Does a 4TeV particle at LHC weight more?

bobb

I remember a study from about 8 years ago showing that relativistic particles in accelerator free fall just like they should, i.e. like everything else in the Earth gravity, with the same acceleration. I think it means that their weight increased accordingly to their relativistic mass.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

I remember a study from about 8 years ago showing that relativistic particles in accelerator free fall just like they should, i.e. like everything else in the Earth gravity, with the same acceleration. I think it means that their weight increased accordingly to their relativistic mass.

Rate of freefall doesn't depend on the mass.  

1 hour ago, swansont said:

So how do you tell if the weight varied? 

The free fall acceleration doesn't depend on mass because, in old terms, "gravitational mass" equals "inertial mass". Inertial mass is "relativistic mass". Since the inertial mass changes with velocity, for the free fall acceleration not to change the gravitational mass needs to change. Weight is the gravitational mass times the acceleration. Thus, the weight needs to change. 

Edited by Genady