The Science Of Stupidity.

cultsmash

I have been to just about every forum there is.  What I most often run across is stupidity.  Why?  Mainly because what I consider to be the fundamental human right of freedom of speech isn't allowed.  I see that getting into the finer points of science is what this forum is all about.  But without freedom of speech, you are all just well trained slaves.  Trained seals flapping your flippers together for treats.  Most likely, this doesn't bother you.  You may feel that your education is a bigger fish to fry.  And from what I have seen, most people want to be led.  They prefer fantasy to reality.  Nobody really cares what happens.  As long as it happens to someone else.  People would rather be wrong than be told they are wrong.  I am also reminded of something said by Upton Sinclair.  "It is difficult to get somebody to understand something, especially when their salary depends on them not understanding it."  I also have a statement by Samuel Clemens for you.  To paraphrase, he said, "It's easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them that they've been fooled."

Of just about every political or Atheist forum out there, I will show you what they apparently consider to be pure filth.  Feel free to tell me which one you find to be the filthiest.

72005268_GeorgeWashington.jpeg.ede0f1b58fb85e01b1eb002e8fe3a04c.jpeg

FOS1.jpg.36c3bdea4fee2c5048f3bd3a10a5b402.jpg

FOS4.jpg.e11a17aed8b64b53305f49544f87bc9b.jpgFOS5.jpg.d0e49f1975f86d2e1f01507d143186cb.jpg FOS6.jpg.237d2273ae3b94f5a2b3db3f799df4ef.jpg  

FOS7.jpg.de8a2149844978d07cf10f21bb5f7268.jpg   FOS8.jpg.5f3d184ad2780b8cb0710b783d567ed8.jpg FOS9.jpg.ec11e7a679c69680e7ab949b728ce26b.jpg FOS12.jpg.5dd8fecf86180f780c7478d4b6e7dda9.jpg FOS13.jpg.d77ccf18766c69d2f3c64a22e3bd32c2.jpg FOS15.jpg.815f696c4d7b1d4a64c13eb0a777a0d6.jpg FOS16.jpg.b73249a42d1359399f9bca0cde334e2d.jpg

FOS18.jpg.253be7096f3f9de263b6dd67d42b587c.jpg FOS20.jpg.994f0f304af471f026c191cfcca7ec83.jpg

FOS19.jpg.d2854c9e73e305b322dd1cdce2edcd2d.jpg    851100782_GeorgeOrwell.jpg.b4951c12e2ee396feec34c6c945f1630.jpg

FOS2.jpg

15 minutes ago, cultsmash said:

have been to just about every forum there is.  What I most often run across is stupidity.  Why?  Mainly because what I consider to be the fundamental human right of freedom of speech isn't allowed.

The right of freedom of speech involves the government. This forum isn’t run by any government, so it’s a non-issue.

You are visiting a place that belongs to someone else. You are a guest here. Limitations on your speech are well within the authority of those who run this place.

And, of course, disagreement in no way infringes on your right, and neither does being held accountable by others for what you say.

Seems you have a left wing bee in your bonnet.

Let me just say that the right to free speech in any reasonable democratic society, does not include irresponsible, untrue nonsense as statements of facts, that may or may not harm others...( eg: the moron Trump, telling people to take disinfectant or similar to kill coronavirus) not does it give any one that choses to practise your free speech, the right to vilify or marginalize other minorities of society like those of the opposite sex, gays, transgenders, different religious persuasions  etc etc. 

If that's your view of free spech, then go shove it up your clacker.

Voltaire said words to the effect , "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it" beecee adds to that, "but every individual must be responsible for the consequences of what he says"

17 minutes ago, cultsmash said:

I have been to just about every forum there is.

And you've distilled them all down to a few remarks that fit your worldview, yes, we get it. You so great.

Discussion should be interesting, though. Do you think this prejudice of yours is interesting?

“The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!”
 Brian Cox

Edited by beecee

38 minutes ago, cultsmash said:

I see that getting into the finer points of science is what this forum is all about.  But without freedom of speech, you are all just well trained slaves.  Trained seals flapping your flippers together for treats. 

On your very first post in this forum you insult us?!?! Stick it where the sun don't shine.

Do you also arrive to a friends house when they invite you over for dinner, proudly proclaim how you’ve had dinner everywhere and bemoan their menu selection, then start shitting on their carpet and pissing on the furniture and condemning them for not decorating the exact same way you would?

Edited by iNow

@cultsmash -

I have been to just about every forum there is.  What I most often run across is stupidity.  Why?  Mainly because what I consider to be the fundamental human right of freedom of speech isn't allowed. 

There is a big difference between truth and truisms - I see little of the former, lots and lots of the latter.

What hasn't been demonstrated is any deliberate or systematic denial of freedom of speech. So far no-one here has prevented you saying anything, nor prevent others from disagreeing with you - although if the unprovoked insults keep coming (this forum has rules you are expected to abide by) and the discussion goes downhill far enough you might have to freely say things somewhere else.

I expect people here will honestly and sincerely and freely (sometimes quite passionately) discuss and debate the benefits, harms, limits etc of free speech if that is what you want. Is that what you want? If you want everyone to agree with you - you won't get it.

I personally draw the line at wishing people I disagree with harmed or dead and I avoid crude and gratuitous insults but will criticise freely where I think appropriate - freedom of speech means you have to put up with people disagreeing with you.

