To All Women in Science

joigus

To all women @SFN, and to all women in science: Happy Women's Day!!

We value you, trust you, we love your work, and we wish you to keep going strong. Most importantly: We are inspired by you.

You're better off without a Y chromosome, believe me. 

What's your favourite woman in science?

Mine is Emmy Noether.

8 minutes ago, joigus said:

We value you, trust you, we love your work, and we wish you to keep going strong. Most importantly: We are inspired by you.

Mine is Emmy Noether.

To all people in science, we're better off together...

Mine is Tiera Guinn: https://www.engineergirl.org/40724/Tiera-Fletcher-Guinn (after hypervalent_iodine, of course!)

Born and raised in a small town near Atlanta, Georgia, Tiera Fletcher (Guinn) has had a passion for aerospace engineering since the tender age of eleven. Before then, she had aspirations of being a scientist, inventor, architect, mathematician, and many other careers within the field of STEM. It was not until she became introduced to the field of aerospace engineering that she realized her true dream. Tiera graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a Bachelor’s of Science in Aerospace Engineering in June 2017. During her time at MIT, she was also a part-time Rocket Structural Design and Analysis Engineer at The Boeing Company, specifically working on NASA’s Space Launch System. Currently, TIera is a full-time employee of The Boeing Company working to build NASA's Space Launch System in New Orleans, LA. She has a strong interest in helping upcoming generations to realize and achieve their dreams. Tiera enjoys speaking to youth to not only encourage them to become more involved in STEM, but to reach their goals in any field they wish to pursue.

26 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

To all people in science, we're better off together...

Sounds like "All lives matter". The title is "Women in Science".

11 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Cometh the man, cometh the woman...

Cometh the comedian, cometh the comedown. And cometh the comet, cometh the final homecoming. :D 

You still haven't told me your favourite woman in science, DR.

Edited by joigus
Quote addition

18 minutes ago, joigus said:

Just now, dimreepr said:
21 minutes ago, joigus said:

She, hasn't told me yet...

19 minutes ago, Genady said:

My favorite woman in science is Rosalia Arshakovna, my math teacher in school, many eons ago. I don't even know her last name :( 

She must have been a great teacher!

Edit:

I'll never forget Mercedes Serra, she taught me maths and physics. I wonder what became of her.

Edited by joigus
Addition

1 hour ago, joigus said:

Mine is Emmy Noether.

For legal reasons that would be my wife.

Pretty close tie between Ada Lovelace, Rachel Carson, and Emmy Noether.  Carson pretty much rocked my world when I was a child in the sixties and increased my interest in biology and ecology.  Her book The Sea Around Us was the first science book I owned.  

LOL, @CharonY

2 hours ago, joigus said:

You forgot to tell me your favourite woman in science

Good topic +1

I vote for some of those whose work was (originally) stolen ( in no particular order )

Rosalind Franklin

Lise Meitner

Jocelyn Bell

Eunice Foote

Katherine Johnson

and if I am allowed to include a Russian

Sofia Kovalevskaia

18 minutes ago, studiot said:

Good topic +1

I vote for some of those whose work was (originally) stolen ( in no particular order )

Rosalind Franklin

Lise Meitner

Jocelyn Bell

Eunice Foote

Katherine Johnson

and if I am allowed to include a Russian

Sofia Kovalevskaia

Thanks for your interest. Your numbers 1, 2, and 6 are in my heart too.

Another one is American biologist Barbara McClintock, discoverer of transposable genes. 

4 hours ago, studiot said:

Rosalind Franklin

I am still bitter about this. When I read the Watson & Crick paper as an undergrad, I was confused as there was so little (no) data in it. But for a long time I simply assumed that I was just to stupid to understand it properly. Only later, when I wanted to use it for teaching myself (and dabbled a bity with crystallography), I realized that Franklin actually published a paper with the data the way it should have been. It also highlighted the limits of interpretation based on the resolution she obtained. But I never heard about it during my time as a student. 

It is was kind of a watershed moment for me realizing disparities regarding selling a narrative and following the data in science (and especially for women).

5 hours ago, joigus said:

Mine is Emmy Noether.

Mine is Madam Maria Curie, as much for her back breaking work as for her dilligence, and discoveries. 

Other's that come to mind are Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey.

2 hours ago, MigL said:

Mine also.
But there are many others similarly underated by their contemporaries.

Emmy Noether's case is particularly poignant for me, because of the ratio (treatment she got)/(genius)x(human qualities). Plus the theorem that bears her name is my favourite of all mathematical physics. She seems to have been an extremely nice person too. But yes, there are many. Many who had it worse than Noether too.

2 hours ago, beecee said:

Mine is Madam Maria Curie, as much for her back breaking work as for her dilligence, and discoveries. 

Other's that come to mind are Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey.

Absolutely. Standard bearers. Jane Goodal in particular is one of my heroes.

I was in two minds about posting this. Most women prefer day-to-day action, rather than this kind of gestures. But then I thought, what the hell. I couldn't not do it.

• 1 month later...

Madam Curie and her husband Pierre Curie, imo will always go down as the epitome of hard working scientists. There back breaking work in extracting Radium and Polonium in minute amounts from tons of Pitchblende ore is the stuff Of legends. After  winning the Physics Nobel with Pierre,  Maria carried on their work winning the Nobel prize in  Chemistry also. Their daughter Irene, went on to win another Nobel in Chemistry along with her husband Frederick Joliet.

Other women were not as fortunate as Curie and her daughter......

https://phys.org/news/2022-05-women-scientists-forgotten-history.html

The women scientists forgotten by history:

French doctor and researcher Marthe Gautier, who died over the weekend, was one of a long line of women scientists who greatly contributed to scientific discovery only to see the credit go to their male colleagues.

Gautier, who died at the age of 96 on Saturday, discovered that people with Down's syndrome had an extra chromosome in 1958.

But when she was unable to identify the exact chromosome with her lower-power microscope, she "naively" lent her slides to geneticist Jerome Lejeune, she told the Science journal in 2014.

She was then "shocked" to see the discovery of the extra chromosome 21 published in research six month later, with Lejeune's name first and hers second—and her name misspelled.

It was not until 1994 that the ethics committee of France's INSERM medical research institute said Lejeune was unlikely to have played the "dominant" role in the discovery.

more at link........................

Others of note down through the ages are...................

Rosalind Franklin: and the discovery of the DNA double helix.

Jocelyn Bell Burnell:  and radio Pulsars.

Lise Meitner: Nuclear Fission.

Chien-Shiung Wu: The conservation of parity.

Edited by beecee

The list would be far too long. Even during my time (which is not that long) I have seen female scientists getting shafted. Of course it is not exclusively them, though I'd say disproportionately so. Some of the arguments I have heard was along the line that they are likely going to have kids someday whereas the other guy (who did nothing) could have a brilliant career with more first authorships using her data.

Such overt things are slowly dying out, but there are other more subtle ways.