We and cosmic scales

Genady

Just a little observation that we, humans, are not "infinitesimally" small on the universe scale, as often presented. We are rather above the midsize. 

First, I take Plank length as a natural unit for size. Second, I make comparisons on a logarithmic scale, because this is the scale that makes sense: 1 mm to 1 m is the same as 1 m to 1 km.

In these units and on this scale, we are of 35 orders of magnitude in size, while the observable universe is of 62. This makes our size M+.

3 minutes ago, Genady said:

We are rather above the midsize. 

Would you not first need to identify sizes across the total populations of other living organisms across (not just our solar system and galaxy but) the entire universe prior to making such an assertion? We’ve barely even done that here on earth alone. 

One can’t take a median without a dataset 

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

Would you not first need to identify sizes across the total populations of other living organisms across (not just our solar system and galaxy but) the entire universe prior to making such an assertion? We’ve barely even done that here on earth alone. 

This is OT.

49 minutes ago, iNow said:

I don't think the comparison was humans to other living organisms, but humans to other components of the universe. If we know smallest and largest, we know where we fall. Don't we?

Ah. Sure. Profound, is a good description for the depth of my lack of caring. Carry on. 

Also, the logic here fails when one considers our bodies are made of smaller components, too

Said another way, you seem to arbitrarily be choosing your scales to support a preconceived conclusion.

Edited by iNow