Transacoustic guitars and their actuators

geordief

Here  is a link that gives am over view of the product (mostly  Yamaha products aparently)

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/ac_guitars/ta_series/index.html

https://www.hyvibeguitar.com/

I am curious to know how the actuators   (two small speakers  fitted to the inside of the back of the guitar) affect the way the sounding board resonates.

Is there some kind of constructive interference involved?

Is there also physical amplification? Would most of the power in the vibrations of the sounding  board come  from the battery  feeding the actuators  or from the movements of the strings?

You can buy these guitars with this system prefitted or you can (perhaps illadvisedly )get it fitted to any acoustic  guitar you have a mind to 

Edited by geordief

I don't think this is all that new. I'm sure I remember a few buskers having a very rough and ready version of this back in my busking days around 1970. Out in the open air on the street, you can hardly hear an accoustic unless you have some heavy strings, a big jumbo or preferably a 12 string, and a rock hard plectrum.

I used to play slide guitar on a Hofner Verithin electic, plugged in to a Grundig Yacht Boy radio that had an input in the back. It sounded flashy, and loud, and your fingers didn't get sore using the slide. I was awful, but I made money. 

26 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I don't think this is all that new. I'm sure I remember a few buskers having a very rough and ready version of this back in my busking days around 1970. Out in the open air on the street, you can hardly hear an accoustic unless you have some heavy strings, a big jumbo or preferably a 12 string, and a rock hard plectrum.

I used to play slide guitar on a Hofner Verithin electic, plugged in to a Grundig Yacht Boy radio that had an input in the back. It sounded flashy, and loud, and your fingers didn't get sore using the slide. I was awful, but I made money. 

I used to busk in the early  70s too.I got arrested for it and was lucky not to get assaulted when my pretense of not speaking the language became transparent.

The people who made good money were those who were genuinely  good artists but also those passers by  who had the initiative to offer to  enthusiastically pass the hat around for the musicians.

Edited by geordief

I was never good enough to busk really, but I found that you just needed to play one snatch of music fairly well. Most passers by only ever heard about thirty seconds of music, they didn't know that that was all you had. I was like a stuck record.

Money wise, it was the place and time that was as important as the quality. My absolute favourite place was on Charing Cross railway bridge. Tacked on to the side was a pedestrian walkway, that was very narrow, but had a few places where it widened out. Most of the time it was pretty average, but when the Royal Festival Hall finished a big concert, you could make a real killing as the people streamed across to catch their trains. I remember, a Deep Purple concert broke my record for takings. They must have been good, because the people were in a great mood that night. 

This is what it looks like now, much more de-luxe :  

waterloo rail bridge new Jubilee bridge.JPG