A pro Putin section in the US?

geordief

We have seen Trump's pitch on the Russian move into Ukraine.

"Isn't Putin smart?But I am   pally with him and together we will come to an arrangement that suits the two of us and shithouses like Ukraine will  do as they are told when I am elected"

A fair paraphrase?

How likely that he will gain (enough) support for his Make Trump and Putin Great Again  project ?

D Trump is an imbecile and a continuing joke.

However idiots like T Carlson and T Gabbard ( who I have lost all respect for ) are taking this opportunity to attack President Biden while making excuses for V Putin.
And they call themselves patriots ....

2 hours ago, MigL said:

Trump is an imbecile and a continuing joke

And yet even members of my own immediate family all day are posting stuff like this:

image.thumb.png.140a39673f3c00b4a9a81fb796989b9e.png

2 hours ago, MigL said:

And they call themselves patriots ....

Turns out “patriot” as a term is being rapidly co-opted to mean white supremacist… the way neonazis and KKK members refer to themselves

Have there been any polls yet to indicate how many (in the US) will openly support the attempted military take over of Ukraine by Putin's Boy Soldiers?

(They would be a Trump constituency  I'd have thought,)

Edited by geordief

38 minutes ago, geordief said:

Have there been any polls yet to indicate how many (in the US) will openly support the attempted military take over of Ukraine by Putin's Boy Soldiers?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/negative-views-russia-cold-war-levels-amid-ukraine/story?id=83108605

Partisanship largely falls away in views of Russia -- large majorities of Democrats (86%), independents (81%) and Republicans (78%) call it either unfriendly or an enemy of the United States. So do 80 to 88% of political liberals, moderates and conservatives alike, an unusual level of agreement in these typically divided groups.

RussUSRelationship_v01_LY_1645809856497_

I wonder if that spike in popular support for Russia in 93, corresponds with B Yeltsin standing on top of a tank, holing the Russian flag, in defiance of the hard-liner Generals who wanted a return to Cold War ways.

I guess those Generals finally won when V Putin took office.

21 minutes ago, MigL said:

I wonder if that spike in popular support for Russia in 93, corresponds with B Yeltsin standing on top of a tank, holing the Russian flag, in defiance of the hard-liner Generals who wanted a return to Cold War ways.

Well I was reasonably happy when he took office because he seemed competent and might hold Russia together rather than see more turmoil.

I don't recall asking myself under what authority Yeltsin handed over the reins of power to a man of his choice(hardly democratic)

I didn't foresee his craze for power and his amorality. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, MigL said:

Man wait until you see the spikes in their alcohol consumption per capita under Yeltsin and Putin..

6 hours ago, MSC said:

Man wait until you see the spikes in their alcohol consumption per capita under Yeltsin and Putin..

Please help make that happen by sharing evidence of it.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:45 AM, iNow said:

Turns out “patriot” as a term is being rapidly co-opted to mean white supremacist… the way neonazis and KKK members refer to themselves

The political players who thought branding their legitimate political opponents as traitors was a good idea probably saw it simply as a small but effective way to build a reluctance to change sides in their voter base. The larger consequences of that probably didn't concern them - winning at all costs was the point. But political discourse and democratic elections are the principle ways to avoid deciding things by violence - ie to avoid winning at all costs turning everyone into losers.

2 hours ago, MSC said:

No need!

Thank you. +1

1 hour ago, Ken Fabian said:

But political discourse and democratic elections are the principle ways to avoid deciding things by violence - ie to avoid winning at all costs turning everyone into losers.

We seem to be moving away from that. Less discourse, less trust in elections, more violence. 

Not just January 6, either. Conflagrations on airlines are way up. Traffic accidents and aggressive road rage behaviors are way up. People are getting into fist fights in grocery stores, and not just on Black Friday. Neighbors are throwing punches and bottles across the fence. 

Social mores keep the peace, and they're being rejected. See also: Refusal to wear masks during a pandemic or get vaccinated, but I digress...