perpetual motion machine (split from topic of the same name)

JamesL

1 hour ago, pzkpfw said:

No x 2.

The indigenous people of New Zealand are the Maori.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori

The "O" in "OMC" is from "Otara". This is a low-income area of Auckland, our biggest city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMC_(band)

Thanks for correcting me. I've also watched the movie Whale Rider. It shows some of the struggles of transitioning to

what people today expect. The University of of Kentucky is one of the best basketball schools in the U.S. When they had a player

who was Maori, they did do a part of their native dance. Tai Wynard was his name. I had seen the movie Whale Rider previous to this.

With the girl, I'm building Bessler's Wheel while her people had an unfinished boat. After saving the whales because of her, maybe

you've seen the movie?

And at the start of the movie with her "walk", who doesn't like that? When it works you'll like it. How do you get people to become a community?

Before that, I liked her stoner uncle who had the trophy. That's kind of how things work in the real world.

Please understand that I know that discrimination happens.

From Finland;

And

And with https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/great-scene-whale-rider-e8c4505b330d

@NO2, I actually liked the movie Whale Rider. I also like movies like Ride Like a Girl and Go Kart Rider.

Edited by JamesL

1 hour ago, JamesL said:

Thanks for correcting me. I've also watched the movie Whale Rider. It shows some of the struggles of transitioning to

what people today expect. The University of of Kentucky is one of the best basketball schools in the U.S. When they had a player

who was Maori, they did do a part of their native dance. Tai Wynard was his name. I had seen the movie Whale Rider previous to this.

With the girl, I'm building Bessler's Wheel while her people had an unfinished boat. After saving the whales because of her, maybe

you've seen the movie?

And at the start of the movie with her "walk", who doesn't like that? When it works you'll like it. How do you get people to become a community?

Before that, I liked her stoner uncle who had the trophy. That's kind of how things work in the real world.

Please understand that I know that discrimination happens.

From Finland;

And

And with https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/great-scene-whale-rider-e8c4505b330d

@NO2, I actually liked the movie Whale Rider. I also like movies like Ride Like a Girl and Go Kart Rider.

Before my curiosity regarding the wheel in the opening post is completely gone, can @JamesL provide an answer to the questions below? Please stay on topic and please do not post massive amounts unrelated material.

Per your ideas, are the following statements true for the wheel you show in the video* in the opening post?  

1: The wheel will periodically return to the same configuration where all parts are at the same position as at some time before, for instance once every 360 degrees of rotation.

2: The wheel will slow down and stop if there is no gravity, for instance if the wheel is in free fall or taken far from any source of gravity. 

3: In gravity greater than earth gravity the wheel will speed up.

*) Let's pretend for the sake of discussion that the wheel actually works; meaning, as far as I can tell from the descriptions, that once the wheel is started it continues to rotate without any source of power, but there has to be gravity. It does not matter at this time how it is supposed to work or that it can't work according to known laws of physics, that may be covered later. 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, JamesL said:

I thought I'd share work I have been doing on what is known as Bessler's Wheel. His original book at the Rare Book Library

at Utrecht University in Utrecht, Netherlands. If you click on the yellow go to digital version button, the digitized version of

his book.

https://www.uu.nl/en/utrecht-university-library-special-collections/collections/early-printed-books/scientific-works/das-triumphirende-perpetuum-mobile-orffyreanum-by-johann-bessler

Why perpetual motion is impossible from Dr. Baird;

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2014/01/08/since-gravity-is-unlimited-can-we-use-it-as-an-infinite-energy-source/

Where I am at on my build. It stops rotating because the retraction line stops it. And according to Newton's 1st Law of Motion,

gravity is an outside force as well as the resistance of the retraction line. The trick is that the weight that rotates upwards does

not move further away from its fulcrum at the top right of the disc. So technically no work is performed moving the weight closer

to the axle of the wheel. The work performed is the wheel rotating. And when it rotates, the arm moves away from the fulcrum of

the weight wheel assembly. And with Bessler, he wanted to start an engineering school and chances are he knew analytical trigonometry.

