've dealt with much bigger problems with perfect equanimity.  

Edited by Peterkin
repetition

Funny thing about this name, most people seem to be responding to the name, whatever I'm actually saying is dust in the wind, against all odds, even, with some

I know most people either don't care or won't show it. There's usually not a whole lot of changing that, these days

But if you decide to read it, it's right there for you! Whee.

Silent chortles because you didn't even read the kitten thing either apparently? Oh well

Re: mods

I guess he's just having a hard time or something, then

20 minutes ago, Kittenpuncher said:

Silent chortles because you didn't even read the kitten thing either apparently?

Can you not get this? Nobody has a reason to give a flying fig.

A little more substance instead of self-pity and dust in the wind might get you farther. 

3 hours ago, Kittenpuncher said:

I don't really understand how I have upset you

You haven’t. 

we haven't even introduced ourselves to each other technically

TBH, I don’t really care who you are. I care what you say and how you say it. 

I don't suppose that you'd wave off your anger, would you? I have no idea what's causing it to be triggered by literally almost every single post I make

I assure you, you’ve not angered me. Perhaps this is another example of the reading comprehension problems I speculated about above?

it shouldn't really be taken as the ultimate factor in your moderation decisions

2 hours ago, Kittenpuncher said:

But we may have angered the mod... I did my best to answer without taking up too much time, let's hope he won't be too furious

Re: mods

I guess he's just having a hard time or something, then

I’m neither angry, having a hard time, nor a mod at this site.

That's what I figured when I looked at your profile but it seemed like you were the one doing the modding

So I wasn't sure

But still

Fantastic plot twist, gentlemen

Now I must head off in hopes of good dreams and peaceful rest, perhaps even slumber is to be had

And so

adieu

10 hours ago, Kittenpuncher said:

?? I am not doing that

In fact I haven't done that even once

Given that your posts have been split into new threads three times, I’d say that the staff disagrees with you.

I haven't even done that, though, really

You can assess this by the responses you get, which say that yes, you are doing this.

&

Obviously I'd like to be up to speed with the expected quality of posts

But it doesn't make much of a difference when almost everything I post is labeled trolling and cut out to the "trash can" :(

It makes a great deal of difference moving forward whether or not you modify your behavior based on this feedback.

9 hours ago, Kittenpuncher said:

Wait, I'm being hazed, aren't I?

No. You’re being given feedback from the community and staff regarding behavior considered annoying/unpleasant though not yet requiring more drastic staff action.

I will note that in the supreme court discussion you brought up the notion of some people being "race traitors". Which is not something that was under discussion at all in the thread. It's a dubious idea and you didn't do anything to support it with actual facts and data.

It's off-topic for that thread, so it's a hijack, and unsupported, so contrary to the ideals of a science discussion site. It's something that adds to your reputation as one who engages in trolling. It's something that can easily be viewed as an attempt at provoking a contentious discussion. It certainly does not endear you to people who want to engage in discussion without such distractions.

Just something to consider.

On 4/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, Kittenpuncher said:

I meant to mention that, the name, I mean

Obviously it's the most likely reason why someone would be upset with me

It might have set a poor tone, but it's not the reason you're viewed as a troll.

On 4/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, Kittenpuncher said:

It's like that trope, "the noodle incident", except literally even more over the top, so...

It would take a lot of effort to recover the repressed memories I'd need to regain in order to explain any significant amount of it, I believe

But I was basically stalked, to the point where I became a household name, though a pariah, over falsehoods spread about me with rabid obsessiveness

All of my friends vanished, I think it's unlikely that more than a few of them survived, and my family bought into the rabid accusations, and some people have evidence that they may be dead as well

Eventually my internet friends also disappeared, and accusations against them are pretty rampant nowadays

And I've been in great poverty and also homeless pretty often, typically I was the youngest one amongst the homeless and generally the only one not out for my own blood, so to speak

I certainly wouldn't be alive if it weren't for the work of The Lord, nor would I have any good experiences or aspects of my life that were good

There's always plenty to be thankful for, ironically

I don't think you understand the purpose of a science discussion forum. We can't possibly help you with your mental health, other than to help you learn some science through discussion. Constantly bringing up problems we can't help with is frustrating for EVERYONE. 

If you're looking for more internet friends, it's not a good tactic to start out complaining about how you were stalked on the internet and lost all your friends. It's not a good tactic to join a conversation and then make it all about you. It's not a good tactic to base your whole forum style on things we can't possibly know or check on. 

If you actually listened to the feedback you've gotten in various threads, you wouldn't need to make threads like these. You could read the room and realize nobody wants to discuss "the work of the Lord" on a science discussion forum. Unless your life experiences give context to the science discussion you've chosen to join, you don't need to mention it. Focus. Stay on topic. Remember that this is like sitting around a table talking. What you've been doing is jumping up on the table and screaming, "But what about THIS!" 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, swansont said:

I will note that in the supreme court discussion you brought up the notion of some people being "race traitors". Which is not something that was under discussion at all in the thread. It's a dubious idea and you didn't do anything to support it with actual facts and data.

It's off-topic for that thread, so it's a hijack, and unsupported, so contrary to the ideals of a science discussion site. It's something that adds to your reputation as one who engages in trolling. It's something that can easily be viewed as an attempt at provoking a contentious discussion. It certainly does not endear you to people who want to engage in discussion without such distractions.

Just something to consider.

Well I misspoke in that thread, I meant that people usually throw that idea around about black politicians

Obama was a good example, especially with all of that different conspiracy stuff, a lot of black people I've met said they saw him like that

On 4/12/2022 at 9:17 AM, Phi for All said:

It might have set a poor tone, but it's not the reason you're viewed as a troll.

I don't think you understand the purpose of a science discussion forum. We can't possibly help you with your mental health, other than to help you learn some science through discussion. Constantly bringing up problems we can't help with is frustrating for EVERYONE. 

If you're looking for more internet friends, it's not a good tactic to start out complaining about how you were stalked on the internet and lost all your friends. It's not a good tactic to join a conversation and then make it all about you. It's not a good tactic to base your whole forum style on things we can't possibly know or check on. 

If you actually listened to the feedback you've gotten in various threads, you wouldn't need to make threads like these. You could read the room and realize nobody wants to discuss "the work of the Lord" on a science discussion forum. Unless your life experiences give context to the science discussion you've chosen to join, you don't need to mention it. Focus. Stay on topic. Remember that this is like sitting around a table talking. What you've been doing is jumping up on the table and screaming, "But what about THIS!" 

Honestly I've been slandered so much by you people since I joined, every time I post the only responses I get are people going out of their way to insinuate problems with my posts and being manipulative, trying to insult me and generally holding me to a completely different standard than what applies to everyone else

Like you ignored the fact that he actually asked me to explain all of that, and as a matter of fact, so did he

And you'll probably pretend that he didn't ignore it because it's opportune

I don't see a reason to be here but there's no way to even delete my account so

🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, Kittenpuncher said:

Well I misspoke in that thread, I meant that people usually throw that idea around about black politicians

Which is still off-topic for that discussion, since it didn’t center on black politicians 

On 4/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, iNow said:

Are you being forced to keep logging in and posting?

Yes

On 4/14/2022 at 3:24 AM, swansont said:

Which is still off-topic for that discussion, since it didn’t center on black politicians 

?? I said a lot of stuff about it, that was just one thing, it was related, part of the topic's question

8 hours ago, Kittenpuncher said:

?? I said a lot of stuff about it, that was just one thing, it was related, part of the topic's question

The thread is about the president appointing a judge. The politician is Joe Biden, who is white. So no, it’s not part of the topic’s question.