Is it rational (for an athiest) to believe in religion?

dimreepr

33 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Which is more rational to believe without evidence: Something that makes you happy or something that makes you laugh?

Dawkins can't prove that God doesn't exist, yet he's happy to point the finger and claim, they're delusional.

Not every religion claims the supernatural, karma for instance is practically Newtonian.

"Which is more rational to believe without evidence: Something that makes you happy or something that makes you laugh?" -- Equal.

"Dawkins can't prove that God doesn't exist, yet he's happy to point the finger and claim, they're delusional." -- He doesn't need to. See above. Also, see your own B. Russell's quote: "...as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake."

"karma for instance is practically Newtonian" -- I disagree.

1 minute ago, Genady said:

"Which is more rational to believe without evidence: Something that makes you happy or something that makes you laugh?" -- Equal.

"Dawkins can't prove that God doesn't exist, yet he's happy to point the finger and claim, they're delusional." -- He doesn't need to. See above. Also, see your own B. Russell's quote: "...as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake."

"karma for instance is practically Newtonian" -- I disagree.

truth.jpg

1 minute ago, Genady said:

The Old Cherokee is being simplistic to a degree of being wrong. But, it is perhaps OK as a starter for a little kid.

We have to learn somewhere/sometime...

Can you explain why the old man is wrong?

2 hours ago, beecee said:

In other words, unscientific.

That doesn't follow from the definition you provided.

"generally relates... to supernatural... however, there is no scholarly consensus."

"Traditionally, faith, in addition to reason, has been considered a source of religious beliefs."

There are more than enough caveats in your provided definition of religion to have a religion that is entirely consistent with science.

Just now, Genady said:

Yes. Not "us all", not always "two", and not always a "battle."

Welcome to our world of grey; in order to teach a child, we need to paint a monochromatic picture first, and then smudge the colours.

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Welcome to our world of grey; in order to teach a child, we need to paint a monochromatic picture first, and then smudge the colours.

That was what I've said, wasn't it:

22 minutes ago, Genady said:

But, it is perhaps OK as a starter for a little kid.

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Depends on your level of understanding, IOW how is karma wrong?

All or not all, two or not two, battle or not battle - does not depend on anyone's level of understanding.

What it has to do with karma? What does the phrase "karma is wrong" mean?

Just now, Genady said:

I don't know what skeletons are in your closet, but they bother you.

We all have something we don't want to admit, but I forgive myself; seems more rational to me, than blaming someone else...

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

Because I have had some interest in the question of rationality of a belief in religion (by an atheist). I have a big ZERO interest in your struggles with life.

Then you ignore the question of life and it's value...