Sydney Horrific Shark Attack:

beecee

Last Wednesday a professional diver was attacked and killed by an estimated 4mtr Great White Shark. This is the first death from shark attack in near 60 years on Sydney's many beaches, but what makes this attack out of the ordinary, is that it wasn't just a nudge or bite and then swimming away, this poor swimmer was attacked from below, launched into the air, and (as described by onlookers) landed again with a thud. The attack then continued, and sadly not much of the vicitm has been found so far. According to witnesses, he was attacked from below, launched into the air, and landed like a car back into the water. The attack then continued and the victim was dragged further away from the shore line. Here is the account of that horrific attack..... 

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/human-remains-found-following-sydney-shark-attack/news-story/cc4ad25e52c5eecaf8fe5f8c235bd596

A number of popular beaches across Sydney will be closed on Thursday after a swimmer died from “catastrophic injuries” in a horror shark attack at a popular beach.

Dozens of swimmers and fishermen witnessed horrifying scenes as the swimmer spent his final moments screaming for help and trying to fight off the monster great white shark.

The man was swimming off Buchan Point near Little Bay Beach about 4.30pm Wednesday when he was killed in the city’s first fatal shark attack in almost 60 years.

Remains of the swimmer were later found, including half a wetsuit, with onlookers watching in horror.

Shane Daw of Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter said no shark had been spotted yet.

Police and emergency crews have continued to search for the shark overnight, closing beaches from Coogee all the way down the coast to Cronulla in Sydney’s south.

Surf Life Saving’s George Shales said beaches are expected to be closed for at least 24 hours.

Emergency services rushed to the scene after onlookers reported the terrifying attack.

Shocking footage shows the moment the shark latched onto the man’s body and dragged him underwater.

The predator can be seen thrashing his body around.

“Someone just got eaten by a shark,” the man recording the video could be heard yelling, adding it was a “big great white”.

A fisherman can be heard yelling in footage: “Someone just got eaten by a shark. Oh man! Oh no! That’s insane. That’s a great white shark.”

“The person’s still there, I just saw a four to five metre great white explode on the surface just here on a swimmer and it was like a car landing in the water,” the man said.

“F*** man, I heard a scream and the shark was just chomping on his body and the body was in half just off the rocks here.

“It came back and swallowed parts of his body and that was it. It disappeared.”

Huge splashes could be seen with the water in the area turning red and birds circling above.

Another woman yelled “oh my god … what the f***?” in disbelief.

Emergency services were quickly called to the scene where they found half a wetsuit.

“Footage clearly shows a body, half a body being taken by a shark,” a police officer told colleagues over a scanner.

“They have found some remains.”

Dozens of people were swimming and paddle boarding at the beach at the time of the attack.

Witnesses said they heard the swimmer yelling at the time of the attack.

“Some guy was swimming and a shark came and attacked him vertically,” Kris Linto, a witness, told 9 News.

“We heard a yell and turned around it looked like a car had landed in the water, a big splash then the shark was chomping at the body and there was blood everywhere.

“It was really bad.”

Mr Linto claimed he saw a 4.5-metre great white shark attack the swimmer.

more at link..........

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The spot where this happened is near the headlands of the entrance to Botany Bay, and a spot where I have swum and surfed many times.

There is also reportedly some gruesome video of the complete attack, which I have not watched nor have searched for.

The vicitm was a British ex-pat who loved Australia and the waters surrounding Sydney and was a month from getting married after a covid19 12 month delay.

Places We Swim: The Almost-Secret, Secluded Little Bay Beach

5 hours ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

I don't understand two things:

- what are they doing while beaches are closed - do they look for the shark?

In the event of any shark sighting or attack, beaches are automatically closed. The shark if simply a sighting, is chased out to sea. If it is after an attack or mauling, drum lines are set and a more intensifying search takes place. When caught, it is removed from the area and again, taken out to sea.

In this incident, all beaches were closed along the south coast for 24 hrs, and no more sighting of the shark was ever seen. The only thing so far recovered are human remains and half a wet suit. 

42 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

If you go where sharks go...

True, we all know the risk, which is pretty small, when compared to the 100,000 or more Sydney siders that go to our many beaches every weekend, and the number of attacks that occur.

6 hours ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

what will they do if they find the shark?

It only makes sense to me if sharks can learn the new food source (like tigers, perhaps) - do they?

As said, it will be removed from the area. This bloke had on a black wet suit and was more then likley taken for a seal. The big problem with this case, is that no more sighting of the shark has been seen. Which probably means it has swam out to sea, and didn't particularly like his new food source. 

My best guess as to why this unfortunate event happened: Shark faced a bad season for favourite food, like, eg., sea lion. Pressed by hunger, tries getting nutrients from other source, even though it's not adecuate for shark's nutritional needs --humans have no blubber.

I don't think the shark case is anywhere near the tiger case as to behavioural patterns.

Just an educated guess on my part.

3 hours ago, joigus said:

I don't think the shark case is anywhere near the tiger case as to behavioural patterns.

Yes, that was also my thinking.... I was afraid that they plan to kill the shark; which would make no sense unless sharks can quickly habituate to new food. Fortunately, Beecee explained that they are only planning to move it somewhere else.

21 hours ago, beecee said:

This bloke had on a black wet suit and was more then likley taken for a seal. 

Easily possible. Still I would imagine that there are actually too few shark attacks worldwide that science would have some reliable statistics about wet suit color and shark attack probability?

[Which leads me to a funny idea :) ... let's paint seals into various colors and patterns and check if some can survive for longer... and then paint our wet suits accordingly.]

3 hours ago, joigus said:

My best guess as to why this unfortunate event happened: Shark faced a bad season for favourite food, like, eg., sea lion. Pressed by hunger, tries getting nutrients from other source, even though it's not adecuate for shark's nutritional needs --humans have no blubber.

Just an educated guess on my part.

The other probable reasons are that natural currents may have shifted ocean temperatures the water temperatures this year is 26 degrees C,  along with our increased rainfall due to ElNino.

https://www.sharknewz.com/shark-attacks-australia-due-to-change-in-water-temperatures/

Still us Aussies being a water loving lot, and having many miles of surfing beaches to practise at, shark attacks will always be on the cards, albeit rarely.

6 hours ago, mistermack said:

More people are killed by dogs. And trees. 

Sharks are more scary than trees, because they have lots of pearly white teeth. 

Yeah I honestly prefer chancing sharks than any number of other threats. Statistically have better odds of survival in comparison.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.