Might Makes Right & that is the Truth

RamaRaksha

33 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I've said why I think they do have and where I think it comes from.

Which means absolute rot. As long as you been here on this SCIENCE site you'd think that by now you'd catch on that you cannot make claims without evidence. You've been doing this type of crap for ages. Please knock it off.

3 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I believe I did support my claim, with references to human evolution. It's a wide field. If you don't think human evolution was of a fiercely territorial nature, then you don't even have the basics and citations would mean nothing to you. However, here are a few

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/004724847690035X  

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1364661321001522   

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/28/5661186/evolution-war-cause 

I think you have to be pretty blind NOT to detect any aggressive racist or territorial tendency in human nature, but if you can't work it out for yourself, then the evidence is abundant. Google is great for finding stuff out. I can recommend it. 

All of your bullshit links have to do with territory, not racism. 

9 hours ago, mistermack said:

What complete rot. I'm responding to the fact that racism has been a constant feature of mankind's behaviour, for millenia.

Apologies for taking this off-topic a bit, but nope. Territorial and group behaviour has been with us for a long time. However, the principles of race and racism is a somewhat modern development stemming from the enlightenment period where naturalists like Carl Linnaeus starting to organize nature into categories, such as species. These ideas where then eventually also applied to humans, which created the rough categories we still use to this day (typically white, black and Asian which really does not capture our genetic diversity, but that is a side point of an already off-topic post).

Before, folks might have been discriminated based on looks or, perhaps more commonly, origin. However, the general assumption is that is less a system which we would associate with racism in the moderns sense but more a rejection of others, which is related, but not really the same. I will say that there is at least one work (I forgot the author, but can find it out) that argues that in antiquity we already found something akin to  proto-racism which might even be the precursor of the modern form of racism. That book is slightly controversial, as it goes against the common mainstream historic thought of attitudes in that era (e.g. based on how Romans and Greek would describe other ethnicities). But assuming that everyone had always a sense of race throughout human history is just not really evidenced.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:06 PM, exchemist said:

Ballocks. Participles belong to verbs. There is no verb to intricate, or to be intricated.

Bollocks, you say?. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intricate#English (not the OED, humor me):

From Latin intricatus, past participle of intricare.
Verb intricate (third-person singular simple present intricates, present participle intricating, simple past and past participle intricated)
(intransitive) To become enmeshed or entangled. 
(transitive) To enmesh or entangle: to cause to intricate.

Someone made it that way, so we use an adjective to describe that. Examine how the OP(original post) conflates a theological idea of salvation only inside the church or salvation of the elect (not by works) with in-group vs. out-group preferences, commonly known as rayyyyyyyycism. This intricates the issue to one including two hot button issues that are then resolved into not an actual question, random capitalization, and a declaration of might makes right in an intricate display of sophistry. This is my supporting evidence for my claims, and, I SAY GOOD DAY, SIR. BALLOCKS!

4 hours ago, NTuft said:

Bollocks, you say?. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intricate#English (not the OED, humor me):

From Latin intricatus, past participle of intricare.
Verb intricate (third-person singular simple present intricates, present participle intricating, simple past and past participle intricated)
(intransitive) To become enmeshed or entangled. 
(transitive) To enmesh or entangle: to cause to intricate.

Someone made it that way, so we use an adjective to describe that. Examine how the OP(original post) conflates a theological idea of salvation only inside the church or salvation of the elect (not by works) with in-group vs. out-group preferences, commonly known as rayyyyyyyycism. This intricates the issue to one including two hot button issues that are then resolved into not an actual question, random capitalization, and a declaration of might makes right in an intricate display of sophistry. This is my supporting evidence for my claims, and, I SAY GOOD DAY, SIR. BALLOCKS!

You are right: I stand corrected.

My full version of the OED gives two meanings for the verb (summarised by me) as: to render intricate, or to entangle or ensnare. The OED however describes it as  "now rare" and all but one of the examples of its use are from before 1750 (the exception being a Dundee journal, in 1900).

So using it as a verb today is a fairly bizarre choice, liable to confuse.

Edited by exchemist