Which foods are safely combustible?

ScienceNostalgia101

I sometimes like to throw excess fat or grizzle from barbequed meats onto the outdoor fireplace the evening after my meal, as it enables the whole backyard to smell like barbeque. I was considering trying this with other food items, but don't want to risk inhaling anything that's less safe to inhale than to ingest. Does anyone know of any list of which potentially-harmful fumes are associated with the combustion of specific food or drink items, and/or whether or not it depends on whether or not these food or drink items are expired?

12 hours ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

I sometimes like to throw excess fat or grizzle from barbequed meats onto the outdoor fireplace the evening after my meal, as it enables the whole backyard to smell like barbeque. I was considering trying this with other food items, but don't want to risk inhaling anything that's less safe to inhale than to ingest. Does anyone know of any list of which potentially-harmful fumes are associated with the combustion of specific food or drink items, and/or whether or not it depends on whether or not these food or drink items are expired?

Expiry date won't make a difference, since neither oxidation nor bacterial action are likely to cause any more dangerous species to be formed when the item is burnt. But burning anything in an open hearth generates smoke - fine particulates, part-pyrolysed organic compounds etc - which tend to be damaging to the lungs and potentially carcinogenic. Here's a short article on the subject: https://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/barbecue-smoke-dangers.html which mentions some of the chemical species that are troublesome. Of the particulates, it is the "PM 2.5" that are considered the most injurious to health.

But if it's only a bit and you don't breathe the smoke then I doubt there is much to worry about.