Members' participation

Genady

3 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

O. M. G. Some of us really have no life, innit? Actually, it's a question of access: I work at the computer anyway and need frequent times out. Since Flash died, I can't even play Stone Garden.☹️

Yep. Somewhat similar here. I read books via Kindle for PC, and the forums window is open on the background, so I notice when something new appears there. Then I go to check at the next convenient stop.

28 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

O. M. G. Some of us really have no life, innit? Actually, it's a question of access: I work at the computer anyway and need frequent times out. Since Flash died, I can't even play Stone Garden.☹️

Well I am retired, but do not neglect any of my household dutues and chores that the better half has set out for me. I post early in the morning, catching up on replies and threads that happened during the night on the other side of the world. A couple of catch ups during the course of the day, and then in the evening until bedtime.

And of course during that period I was in two lockdowns and isolated due to having covid along with the Mrs...we are both now negative. 

Edited by beecee

2 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Excellent!

We've just had our third shot, which is making me a bit heavy-headed today.

We both have had the booster also, which thankfully was the reason that our symptoms during the infection were light to non existent. 

1 hour ago, Genady said:

I was curious about how many and how often post in the forums. Here are the numbers for the week from Saturday, January 29 to Friday, February 4. Including only the members with more than 3 posts in the week.

2022-02-06.png.05ac24330000a42c4fea5fdbde1c1fcb.png

You need to do this for a couple of months for it to mean anything. So much depends on whether or not there is a live topic that a person is contributing to, during a given week. 

This is most unfair. I work hard on my posts, while @dimreepr, to take just one example, gets by with the likes of,

Don't we all?

Does it matter?

Imagine that!

;) 

Now serious, the computer has taken over my life too. Similar to @Peterkin, I have a browser tab with the forums open and take a look from time to time, when I get a break.

32 minutes ago, exchemist said:

You need to do this for a couple of months for it to mean anything. So much depends on whether or not there is a live topic that a person is contributing to, during a given week. 

I do plan so. Not consecutive weeks necessarily, but perhaps random weeks from time to time.

34 minutes ago, joigus said:

I work hard on my posts,

So do I! Two or three edits it takes just to erase the typos; no telling how much I'll need to add, tweak and polish.

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

I do plan so.

Is this a study in statistics? Does it include other factors beyond  number of posts over a specified period? (I guess I mean: What for? Can't help that: motivation and utility interest me in all areas of endeavour.)

14 minutes ago, Genady said:

I do plan so. Not consecutive weeks necessarily, but perhaps random weeks from time to time.

Could be interesting. 

But of course  there may now be an "observer effect", as by telling us you are doing this you are perturbing the system........ 

37 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Is this a study in statistics? Does it include other factors beyond  number of posts over a specified period? (I guess I mean: What for? Can't help that: motivation and utility interest me in all areas of endeavour.)

I would like to include other factors, especially demographics, but (a) I don't have that information, and (b) the set is small as is, doesn't make sense statistically to make clusters.

As I've mentioned, curiosity. These data perhaps have some answers, we just don't know the questions yet. I believe that accumulation of resources for undetermined utility is a key to progress. Some of it at some time will be handy, or crucial.

33 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Could be interesting. 

But of course  there may now be an "observer effect", as by telling us you are doing this you are perturbing the system........ 

That's why it will be done at random times and the "subjects" won't know when they are observed and when they are not. Eventually, the habituation will take over and the "subjects" will behave normally.

Edited by Genady

I promise not to change a single thing!

I'm interested in how it turns out.

2 hours ago, Genady said:

I don't have that information,

Some of it is certainly available from profiles. Some, you can collect in a related or unrelated poll. ....

maybe.... Can one do polls here?

BTW - no fair, changing your avatar. I liked the blue one. I don't like purple.

• 4 weeks later...

The sad thing is, those first two monoliths (not unlike the late World Trade Center) are all from a single, futile - if sometimes heated - conversation, while neither of us contributed much to any science subject. 

Edited by Peterkin

6 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

The sad thing is, those first two monoliths (not unlike the late World Trade Center) are all from a single, futile - if sometimes heated - conversation, while neither of us contributed much to any science subject. 

It is skewing the stats.

Talking of WTC. I was there on 9/11 at 9am.