A passage about Racism

Guest Keiyoushi

Guest Keiyoushi

Before I registered here, Zeo came and asked me to put this here, because he would never return..he also asked me to register...but that's another story.

personally, I think he was being a bit over critical about the whole deal...well...I guess you can see for yourself:

Everyday, I see people being made fun of based on how they act. Most of the time, they are made fun of as homosexuals. But why would it matter? Why is it wrong? The belief that being homosexual was instilled in the common man’s mind is from the bible. In the bible, it states that being homosexual is wrong. That if you were homosexual, then you were a heathen. In a sense, the bible is a form of discrimination. I am not insulting the bible, but we should not follow EVERYTHING it says. We should create our own beliefs, rather that following the stereotypical theme instilled by the bible. We should still look at the lifelong lessons of the bible, and learn what it has to teach, but we should not make one-sided views on people.

But then where does the racism come from? When the ‘white’ man discovered the ‘black’ man, the ‘white’ man instinctively thought he was better. This is based on the fact that the ‘white’ man believed he was better than the ‘black’ man based on the color of the skin. This is yet another stereotypical view which governs the human sense of judgement. Instead of following the views of someone who is long and gone, why not get to know the person. Nowadays, racism isn’t such a large issue as it once was. The “Jim Crow” laws are no longer in effect. However, people are still edgy about blacks. That isn’t to say that blacks aren’t edgy about whites either.

Everyone is quick to judge based on who they observe people. If a man were to act differently, then he is commonly thought of as ‘gay’ or ‘queer’ or some other synonym representing homosexuality. This is wrong. Of course this is wrong. But why is being gay wrong? Does it matter? People who discriminate against gays probably do it because they are ashamed of it. Either that or they are afraid of it. Don’t get me wrong, it could make perfect sense of why someone is ashamed of what the human race is evolving into. Being afraid of it makes perfect sense as well. People are afraid, because they do not understand it.

I always knew Yami had issues with the whole racism deal...but when Iread this....boy. Anyway...looking for thoughts.

Did I miss something? When did Zeo leave?

Get him back here so I can ask him why the white man thought he was better than the black man based on skin colour, rather than the fact that he didn't live in a mud hut or chase Impalas with a spear.

Is this his way of saying that discrimination against homosexuality is racism? I'd have to agree.

I think he's hit the nail on the head - fear. Racism, sexism etc in many respects is born out of fear of the differences (physical, emotional, mental, moral - take your pick) between the 2 groups - the fear that this other group will disrupt their own comfort zone, put into question long-held beliefs and values, and challenge the established culture and way of life.

It's probably significantly more compex than that but fear most likely features in the heart of the matter somewhere.

Everyone at some point in their life has been the subject of some form of prejudice, whether that is as a result of race, religion, gender, sexuality, age etc. The trick is to try to learn from that experience and not engender the hatred but that's easier said than done.

Discrimination against homosexuality isn't racism for the simple fact that it has nothing to do with race. Discrimination against homosexuality would have to be classified as sexual orientationsim. I believe discrimination against homosexuality is based on the fact that it is not natural. The penis is meant, by nature, to be inserted into the vagina for the purpose of procreation. Don't get me wrong though, I don't condone this mentality. If we as humans are so intent on abiding by the laws of nature then we shouldn't be flying, driving, or doing anything else that we can't inherently do via using only our bodies as nature intended.

It can most definitely be considered racism.

* 15 entries found for race.

4 - Humans considered as a group.

* 2 entries found for racism.

2 - Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

As can prejudice against people with ginger hair, left-handers etc.

My hair used to be reddish (faded somewhat as I grew older) and my husband is left-handed. His grandmother tried to make him right-handed. This was probably due to some old biblical crap about left-handed people being the devil's spawn (sinister and all that). I believe there is also mention of red-haired people being "bad" in the bible but I'm not sure. I hate bigotry of any sort but we all find it to some degree, Scots are mean and drunk all the time (not true - Hollywood take note), English people are all villainous and/or cowardly with a stiff upper lip (not true - Hollywood take note), Irish people are all amusing, quaint and ignorant (not true - Hollywood take note), the Welsh are all........ err.......good singers? So what I'm saying I suppose is that all so called ethnic minorities or "groups" are subjected to racism or bigotry to some degree - it will never change so live with it. My dad is a retired cop and I've lost count of the times I (and my brothers) got chased, bullied etc. by the local low-life in the small towns we lived in. Until my brothers grew very big and started beating the crap out of anyone who crossed them that is.

You are correct, it can be called racism. You would be incorrect but you can certainly call it that.

Discrimination of homosexuality is unequivocably NOT racism. The definition of racism is as follows:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Therefore, discrimination based on any factor other than race is NOT racism.

Originally posted by daisy

I believe there is also mention of red-haired people being "bad" in the bible but I'm not sure.

I don't think it says that red-haired people are bad - but just about everyone in the Bible who is evil or a bit dodgy "happens" to have red hair - evil by association you could say.

But let's remember that this is the same book where people live to 600, their wives turn into pillars of salt and sex with close family members is okay as long as a passing angel gives you the nod.

:rolleyes: