Living away from earth (split from Mars gravity issue)

mistermack

On 1/12/2022 at 7:00 AM, mistermack said:

Once you get them up to a certain size, you can rotate them and create 1g of artificial gravity

Why nobody doesn't takes into account the Coriolis' force?

Such artificial gravity is convinient only if nobody and nothing do move inside the rotating space station.

Any movements will induce the Coriolis's force which will trying to drop moved object aside.

Moving peoples will look as they're drank )

Also any transportations inside rotating space station which use its artificial gravity will affect to its rotation stability.

31 minutes ago, kba said:

Why nobody doesn't takes into account the Coriolis' force?

That's why size is important. Tests have shown that for 1g of artificial gravity, a diameter of 224 M or more will give an environment that doesn't cause problems of balance in humans. I posted this earlier, you must have skimmed over it. 

Anything over that size will be fine. And size and mass will even out any rotation wobbles. And in any case, that can be computer monitored, and easily corrected by movement of balance weights. 

8 hours ago, mistermack said:

Tests have shown that for 1g of artificial gravity, a diameter of 224 M or more will give an environment that doesn't cause problems of balance in humans. I posted this earlier, you must have skimmed over it. 

You wrote about an effect on the inner ear, not about Coriolis's force.

Actually, orbital period of 30 second for 224m of diameter isn't so slow rotation speed.

Anyway drop aside effect will depend on speed of movement inside the rotating station.

I like an idea, but I don't think that the mining on the moons or asteroids is more profitable than it is in the Earth's oceans, if you do plan to delivery raws to the Earth's land.

Edited by kba

On 8/6/2022 at 10:26 AM, kba said:

I like an idea, but I don't think that the mining on the moons or asteroids is more profitable than it is in the Earth's oceans, if you do plan to delivery raws to the Earth's land.

It's the other way around. Mining the moon or asteroids and manufacturing in space would be more profitable than sending up finished products that were made on Earth. Once living in space is mastered. It will take a long time, but it will happen. Unless our descendant kill each other.