"CLO Science"

Genady

A relative of mine has sent me their website asking for my opinion. After I've stopped laughing, I've decided that the only thing I can do is to ignore this request. If you have a better suggestion, please let me know. Here it is: CLO Life

Note to admins: I am not promoting this in any way. This is just for fun.

Deconstruction is possible, but usually when folks start making up science, correcting bits of it doesn't make them question their premise, and they end up thinking they're still right but their ideas need more work. You can explain what's really happening when you put your hand near a computer monitor, but it won't dissuade your relative that at least some of their ideas are also at work. 

Using words like "truth" wrt science is a red flag, and one we've found particularly difficult to discuss. Claiming theories can be true shows a lack of understanding about what theory means in science. So many folks think science is looking for Truth, and that a theory is just a "best guess".

The methodology used is very sloppy, and reaches conclusions without addressing other possible explanations (when you put your hand below your waist near a monitor playing a particular video, it turns red because of CLO?, or if you stand in front of the monitor for 15 minutes your sinuses will be clearer?). 

There is so much woo entwined around the points made. I would assume this relative is emotionally invested in their concepts, so critical thinking and reasoning will only take you so far. In my experience, when someone comes to conclusions based on what they want to be right, reason alone can make them more convinced they're onto something big.

Thank you. You have articulated very clearly why it'd be useless or counterproductive to try to correct their mistakes. There certainly are emotions and psychological needs driving this endeavor. At least, it doesn't seem to be harmful, so why not to let them enjoy themselves? Maybe some of their "patients" will get a placebo effect? I guess, I will politely reply that I can't judge it because it is not my area of expertise.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

At least, it doesn't seem to be harmful, so why not to let them enjoy themselves?

The harm is more abstract but >0, imo. Your relative is working on a redefinition they can apply to virtually any situation, on the assumption that CLO is "true" (based on further assumptions about Ki, Chi, and Chakras are also true). Arguments like these are impervious to facts or observation due largely to their vague and encompassing nature (use the box enough but not too much). The more they apply this misinformation in their lives, the higher the probability it will adversely affect their choices. They'll ignore when it doesn't hold true and revel in the times when it seems to work.

And there's the argument that your relative should have spent these resources on understanding mainstream science (that website represent a LOT of sunk cost). Most(?) folks run up against something they can't figure out quickly and assume it must be complex or counterintuitive or sophisticated, and they dig deeper. The ones who assume it's wrong start making things up based only on what they know, so everything about their ideas makes perfect sense to them, yet they can't really explain it to anyone who understands the science. 

As long as they aren't changing their entire lives to accommodate these "insights", I suppose there's no harm. If they really are seeing "patients" and selling miracle cures though, I wouldn't feel right about it. If my relative became convinced they had designed an over-unity device and were prepared to invest their life's savings, I'd do what I could to show them they're wrong.

I've noticed the faraday cage idea keeps cycling to new generations.  When I was young, I knew someone who had an orgone box (he was also big on magnetic shoe inserts) and followed the theories of Wilhelm Reich.  Now I notice that faraday cages are again popular among new age health nuts, but less elaborate than Reich's design, and without the orgone theoretic basis -- now the claim is simply that it's shielding your delicate tissues from excess EMF. 

And, as always, the reason we haven't heard of these dangers is because powerful people are suppressing the TRUTH!  ( the conspiracy notion helps the faithful promote this pseudoscience, since there are genuine instances of corporations and governments who do withhold facts from the public)

I suspect that if I try to explain what is wrong about their believes, the only result will be that I will become a part of the conspiracy of the established science. I've got already a question from another relative about how can I support the lies regarding alien colonies that have been discovered on Mars. At least, they are all vaccinated - it could be worse.