Travelling faster than the speed of light would mean entering a parallel universe?

Jalopy

According to Einstein, if you go faster than the speed of light, you go back in time. 

Obviously you can't go back in time in the literal sense of the word, but you can go back in time in the sense that you can enter a parallel dimension where t=-1 compared to the present universe where t=0. 

Is that true?

Edited by Jalopy

14 hours ago, Jalopy said:

According to Einstein, if you go faster than the speed of light, you go back in time. 

Obviously you can't go back in time in the literal sense of the word, but you can go back in time in the sense that you can enter a parallel dimension where t=-1 compared to the present universe where t=0. 

Is that true?

No.

Superluminal speeds are inconsistent with causality: there are situations where you can get a response to a signal before you send the signal.

Depending on what you mean by parallel dimensions, they are science fiction or an interpretation of QM. Not actually science itself. 

On 3/4/2022 at 6:12 AM, swansont said:

No.

Superluminal speeds are inconsistent with causality: there are situations where you can get a response to a signal before you send the signal.

Depending on what you mean by parallel dimensions, they are science fiction or an interpretation of QM. Not actually science itself. 

Isn't it also true that the many worlds interpretation of QM cannot be verified by inductive methods and is therefore extremely unscientific? That's what I've heard, but you'd probably know for sure.

5 hours ago, MSC said:

Isn't it also true that the many worlds interpretation of QM cannot be verified by inductive methods and is therefore extremely unscientific? That's what I've heard, but you'd probably know for sure.

It's an interpretation, not a theory. i.e. it's there to aid in figuring things out. I don't think that makes it "very unscientific" It would be like saying using ROY G BIV as a mnemonic to remember the spectrum is unscientific. It's not claiming to be science, and it's not contrary to science, so that label doesn't apply.