weather in britain

insane_alien

is it just me or are the weather shows in britain dumbing down quite a lot. i just kind of noticed just now that i haven't seen a single isobar chart on tv for over 3 years. and today, on a whole map of britain there were 3 symbols(one in Wales and 2 in England). Scotland and Ireland were completely missed out. WTF is this all about. I usually use the met office website anyway.

is it just me or are the weather shows in britain dumbing down quite a lot. i just kind of noticed just now that i haven't seen a single isobar chart on tv for over 3 years. and today, on a whole map of britain there were 3 symbols(one in Wales and 2 in England). Scotland and Ireland were completely missed out. WTF is this all about. I usually use the met office website anyway.

When I was watching the regional news they explained the new graphics used for the 'new look' weather reports....

Patronising news reader "So the dark patches (located funnily enough under the clouds)...is that, is that where there's cloud...ok and the light patches, I take it that's where there's (pause) sun ?" proceeds with "isn't that clever"

By this point I was crying.

Scary thing is that I'm sure there's a lot of the population that need it explained in such a child like manner...excluding the under fives.

It gets on my nerves when they open with "Hi, I'm (fill in as appropriate). Today was really lovely, sunny and warm! Wouldn't you just love to be at the beach today? Here's some film of people enjoying the lovely sun at the lovely beach! (fatuous grin)". How the hell is that a forcast? I was awake! I was out there! And if I wasn't, I have windows!

It gets on my nerves when they open with "Hi, I'm (fill in as appropriate). Today was really lovely, sunny and warm! Wouldn't you just love to be at the beach today? Here's some film of people enjoying the lovely sun at the lovely beach! (fatuous grin)[/i']". How the hell is that a forcast? I was awake! I was out there! And if I wasn't, I have windows!

So true...it's like the handkerchief hanging out of the window joke...when it's raining the handkerchief is wet.

Maybe that's the core of meteorology. :D

I find it funny that the British are so passionate about discussing the weather, when ours is the least extreme.

I've experienced one hurricane in my lifetime...it was pretty tame compared to what other countries have had to go through. Yet it's been marked as quite a historical moment in British weather.