Also Gottfried Leibniz has been said to watch an actual Bessler wheel. And if all goes well and this demonstration is in fact an accurate

representation, next month I should have a working wheel which then would demonstrate that gravity has energy.  And this then would

allow for the conservation of energy. This is the prototype and I have started working on a display model. Dr. Jaski at Utrecht University

knows that I would like to do a demonstration with Bessler's original book.

Did you say 'ta-ra'? ;) 

Sorry, that was a cheap joke.

Thank you for providing evidence that it doesn't work --as exchemist has explained.

I would also demand of any claim that any of the thermodynamic principles fails, a complete thermodynamic explanation, as well as a thorough examination from mechanics, or field mechanics, or quantum mechanics if need be; of why that thermodynamic principle fails, or an exception is met in that particular case.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:06 AM, exchemist said:

By the way, I watched the video and burst out laughing. The wheel conveniently moves only a quarter of one turn...... and then one of the weights falls off. Hilarious.

Thanks for the heads up.  I typically don't watch these videos, but based on your description I watched this one.  It is pretty hilarious!😄

2 hours ago, joigus said:

Did you say 'ta-ra'? ;) 

Sorry, that was a cheap joke.

Thank you for providing evidence that it doesn't work --as exchemist has explained.

I would also demand of any claim that any of the thermodynamic principles fails, a complete thermodynamic explanation, as well as a thorough examination from mechanics, or field mechanics, or quantum mechanics if need be; of why that thermodynamic principle fails, or an exception is met in that particular case.

And we're back to the difference between quantum mechanics and relativity. And then once it's observed again, what will the explanation be for not considering

that it might be possible to conserve energy? Wind turbines are an extremely simple example of conserving energy. Of course the wind blows because of the Earth's rotation.

People tend to say some other reason. Yet what happens when the troposphere expands during the day and then collapses during the evening? What happens when the volume of a given area decreases or increases? What does thermodynamics say about this? And yet wind patterns are actually associated with jet streams that exist in the tropopause. And yet nothing of consequence happens there.

So maybe understanding where the wind comes from to power a wind turbine isn't as simple a concept as why a wind turbine works. Yet gravity is g = G(M/r^2). Simple.

Bessler's wheel might be the inverse problem? Maybe?

Just an odd thought. People didn't believe the stories that the Wright Brothers built an airplane and flew it around my hometown of Dayton, Ohio. Those claims were ignored because America's foremost scientist Langley failed, it was considered impossible. It took a Brazilian (Alberto Santos-Dumont) in Paris to prove powered flight was possible.

Then people said the Wright Bros.

On 4/10/2022 at 9:14 AM, JamesL said:

But as you said, you only consider what's known and won't consider what you don't know.

17 hours ago, JamesL said:

Since swansont doesn't like me, only people raised by "real" Americans are right. As he said, if he doesn't know it, I'm stupid.

!

Moderator Note

You need to stop putting words in other people's mouths. It's a bad faith argument tactic, it's intellectually dishonest, and it makes it very difficult to discuss science with you in an amicable manner. If you can't use actual quotes from other members, perhaps focusing on your own arguments would be best.

18 hours ago, JamesL said:

Since swansont doesn't like me, only people raised by "real" Americans are right. As he said, if he doesn't know it, I'm stupid.

And yet Portland, orgeon voted the owner of nude bars to be its mayor. The guy actually only owned 2. Yet as swansont told me,

I am limited by what he knows in this forum. And he banned me because what I was pursuing in atmospheric chemistry did

not support his understanding of science because he was limited to atomic physics.

!

Moderator Note

So you've been banned before. Meaning this is a sockpuppet account, used to evade a ban, which violates the rules and calls for an immediate ban

Irony here being that I might not have noticed this were is not for some bogus revisionist history and the mention of my user name in a thread where I had not been a participant.

9 minutes ago, joigus said:

JamesL's trajectory on SFN is the closest to a perpetual motion I've seen here.

Two cycles and counting...

But their visit here was not completely without friction, so the cycles may be slowing down and the motion eventually come to a halt? :-)

15 hours ago, joigus said:

JamesL's trajectory on SFN is the closest to a perpetual motion I've seen here.

Two cycles and counting...

I think he might have been identified earlier if his material were more interesting, and garnered more attention. Perpetual motion claims are pretty boring, IMO.

Anyway, nothing more to see here. We've captured the droids we were looking for. Move along...