Casimir effect and cosmological constant

stephaneww

I identify the cosmological and quantum vacuum energy with the Casimir effect to confirm that the cosmological constant of general relativity is the cosmological vacuum energy.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effet_Casimir#Expression_de_la_force_par_unité_de_surface

The Casimir effect having been proved experimentally as effect of the vacuum energy

1 minute ago, stephaneww said:

I identify the cosmological and quantum vacuum energy with the Casimir effect to confirm that the cosmological constant of general relativity is the cosmological vacuum energy.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effet_Casimir#Expression_de_la_force_par_unité_de_surface

The Casimir effect having been proved experimentally as effect of the vacuum energy

The casimir effect is, more precisely, a reduction of the electromagnetic vacuum energy owing to the presence of conducting plates. 

If you are going to equate this with the cosmological constant, you need to do more than unit analysis. A force is going to have units of force, regardless of the origin of it. You can’t e.g. say an electrostatic force is gravitational, just because they have the same units.

IOW your assumption that these are connected would just lead to circular reasoning. 

Casimir effect is a local reduction of the vacuum energy ( relative to the global level ) .
The Cosmological Constant is a global reduction of the vacuum energy, which is exchanged for the expansion force/acceleration.
( similar to exchange of potential for kinetic in a gravity field )

33 minutes ago, swansont said:

The casimir effect is, more precisely, a reduction of the electromagnetic vacuum energy owing to the presence of conducting plates. 

On suppose de plus que les plaques sont des conducteurs parfaits de conductivité électrique infinie, et qu'elles ne sont pas chargées.

tradution : It is further assumed that the plates are perfect conductors of infinite electrical conductivity, and that they are not charged.

if I understand correctly the vacuum is conductive

33 minutes ago, swansont said:

If you are going to equate this with the cosmological constant, you need to do more than unit analysis. A force is going to have units of force, regardless of the origin of it. You can’t e.g. say an electrostatic force is gravitational, just because they have the same units.

18 minutes ago, MigL said:

Casimir effect is a local reduction of the vacuum energy ( relative to the global level ) .
The Cosmological Constant is a global reduction of the vacuum energy, which is exchanged for the expansion force/acceleration.
( similar to exchange of potential for kinetic in a gravity field )

we have to combine the cosmological constant with the QFT quantum vacuum energy (=lPl-2) to obtain the Casimir effect

... and dF/dS is an energy, not a force

Edited by stephaneww

1 hour ago, stephaneww said:

I would say your understanding is incorrect. A gap in a conductor in a vacuum will not pass current unless there is sufficient voltage for there form an arc. The impedance of the vacuum is ~377 Ohms.

If it were a conductor, having a separation distance has no meaning.

we have to combine the cosmological constant with the QFT quantum vacuum energy (=lPl-2) to obtain the Casimir effect

If you can make connection it has to be via some physics, not unit analysis

I didn’t say it was a force; I used force as an example that unit analysis doesn’t get you a connection between different situations.

16 minutes ago, swansont said:

f it were a conductor, having a separation distance has no meaning.

the separation distance is not important in my identification of the equalities: 1/L^4 becomes the cosmological constant multiplied by the QFT quantum vacuum energy (lPl^2) to obtain the Casimir effect

Edited by stephaneww

tradution : It is further assumed that the plates are perfect conductors of infinite electrical conductivity, and that they are not charged.

I'm a bit lost. Surely if S is a surface area, then dF/dS is a pressure function rather than an energy, isn't it?  

Edited by exchemist

12 minutes ago, exchemist said:

I'm a bit lost. Surely if S is a surface area, then dF/dS is a pressure function rather than an energy, isn't it?  

oops yes indeed it is a pressure or J/m3 i.e. an energy density

the units of (1) and (2) of the first post indicate it and are correct they

Edited by stephaneww

14 minutes ago, stephaneww said:

the separation distance is not important in my identification of the equalities: 1/L^4 becomes the cosmological constant multiplied by the QFT quantum vacuum energy (lPl^2) to obtain the Casimir effect

How does that work, physics-wise? It looks like you’re just waving your hands to get the answer you want. How does it “become” the cosmological constant? 

