Jump to content

Did the American education system did such a poor job at promoting STEM that "Millennials" were less interested in becoming astronauts?


CmdrShepSpectre2183
 Share

Recommended Posts

An older series, Babylon 5 was probably best one like that. War and diplomacy with multiple factions, human and alien. Still holds up well today. Read that a reboot is in the works.

Did love Alpha Centauri. Great game.

Edited by Endy0816
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 3 weeks later...

It seems like there is an effort to get the next generation interested or even excited for space.

yWiia3h.jpeg

 

 

Is this an effort to get the next generation interested?


Or is this part of wider pop culture becoming interested in space again? There was a lot of astronaut stuff that came out last year.

woOcYDN.jpeg

 

What has led to this explosion in interest? SpaceX and the astronaut movies of the early 2010s, "Gravity", "Interstellar", and "The Martian" leading to renewed interest? Earth becoming depressing that many of us now look to the stars as a place to "escape"?

 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2021 at 3:39 AM, Endy0816 said:

An older series, Babylon 5 was probably best one like that.

That was my second choice, after DS9. Lots of parallels between the two, but B5 was the more complex and layered. Still, I much prefer the non-war episodes of B5 and the Klingon-free episodes of DS9. 

Buzz Lightyear gets to go to infinity and beyond? Cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to see a blockbuster type movie made on the progress of atomic science of the 20th 21st centuries, from the likes of Rhuterford, Bequeral, Roentgen, Curie, Szillard, Meitner to the Bohr's Einstein's and company...the discovery of radioactivity, X-Rays, the Fission bomb etc It would be based on probably the best book I have ever read..."The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes.

2 hours ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

What has led to this explosion in interest? SpaceX and the astronaut movies of the early 2010s, "Gravity", "Interstellar", and "The Martian" leading to renewed interest? Earth becoming depressing that many of us now look to the stars as a place to "escape"?

Just have finished watching all of "For All Mankind"...quite enjoyed it, as with Interstellar and Gravity. Still nothing (at least for me) has reached the greatest sci/fi movie of all time, "2001: A Space Oddysey" and the pretty good sequel, 2010: The Year we made Contact" 

7 minutes ago, beecee said:

I would love to see a blockbuster type movie made on the progress of atomic science of the 20th 21st centuries, from the likes of Rhuterford, Bequeral, Roentgen, Curie, Szillard, Meitner to the Bohr's Einstein's and company...the discovery of radioactivity, X-Rays, the Fission bomb etc It would be based on probably the best book I have ever read..."The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes.

There actually has been one made, entitled "Day One" It was in B/W pretty good, but I believe something still more substantial should be made.

Edited by beecee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first SF movie I ever saw was War of the Worlds, in Technicolor, in a the old Victory theater that had a large screen.  It scared the bejeebers out of me. Came back the next weekend for It Came from Outer Space (ditto). For $0.35, you got a B&W movie, a cartoon, a bunch of ads for candy you couldn't afford and big, flashy feature. Where else would we spend Saturday afternoon? It didn't have to be SF, but it very often was in the 50's, and it didn't have to be realistic to become a lifetime habit. I'm not sure that can happen for young people now: they're so inundated with electronic images and sensory input, I don't know whether any one thing can claim their attention, let alone leave an impression.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Peterkin said:

The first SF movie I ever saw was War of the Worlds, in Technicolor, in a the old Victory theater that had a large screen.  It scared the bejeebers out of me. Came back the next weekend for It Came from Outer Space (ditto). For $0.35, you got a B&W movie, a cartoon, a bunch of ads for candy you couldn't afford and big, flashy feature. Where else would we spend Saturday afternoon? It didn't have to be SF, but it very often was in the 50's, and it didn't have to be realistic to become a lifetime habit. I'm not sure that can happen for young people now: they're so inundated with electronic images and sensory input, I don't know whether any one thing can claim their attention, let alone leave an impression.  

Gene Kelly as the scientist in the starring role...better than the recent remake imho. The first real movie to scare the daylights out of me, was "The Thing" from another world...I was around 7 or 8 years old. James Arness was the thing, his first (questionable) acting role.

We too had the saturday arvo movie ritual, 11 pence admission, (before decimalisation)  News of the World, a serial in 15 minute increments ( my favourite Superman with George Reeves) 2 movies and a cartoon...start at 1300hrs, finish at 1645hrs or 1700hrs.....trying to catch some sheila's eye, rolling Jaffas down the aisle, letting off stink bombs (on the odd occasion) and getting thrown out once or twice!!🤣 In between watching the odd good movie...ahhh, memories. The Blob was another with Steve McQueen that I enjoyed, but being older, didn't do the job on me that The Thing did. 

 

Edited by beecee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

What has led to this explosion in interest?

US television saw > 500 new shows + miniseries in 2020 (and 2019, so it's apparently not an anomaly)

Just over 1% is hardly an explosion. It would be strange of that genre wasn't explored to this minimal extent, with all the shows being made. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Congrats to them but I find it sad that NASA doesn't have one single astronaut that has been born in the 90s yet!

FEFEdCV.jpeg

 

There is an Arab one! Apparently countries like the UAE and China have done a better job at getting young people interested in science and technology.

Or was it all by design? The American government wanted Millennials and Gen Z to be "dumbed down"?

There seems to be an effort by the American government to get the next generation of American youth excited to become astronauts.

s40auDf.jpeg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

There is an Arab one! Apparently countries like the UAE and China have done a better job at getting young people interested in science and technology.

Or was it all by design? The American government wanted Millennials and Gen Z to be "dumbed down"?

There seems to be an effort by the American government to get the next generation of American youth excited to become astronauts.

!

Moderator Note

Please keep all the very similar topics contained to this thread.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

Congrats to them but I find it sad that NASA doesn't have one single astronaut that has been born in the 90s yet!

The youngest astronaut in this year's class is 32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Astronaut_Corps

Astronaut candidates have ranged between the ages of 26 and 46, with the average age being 34. 

So your observation becomes "we don't have any younger than average astronaut candidates" and it's all much ado about nothing. The reason is that people need time to gain the requisite experience and education, and you're focusing on people who haven't had time to do that yet, and conjuring up a conspiracy.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.