JIMMY12345 Posted January 28, 2022 Share Posted January 28, 2022 At work a large number of motorists seem unaware of the new changes. They come into force this weekend. With the understandable pressure of COVID and other it would be expected that Government publicity is low. Laws can have good intent and bad consequences as well as be fatally flawed. In Germany pedestrians always had priority. In UK it was cars. I prefer the old UK system re pedestrians. Its going to very scary. Especially on dark winter nights crossing junctions. Most cars 99% on probability will give way. 1 % will not. Simply because they do NOT see the pedestrian at the junction. Pedestrians will comfortably cross because they see the bright lights of cars who are clearly visible. We are ALL more vulnerable when walking .I feel there is a very real possibility when we are walking accident rates may rise. Cyclists also have to give way but we are less insulated and hence have a greater sense of the road. Theoretically at junctions and roundabouts as I approach on my trusty old 531 bicycle motorists should give me priority. Here common sense goes out of the window. Motorists are now unsure how long should they wait for me. Fair enough if I am kilometres away and you need a telescope to see. Any nearer and the motorist pulls out. It might invite a £1000 fine from any unsympathetic police car passing by. When cycling I do not think that many people will be hogging the middle lane. Cars are much faster. Irrespective of the law they will hoot and hoot. Cyclists are courteous and most will pull over to give both ample room. At present my friends cycle two abreast on quiet roads. In the city we will stick to single file. We will continue to. Again its about mutual respect and safety. I have attended lots of cycle events and a small minority of car drivers get very frustrated with the slow speeds of cyclists. Some of these car drivers are on genuine emergencies eg GP'S II am fully confident ALL Political parties had our interests at heart .However they should watch and review. Quiet a few University scientists lecturers I know cycle to campus. Scientists are above all superbly eco friendly. Lets not make it more dangerous than cool. Beware of poisoned chalices. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now