GR Questions (again)

blike

I know I know, more questions. But I thought of this:

Assume two clocks are ticking at different rates due to general relativity. Let's say they are in a direct line of sight. Over a period of 1000 years, one clock accumulates 1 extra minute. Both clocks are brought together, one is a minute fast. Shouldn't the one that's a minute ahead see a different position of the sun? But if they're brought together won't they see the sun in the same position?

related this kind of thought problems does someone know of an existing simulator program where you can specify object/clock locations and speeds/accelerations and see the result? preferable in 3D but 2D would also already be nice.

maybe matlab/simulink?

I know I know' date=' more questions. But I thought of this:

Assume two clocks are ticking at different rates due to general relativity. Let's say they are in a direct line of sight. Over a period of 1000 years, one clock accumulates 1 extra minute. Both clocks are brought together, one is a minute fast. Shouldn't the one that's a minute ahead see a different position of the sun?

[/quote']No, for it, it just took a longer time for the sun to reach the same position that the slower clock sees the sun at.

Example: instead of 1000 years, make it 1,440,000 years. In that case, the faster clock will record 1,440,000 years and one day. This does not mean that it will see the sun make one extra trip around the Sun. It will see the sun make the same 525,600,000 trips that other clock does, it will just record that it took 1,440,000 years and one day to do so. IOW, for it, a Solar day is longer than 24 hrs.

I know I know' date=' more questions. But I thought of this:

Assume two clocks are ticking at different rates due to general relativity. Let's say they are in a direct line of sight. Over a period of 1000 years, one clock accumulates 1 extra minute. Both clocks are brought together, one is a minute fast. Shouldn't the one that's a minute ahead see a different position of the sun? But if [b']they're brought together [/b] won't they see the sun in the same position?

Remember this is different from an SR (twin "paradox") case, as the time dilation discrepancy or "disagreement" at any one time is almost non existant as it depends on their relative speeds at any given time and distance apart at that given time only and not the duration.

So the slower clock agrees that it's running slower and bringing them back together will just confirm that.