Apophenia , fallacies and ScienceForums

studiot

Thanks. I'm a sucker for everything Steven Pinker. I've recommended to take a look at his views at least once on these forums. Very nice books he has on language and cognition, etc. Also many interesting talks on Youtube.

First time I read or heard about prior probability fallacy was a long time ago --and it wasn't Pinker who explained it, I don't remember now who it was--. It blew my mind. It was the feeling of how vulnerable we all would be if something like that were to happen to us. I think --and always thought ever since-- that it should be explained to children at as early an age as possible.

I wish there was a way to create a permalink to these questions. I know some common fallacies are mentioned somewhere on the forums.

Edited by joigus

5 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Are you actually trying to pull off an Appeal to Age fallacy in this thread? Bold move, Methuselah.

Honestly? I can't remember the last time I said to myself, 'I pulled it off'.

One exception. My boss asked me months ago: Why do you come biking to work? --She didn't like it.

I said, 'it's part of my lifestyle'. And she never bothered me again about it.

42 minutes ago, joigus said:

Honestly? I can't remember the last time I said to myself, 'I pulled it off'.

One exception. My boss asked me months ago: Why do you come biking to work? --She didn't like it.

I said, 'it's part of my lifestyle'. And she never bothered me again about it.

You DID pull that off, way to go! I recently had an epiphany about bicyclists. In my area, they often give bicycles about 8 inches of asphalt to the right of the solid line on major, one-lane roads. My apophenia lumped all these cyclists together as "exercisers" and "hobbyists" and "those practicing for a tour/race", so I got annoyed that they often chose early morning commute times to cycle in their clingy outfits with sponsor ads all over them. Then someone pointed out that many offices have showers for employees that cycle commute great distances. As soon as I realized these cyclists were probably fellow commuters instead of hobbyists just out for the exercise, my whole attitude towards them changed. I had misinterpreted their presence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.