Steroids

Royston

I've googled related topics on steroids and keep on getting 'dangers of using anabolic steroids' et.c So I was wondering if anyone could answer the below.

As a child I used to suffer from severe eczema, thankfully it's now under control. However a couple of months ago I had another outbreak and was prescribed a strong steroid cream called Dermovate.

I know anabolic steroids (which obviously this cream is not) inhibits the release of adrenaline, the cream I use seems to speed the healing process...though I'm not sure this is exactly what's happening.

What is the fundamental process of a steroid on the body ? I can't seem to see the relation between anabolic steroids and the topical steroid cream I'm using.

Also (I know this covers two topics) there seems to be a lot of skepticism on what triggers eczema outbreaks...does it work in the same way as an allergy. I found it very difficult to pinpoint exactly what made my condition worse as I grew up.

I know for a fact now that yeast based products seem to cause problems (marmite being particularly bad...but I love it, and sadly beer), I had a really severe case after trekking through the alps in the rain, so I was wondering if this could of possibly been mould floating in the air due to damp conditions ? This could account for weather changes causing problems...but I also experience outbreaks in really hot weather sometimes ???

What I mean is

antibiotics...attack bacteria by interfering with the cell wall construction, or interferes with the bacterias energy transfer from glucose et.c

aspirin...thins the blood, and aids in preventing clots et.c

steroids....?

I'd like a little more detail than these explanations, especially the steroids explanation :)

Glider you're clearly the expert in this field, I'd be very grateful for some insight :)

Right...I managed to get a good definition.

A steroid is a type of lipid...an organic compund that is soluble in nonpolar organic solvents, but not water e.g fats / oils et.c

In humans steroids are secreted from the testes or ovaries, the adrenal gland and the placenta.

Many steroids are biologically active hormones that control the bodies metabolic processes...including testosterone / estrogen. The steroid hormones from the adrenal cortex include glucocorticoids such as cortisone (which I believe is my area of interest with regards to the cream I use) and cortisol.

The cream I currently use (very occasionaly) is clobetasol propionate...and is a high potency corticosteroid. Funnily enough it promotes hair growth...my house mate has started eyeing the tube :)

Corticoid reduces the bodies immune response and swelling, so that answers my question that eczema is similar to an allergy (hereditary though)

http://www.answers.com/topic/steroid

Clobetasol is indeed a glucocorticosteroid, as are most of the steroids used medically. Clobetasol is effective in treating eczema flare ups, though you only need to use a small amount.

Definitely not recommended to use steroids to promote hair growth, unless you want your skin to thin etc. If your house mate is worried about hair loss, he can try minoxidil (Regaine, available from pharmacies), or if that doesn't work his doctor could prescribe finasteride 1mg tabs (Propecia) on a private prescription (and will cost around £25-£30 per month).

Clobetasol is indeed a glucocorticosteroid' date=' as are most of the steroids used medically. Clobetasol is effective in treating eczema flare ups, though you only need to use a small amount.

Definitely not recommended to use steroids to promote hair growth, unless you want your skin to thin etc. If your house mate is worried about hair loss, he can try minoxidil (Regaine, available from pharmacies), or if that doesn't work his doctor could prescribe finasteride 1mg tabs (Propecia) on a private prescription (and will cost around £25-£30 per month).[/quote']

I was joking, but I'll be sure to pass on your advice. I think he needs a fine tipped pen and some patience...(he's an exceptional artist.) :)

• 6 months later...

Well good news for eczema and asthma sufferers, they've pinpointed the gene that leads to the disorder...so hopefully this will be an end to the use of steroid creams which are not particularly good for the kidneys, please see BBC article below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/4817512.stm

Experts led by the University of Dundee have discovered the gene which causes dry skin, leading to eczema and asthma.

The gene produces the protein filaggrin, which helps the skin form a protective outer barrier.

Experts hope to use the discovery for more effective therapies to tackle the root causes of the conditions, rather than simply treating the symptoms.

At the moment the only treatment is through the use of emollients and ointments or anti-inflammatory drugs.

"If you imagine the disease as a burning building, up until now we've just been throwing buckets of water on the roof"

• 1 month later...

There was no point in making another topic for this. Luckily I found this one to use.

I've slightly overdosed on 1% hydrocortisone steroid cream. The area of infection is now mutated skin cells. I wouldn't say it looks ugly, but its noticable. I think its minor skin athropy.