Edited by Ken Fabian

11 hours ago, cultsmash said:

I have been to just about every forum there is.  What I most often run across is stupidity.  Why?  Mainly because what I consider to be the fundamental human right of freedom of speech isn't allowed.  I see that getting into the finer points of science is what this forum is all about.  But without freedom of speech, you are all just well trained slaves.  Trained seals flapping your flippers together for treats.  Most likely, this doesn't bother you.  You may feel that your education is a bigger fish to fry.  And from what I have seen, most people want to be led.  They prefer fantasy to reality.  Nobody really cares what happens.  As long as it happens to someone else.  People would rather be wrong than be told they are wrong.  I am also reminded of something said by Upton Sinclair.  "It is difficult to get somebody to understand something, especially when their salary depends on them not understanding it."  I also have a statement by Samuel Clemens for you.  To paraphrase, he said, "It's easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them that they've been fooled."

Of just about every political or Atheist forum out there, I will show you what they apparently consider to be pure filth.  Feel free to tell me which one you find to be the filthiest.

72005268_GeorgeWashington.jpeg.ede0f1b58fb85e01b1eb002e8fe3a04c.jpeg

FOS1.jpg.36c3bdea4fee2c5048f3bd3a10a5b402.jpg

FOS4.jpg.e11a17aed8b64b53305f49544f87bc9b.jpgFOS5.jpg.d0e49f1975f86d2e1f01507d143186cb.jpg FOS6.jpg.237d2273ae3b94f5a2b3db3f799df4ef.jpg  

FOS7.jpg.de8a2149844978d07cf10f21bb5f7268.jpg   FOS8.jpg.5f3d184ad2780b8cb0710b783d567ed8.jpg FOS9.jpg.ec11e7a679c69680e7ab949b728ce26b.jpg FOS12.jpg.5dd8fecf86180f780c7478d4b6e7dda9.jpg FOS13.jpg.d77ccf18766c69d2f3c64a22e3bd32c2.jpg FOS15.jpg.815f696c4d7b1d4a64c13eb0a777a0d6.jpg FOS16.jpg.b73249a42d1359399f9bca0cde334e2d.jpg

FOS18.jpg.253be7096f3f9de263b6dd67d42b587c.jpg FOS20.jpg.994f0f304af471f026c191cfcca7ec83.jpg

FOS19.jpg.d2854c9e73e305b322dd1cdce2edcd2d.jpg    851100782_GeorgeOrwell.jpg.b4951c12e2ee396feec34c6c945f1630.jpg

FOS2.jpg

Strange. What's all this about the supposed absence of free speech? Have you had some personal crank theory rejected, or something?   

11 hours ago, cultsmash said:

I have been to just about every forum there is - Nobody really cares what happens bullshit I spout.  As long as it happens to someone else.  People would rather be wrong than be told they are wrong.  I am also reminded of something said by Upton Sinclair.  "It is difficult to get somebody to understand something, especially when their salary depends on them not understanding it."  I also have a statement by Samuel Clemens for you.  To paraphrase, he said, "It's easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them that they've been fooled."

Fixed that for you

I am reminded of the words of famous New York senator, Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." 

Sadly, I don't have 17 meme placards to buttress that with.

15 hours ago, cultsmash said:

Mainly because what I consider to be the fundamental human right of freedom of speech isn't allowed.

I don't think it is a fundamental human right.  Freedom of thought certainly is but in much (most?) of the world the freedom of speech is not a right.  In much of the world the wrong words can get you imprisoned or killed.

16 hours ago, cultsmash said:

what I consider to be the fundamental human right

Exactly. Your opinion is your own. One person out of seven billion. That's all it's worth.

The only way you can make it worth any more, is through persuasion. I think you're doing a great job. 

22 hours ago, swansont said:

The right of freedom of speech involves the government. This forum isn’t run by any government, so it’s a non-issue.

You are visiting a place that belongs to someone else. You are a guest here. Limitations on your speech are well within the authority of those who run this place.

And, of course, disagreement in no way infringes on your right, and neither does being held accountable by others for what you say.

You are wrong.  The rock bottom foundation for freedom of speech involves morality.  And morality is never a non issue.  Anyplace, public or private where people communicate with each other is a place where freedom of speech should be should be part of the framework.  Especially if what is said is true.  Of course, that isn't the case.  And there happens to be a word for it.  SLAVERY!  Also, I posted a meme by Voltaire that said, "The right to free speech is more important than the content of that speech."  As it turns out, Voltaire may not have said it.  Did that smash your cult well enough?

5 minutes ago, cultsmash said:

Anyplace, public or private where people communicate with each other is a place where freedom of speech should be should be part of the framework

Like the NSA, for example? Or maybe in confidential nuclear weapon and bioweaponry research settings?

6 minutes ago, cultsmash said:

And there happens to be a word for it.  SLAVERY! 

Actually, I believe the word you're looking for is "hyperbole." 

Edited by iNow

8 minutes ago, cultsmash said:

You are wrong.  The rock bottom foundation for freedom of speech involves morality.  And morality is never a non issue.  Anyplace, public or private where people communicate with each other is a place where freedom of speech should be should be part of the framework.  Especially if what is said is true.  Of course, that isn't the case.  And there happens to be a word for it.  SLAVERY!  Also, I posted a meme by Voltaire that said, "The right to free speech is more important than the content of that speech."  As it turns out, Voltaire may not have said it.  Did that smash your cult well enough?

Cult? Slavery? 

I have to say that - exercising my right of free speech - I am put in mind of this: 

Edited by exchemist