Good and evil vs cause and effect

Jalopy

Good and evil are arbitrary constants wherein human beings measure, on a scale of relativity, how each other's actions measure up to the needs and wants of the others. 

In the theme of cause and effect, good and evil don't matter. 

Cause and effect; that nothing matters. The law of the jungle prevails and the winner is the fittest, the smartest. 

The cause and effect ideology vs the good and evil ideology, which one is better for a society? 

Even if the law of the jungle did prevail, the weaker creatures would evolve in other ways to survive. It's just that evolution in a cause and effect society would be haphazard, and depend on individual needs. In other words, every single organism would evolve differently, a law unto self. 

In the good and evil themed society, morals and values would be established by the masses and everybody would follow those rules, but evolution would be hampered greatly. evolution would not be required, for everybody would just get along under one blanket of rules. The rules, a secondary set of values, might evolve. 

Is this world a cause and effect society or a good and evil society? 

Or does a cause and effect society, at some point, turn into a good and evil themed society? 

2 hours ago, Jalopy said:

Good and evil are arbitrary constants wherein human beings measure, on a scale of relativity, how each other's actions measure up to the needs and wants of the others. 

Please explain: arbitrary constant on a scale of relativity

2 hours ago, Jalopy said:

The cause and effect ideology vs the good and evil ideology, which one is better for a society? 

Neither of those is an ideology. Cause and effect prevail throughout the universe, in all manner of interactions, processes and events. No person, entity or thing has any choice regarding the chain of causation; it proceeds regardless. The concept of good and evil is limited to human philosophies; they figure to some degree and in some form in all human philosophies.  

Jungles have no laws, except those physics, chemistry and biology.

If any societies are organized on the basis of those "themes", please provide examples of each.

• 2 weeks later...

Some religions and cults sit out every war because they believe it's "evil".

But if everybody did that, Hitler would be in charge of half the world by now, and the Japs in charge of the other half..:)

Below: food for thought-

iwo-flag.jpg

war-Ger-Surrend-Gery45.jpg

Edited by Dropship

On 3/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, Jalopy said:

Good and evil are arbitrary constants

The evidence is that they are not arbitrary, but rather are loosely expressed cultural reflections of instinctive behaviours. Nothing arbitrary there.

Contrary to some popular thought, once can compare apples and oranges. However, comparing physics with ethics is less productive.

The law of the jungle prevails and the winner is the fittest, the smartest. 

I sense that you do not understand what fittest means in an evolutionary context.

I see that you are unaware of the importance of cooperation. It is on a par with competition. (Arguably more important.)

I guess you have no idea of the major role played by luck.

Given such weak premises I couldn't see any point in giving the rest of your post much thought, though I would be happy to discuss why you are wrong, if you wish.

On 3/3/2022 at 7:16 AM, Jalopy said:

Cause and effect; that nothing matters. The law of the jungle prevails and the winner is the fittest, the smartest. 

Why would good and evil not be subject to cause and effect? Isn't the point about doing good or doing evil all about consequences, ie the effects?

Also, is "the law of the jungle?" actually a thing? It isn't a term used much by biologists. Lots of animals are social and engage in co-operative behaviors. Cooperation and Competition both have their place. Even the fiercest warriors can be thankful that they can go home to a community that will care for them when injured or in their old age.

I saw evil in my late dad so I know it exists, for example as a kid he couldn't handle the fact that I might grow up to be cleverer than him, so he gave me a torrent of verbal abuse throughout my childhood to break my self-confidence and it worked until I hit my early teens and realised he was just a sh*t dad, and from that point I began to patch the holes he'd shot in my self-confidence and became the strongest person I know..:)