What do I do? (I know this is not the place fo medical advice) is there a natural remedy that will temporarily aid the recovery of the skin until I next see my doctor (e.g. some lubricant oil etc)

As a child I used to suffer from eczema really badly to the extent to which it would be all up my legs and arms and keep me up at night becasue of the itching. My parents who are a bit mad on 'alternative' medicine convinced me to use a herbal based cream which actually worked extremely well and would clear it up in a few weeks.

I havn't had bad eczema for years but unfortunately I am starting to get it again, which is probably due to the recent unseasonable warmth in Bath which usually trigger it. Anyway I will try and find this herbal cream again and see if it works like I remebered it to and if so i'll give you name of it if your interested.

There was no point in making another topic for this. Luckily I found this one to use.

I've slightly overdosed on 1% hydrocortisone steroid cream. The area of infection is now mutated skin cells. I wouldn't say it looks ugly' date=' but its noticable. I think its minor skin athropy.

What do I do? (I know this is not the place fo medical advice) is there a natural remedy that will temporarily aid the recovery of the skin until I next see my doctor (e.g. some lubricant oil etc)[/quote']

I'm not sure why you would need a lubricant for mutated skin cells...are you getting small hard lumps where you've been applying the cream ? If there is infection, you need to see a doctor, who may prescribe anti-biotics to stop the infection spreading...are you sure it's infected, the area would be swollen and painful.

You must of been applying the cream very heavily to have the effect of the skin cells mutating...where I've been using steroid cream for most my life (now only occassionly) I have small lumps appear in the same spot, that come and go, and are nothing really to worry about...but let us know exactly what you're suffering from, and I should be able to give you some advice.

As a child I used to suffer from eczema really badly to the extent to which it would be all up my legs and arms and keep me up at night becasue of the itching. My parents who are a bit mad on 'alternative' medicine convinced me to use a herbal based cream which actually worked extremely well and would clear it up in a few weeks.

I havn't had bad eczema for years but unfortunately I am starting to get it again' date=' which is probably due to the recent unseasonable warmth in Bath which usually trigger it. Anyway I will try and find this herbal cream again and see if it works like I remebered it to and if so i'll give you name of it if your interested.[/quote']

My sister went to see a dermatologist / quack...I say quack because I found her methods dubious. However, my sister was told that spores are a likely candidate that may cause the skin to react. This kinda makes sense, when you apply it changing weather conditions. When it's wet, spores are likely to be produced, and when it's warm the spores are likely to be circulated in the air due to rising air currents...my skin has become bad when there are excessive changes in weather.

Ok - turns out - its a fungal infection. (Thats what I've been prescribed with anyway)

I've been prescribed HC 1% again - along with some antifungal

(Miconazole nitrate 2%).

I tried to find out how this had happened. Lets just say the word 'quack' comes to mind. It kind of looks like a fungal infection so I'm not complaining.

So the questrion is: what would cause these fungal skin outbursts on the face? I was told that it could be an allergen by a different doctor.

I'll try googling it - I'll doubt I'll find precise information.

Sorry cloud, I missed your response, so apologies for the late reply.

You can get steroid and nitrate based combination topical creams for fungal infections, they are not full proof, but let us know how you get on. My only advice is go easy on the Hydrocortisone...especially if the problem is on your face. Despite HC being a relatively weak steroid cream, you will cause other problems if you're applying the cream liberally.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't particularly like combined antifungal/corticosteroid preparations. The problem with them is that the steroid should be stopped once the rash has gone, but the antifungal needs to continue for about a week after the rash hs gone to completely get rid of the fungus.

With regards to eczema, it is essential that emollients are used as frequently as possible, and at least three times a day. If used in this way the need for steroid treatment is greatly reduced.

With regards to eczema, it is essential that emollients are used as frequently as possible, and at least three times a day. If used in this way the need for steroid treatment is greatly reduced.

Good point I really should of mentioned this, steroid creams do thin and wrinkle the skin, (as stated earlier) so it's essential to keep the skin lubricated. IIRC emollients such as E45 dilute steroid creams (please correct me if I'm wrong on this) which makes the effect of the steroid less severe.

Emmolients can dilute steroid creams, so there needs to be a gap between their application, because you need the full effect of the steroid to reduce the inflammation. Topical steroids should not need to be used continuosly, they should only be used to treat flare ups.

Emollient use is the cornerstone of eczema treatment, and it is important to realise that emollients can also be used as soap substitutes. Using a standard soap will just strip the lipid layer away from the skin, drying it out. There are many different emollients available, and the most effective ones are the most greasy ones, such as emulsifying ointment, however they are also the least cosmetically acceptable.

Unfortuantely, for some people emollients and topical steroids aren't sufficient and some quite heavy duty drugs may be used by dermatololgists