The casimir force can be derived by applying the conductor boundary conditions to the geometry. If L doesn’t matter then you don’t get that answer.

55 minutes ago, swansont said:

How does that work, physics-wise?

it is simply the interaction of the cosmological constant at the quantum scale (lPl-2).

How does it “become” the cosmological constant? 

It does not "become" the cosmological constant. The cosmological constant is already in the equality. It is the identification of (1) to (2) that allows to say that we are in the framework of the Casimir effect

The casimir force can be derived by applying the conductor boundary conditions to the geometry. If L doesn’t matter then you don’t get that answer.

De plus, il est plus que probable que l'effet dépende aussi de la distance L entre les plaques.

traduction : Moreover, it is more than likely that the effect also depends on the distance L between the plates.

"Probable" does not prohibit another way of presenting L-4

edit : moreover I would be curious to know what L4 represents in nature

Edited by stephaneww

it is simply the interaction of the cosmological constant at the quantum scale (lPl-2).

I am not aware of this interaction. Can you point to any peer-reviewed literature that says that the cosmological constant interacts with anything?

It does not "become" the cosmological constant.

That’s what you said.

The cosmological constant is already in the equality. It is the identification of (1) to (2) that allows to say that we are in the framework of the Casimir effect

An equality that you wrote down as an assumption.

The casimir effect requires conducting plates, which force a component of the electric field to become zero, something not true in free space.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

I am not aware of this interaction. Can you point to any peer-reviewed literature that says that the cosmological constant interacts with anything?

here : https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsta.2019.0229

The theory [47] of the Casimir stress inside inhomogeneous planar materials makes one more prediction that, when widely extrapolated to cosmological scales, explains why the Casimir effect might play a role in cosmology: the convergence of the renormalization relies on dispersion. Ordinary dielectric materials are dispersive in the sense that the refractive index n depends on frequency. The Casimir effect is a broadband electromagnetic phenomenon [15] depending on the entire frequency window of the material. For large frequencies, all materials become completely transparent, n → 1. Without this feature, the renormalized stress would contain a logarithmically diverging contribution [47]. On the other hand, the ‘material’ of general relativity—the geometry of space and time—acts on all frequencies equally, as a consequence of the equivalence principle [2]. Therefore, even the renormalized εvac would still diverge, although significantly weaker than the unrenormalized one. The wavelength range contributing to the forces of the quantum vacuum would go to the Planck length (1.2) where, presumably, the equivalence principle ceases to hold. So εvac would not grow with the inverse forth power of the Planck length as in equation (1.3) that produces the wrong 120 orders of magnitudes, but significantly weaker. The logarithmic divergence [47] is not sufficient though, for the following reason.

you can read the whole article, I didn't take the time to translate it al

That’s what you said.

either it was badly said or it is a problem of automatic translation

An equality that you wrote down as an assumption.

The casimir effect requires conducting plates, which force a component of the electric field to become zero, something not true in free space.

I refer you to the whole article quoted above

here too but I haven't access : https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-vacuum-energy%3A-Casimir-effect-and-the-constant-Elizalde/e0d922a743ae3c2c5ef7cb61cfb391f1fab7fcb3

Edited by stephaneww

On 12/23/2021 at 10:34 AM, stephaneww said:

Not proved, according to this:

"In discussions of the cosmological constant, the Casimir effect is often invoked as decisive evidence that the zero-point energies of quantum fields are “real.” On the contrary, Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without reference to zero-point energies. They are relativistic, quantum forces between charges and currents.

I have presented an argument that the experimental confirmation of the Casimir effect does not establish the reality of zero-point fluctuations. Casimir forces can be
calculated without reference to the vacuum ... . The vacuum-to-vacuum graphs (See Fig. 1) that define the zero-point energy do not enter the calculation of the Casimir force, which instead only involves graphs with external lines. So the concept of zero-point fluctuations is a heuristic and calculational aid in the description of the Casimir effect, but not a necessity."

