A reverse panspermia

If it has basic inhabitable conditions then a probability is high that it has some form of life. If it doesn't have life at this moment, it will some time later. There is no point in seeding life where life is already present or will be soon (in astronomical times.) 

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

If it has basic inhabitable conditions then a probability is high that it has some form of life. If it doesn't have life at this moment, it will some time later. There is no point in seeding life where life is already present or will be soon (in astronomical times.) 

The selected planet has been deemed sterile according to the data at that time. If, IF any microbes did exist undetected 5 kms down, they would probably have found their evolutionary niche and would likely be unaffected. 

All we can do is exersise scientific probabilty over possibilities. I see nothing immoral in that, considering as previously mentioned, we kill millions of microbes everyday on Earth. 

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

When we find a promising but sterile world, shouldn't we throw some archaea there with a purpose to spread life? After all, if / when we all go extinct here on Earth, then 4 billion years of evolution will go down the drain. This way we would be instrumental in saving the life. Nobody on Earth but us is capable of doing so.

Edited by beecee

Genady was wrong in the OP. In two points. First, in the assumption that we can find a promising but sterile world. Second, in the assumption that this form of life is so special in comparison with the "endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful [which] have been, and are being, evolved" in countless places in the universe, that it needs to be saved.

26 minutes ago, Genady said:

Genady was wrong in the OP. In two points. First, in the assumption that we can find a promising but sterile world. Second, in the assumption that this form of life is so special in comparison with the "endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful [which] have been, and are being, evolved" in countless places in the universe, that it needs to be saved.

I respectfully disagree with your revised assumptions and align with the links I have given supporting this morally correct mission, and of course the science of probabilty over possibility. (I have already killed an uncountable number of microbes this morning) 

We certainly are 100% obliged to spread life to scientifically determined sterile planets, in a universe, where so far the only life we are aware of,  is on this fart arse little blue orb we call Earth.

15 hours ago, beecee said:

Don't put yourself down, but being hypocritical is not a good look.

I'm not putting myself down, that's your bias talking; being wrong or admitting stupidity is not a weakness, it's honesty and it's our/science's strength (that's what makes us special).

There's no point doing an experiment, if we already know the answer...

Being 100% sure about anything is a faith based philosophy, I'll keep my question based philosophy if it's all the same.

15 hours ago, beecee said:

we kill millions of microbes everyday on Earth. 

Be careful which ones you kill:

One day, all the parts of the body were talking about who was most important.

THE BRAIN SAID – “Since I control everything and do all the thinking, I am the most important therefore I should be boss.”

THE FEET SAID – “Since I carry him everywhere he wants to go and get him in position to do what the brain wants, I am the most important.”

THE EYES SAID – “Since I must look out for all of you and tell you where the danger lurks, I an the most important body part.”

THE HANDS SAID – “Since I do all the work and earn all the money to keep the rest of you going, I am the most important.”

Of course, everyone got into the arguments and the heart, lungs, and ears all say the same thing.

Finally, the asshole spoke up and pointed that he was the most important even though the others didn’t know it. All the other laughed and laughed to think of an asshole being boss.

The asshole decided to prove the point and refused to function. Blocked up tight.

Soon the brain was feverish, the eyes crossed and ached, the feet were too weak to walk, the hands hung limply at the sides, and the heart and lungs struggled to keep going.

All pleaded with the asshole to relent and agreed that the asshole was the most important and so it happened.

8 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I'm not putting myself down, that's your bias talking; being wrong or admitting stupidity is not a weakness, it's honesty and it's our/science's strength (that's what makes us special).

I agree, but I don't need to shout it from the rooftops. I implement reputable supporting links.

There's no point doing an experiment, if we already know the answer...

Newtonian gravity and GR are tested everyday, within their zones of applicability.

Being 100% sure about anything is a faith based philosophy, I'll keep my question based philosophy if it's all the same.

You confuse faith with trust. I'm 100% sure, (well 99.9999999999% sure 😉) that the Sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning.

Be careful which ones you kill:

Well of course! Science has shown us which are beneficial and which are not. Just as science will show us the reasonable probability of a sterile planet.

Edited by beecee