Casimir effect and the quantum vacuum
R. L. Jaffe
Phys. Rev. D 72, 021301(R) – Published 12 July 2005

10 minutes ago, Genady said:

"In discussions of the cosmological constant, the Casimir effect is often invoked as decisive evidence that the zero-point energies of quantum fields are “real.” On the contrary, Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without reference to zero-point energies. They are relativistic, quantum forces between charges and currents.

I have presented an argument that the experimental confirmation of the Casimir effect does not establish the reality of zero-point fluctuations. Casimir forces can be
calculated without reference to the vacuum ... . The vacuum-to-vacuum graphs (See Fig. 1) that define the zero-point energy do not enter the calculation of the Casimir force, which instead only involves graphs with external lines. So the concept of zero-point fluctuations is a heuristic and calculational aid in the description of the Casimir effect, but not a necessity."

Casimir effect and the quantum vacuum
R. L. Jaffe
Phys. Rev. D 72, 021301(R) – Published 12 July 2005

Yes, it is my understanding that the Casimir effect can be accounted for in terms of London (dispersion) forces between the plates.

However I recall reading that the dispersion forces model is actually equivalent to the vacuum fluctuation model.  I do not know any QED however, so I'm in no position to understand how this equivalence may arise. The common feature would seem to be the concept of random fluctuations, in the one case arising in the vacuum and in the other arising in the charge distribution of the electrons of the plates.

If anyone here can shed more light on this I'd be interested.  

Edited by exchemist

On 12/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, stephaneww said:

41 minutes ago, Genady said:

"In discussions of the cosmological constant, the Casimir effect is often invoked as decisive evidence that the zero-point energies of quantum fields are “real.” On the contrary, Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without reference to zero-point energies. They are relativistic, quantum forces between charges and currents....

it's not a problem. it is indeed an excessive shortcut on my part. i haven't found any sources

41 minutes ago, Genady said:

In discussions of the cosmological constant, the Casimir effect is often invoked as decisive evidence that the zero-point energies of quantum fields are “real.” On the contrary, Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without reference to zero-point energies. They are relativistic, quantum forces between charges and currents.

in my proposition, cosmologycal constant and zero-point energy of quantum fields are linked to obtain the Casimir effect

Edited by stephaneww

16 minutes ago, swansont said:

AFAICT this is proposing to use the same calculational approach for the cosmological constant as for the casimir effect, in terms of dealing with infinities, i.e. the renormalization. 

ok

question : do they need 2 plates for this calculational approach ? I

Edited by stephaneww

36 minutes ago, swansont said:

A single plate would feel no force

ok

36 minutes ago, swansont said:

Symmetry tells you this, but also there’s no exclusion of any of the QM modes.

this is beyond what I know and understand

AFAICT this is proposing to use the same calculational approach for the cosmological constant as for the casimir effect, in terms of dealing with infinities, i.e. the renormalization. 

uh, does he use two plates or a space geometry in this approach?

2 hours ago, stephaneww said:

uh, does he use two plates or a space geometry in this approach?

It’s your link. If you’re offering it as support you should understand it.

And is the crux if the issue here. You are throwing around equations without understanding the physics.

It’s your link. If you’re offering it as support you should understand it.

There was a bit of irony in my question: I don't see how one can invoke 2 plates to talk about the Casimir effect in cosmology. So it must be something else.

And is the crux if the issue here. You are throwing around equations without understanding the physics.

Λ and lPl-2 are energies expressed in m-2. You don't need to know complex QM terms, nor QM to understand this.

Edited by stephaneww

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, swansont said:

Hello

In fact the solution is probably very simple :

We just have to pass the surface S on the other side of the equality of casimir effect with :
1/dS = Λ
and
dF = FPl = c4/G, Planck force

We have thus by the same trick as the change of side of the equality for the cosmological constant in the EINSTIEN equation to obtain the energy density of the cosmological constant.

We don't need physical plates in the cosmos anymore

Edited by stephaneww

Once again, it sounds like you are just rearranging variables and constants without regard for any physics interactions or processes. e.g. there is no "Planck Force" as an interaction, it's just the expression of force using Planck units.