Was Pangea, a Moon?

Jamey

4 hours ago, Jamey said:

When an object the size of Mars crashed into the newly formed planet Earth around 4.5 billion years ago, it knocked our planet over and left it tilted at an angle.

4 hours ago, Jamey said:

I content it was 350- 390 million years ago that the Moon of Pangea fell causing the tilt. 

Here is a table of tilt angles in degrees for the Solar System.  Source NASA via Wikipedia.

Do you think your collision hypothesis as to the origin of the tilt applies to all the tilted bodies, including the Sun ?

[math]\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
   {Sun} \hfill & 7 \hfill  \\
   {Mercury} \hfill & 0 \hfill  \\
   {Venus} \hfill & 3 \hfill  \\
   {Earth} \hfill & {23} \hfill  \\
   {Moon} \hfill & 7 \hfill  \\
   {Mars} \hfill & {25} \hfill  \\
   {Jupiter} \hfill & 3 \hfill  \\
   {Saturn} \hfill & {26} \hfill  \\
   {Uranus} \hfill & {82} \hfill  \\
   {Neptune} \hfill & {28} \hfill  \\
   {Pluto} \hfill & {57} \hfill  \\
\end{array}[/math]

If this impact object collided 4.5 billion years ago then it clearly can't have been the proposed second impactor at 350+ million years ago.

Please confirm you mean both these impacts.

As to the first impact, what do you mean by the size of Mars, (volume or radius) or mass ?

4 hours ago, Jamey said:

A Moon would have been needed for the electromagnetic shield that surrounds the Earth to function and protect new life. 

Can you describe how you think this works ?

Edited by studiot

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Here is a table of tilt angles in degrees for the Solar System.  Source NASA via Wikipedia.

Venus....3

Uranus...82

Or perhaps 177 degrees? and 98 degrees?😉

If we look down on the solar system  from above, all the planets revolve counterclockwise, except for Venus and Uranus...177 degrees and 98 degrees is how much we would need to view their poles rotating counterclockwise.

On the other hand,  Venus is actually only tilted away from the plane of the ecliptic by only 3 degrees so from that perspective is actually almost upside down, and Uranus is laying on its side.

8 hours ago, beecee said:

Or perhaps 177 degrees? and 98 degrees?😉

If we look down on the solar system  from above, all the planets revolve counterclockwise, except for Venus and Uranus...177 degrees and 98 degrees is how much we would need to view their poles rotating counterclockwise.

On the other hand,  Venus is actually only tilted away from the plane of the ecliptic by only 3 degrees so from that perspective is actually almost upside down, and Uranus is laying on its side.

If you wish.

But we are not concerned with orbital motion around the Sun, except as a reference plane.

The impotant message is the spread of the axial tilt angles all measured relative to a common direction, which the ecliptic provides.

Since all the planets' orbits lie close to/within a single thin disk, there is also an average plane, which is close to the ecliptic, and called the invariable plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_inclination

• 11 months later...

That sounds unusual. I'm a little surprised by this theory, but I think it's possible. It's a mystery to me at all how the whole earth ended up in one revenge? Are there planets where the whole earth is also in one revenge? I'm sorry if it sounds silly, I just haven't found such planets.

59 minutes ago, CrystalMagic said:

That sounds unusual. I'm a little surprised by this theory, but I think it's possible. It's a mystery to me at all how the whole earth ended up in one revenge? Are there planets where the whole earth is also in one revenge? I'm sorry if it sounds silly, I just haven't found such planets.

I'm assuming you meant 'all the earth's land masses ended up in one continent'.

The idea's a bit of a nonsense I'm afraid. The geological record in Britain (excluding Scotland and Northern Ireland) for the 200 million years leading up to the formation of Pangaea is practically complete and has been extensively studied. It has it's action moments but these are no more extreme than eruptions from a volcanic island chain along the north-west coast. The rest is almost entirely quiescent marine deposition. No evidence whatsover of planetary collision.

Various lines of evidence indicate a slow journey from mid-southern latitudes until close to the equator where we had a three way collision with Canada (who gave us Scotland and Northern Ireland), and much of Scandinavia (who then similarly obtained Norway). 

Subsequently most of continental europe rear shunted us as they were pushed forward by the great land mass of Africa moving north.

I remember this basic sequence being cautiously developed through the 1970's, but as the detailed geology of more parts of the world became available,  it all seemed to fit in with the same picture and confidence grew in it being a pretty accurate representation of actual events. 

There certainly remain a few last lingering details to work out particularly with the more complex and exotic terranes, but the general plan is seen as very sound. Hence wildly different versions of events presented with no supporting evidence (such as the OP) can be safely classified as lunatic fringe. 

9 hours ago, CrystalMagic said:

Assuming "revenge" = "continent", I am not aware we know of any other planets with plate tectonics. Without that, the whole idea of continents becomes fairly meaningless.  

Continents are lighter portions of lithosphere that float on a denser layer. They seem to arise by a process of fractionation, due to volcanic activity. So if those elements are not present, you won't expect there to be identifiable blocks of crust that you could call continents.  

58 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Assuming "revenge" = "continent", I am not aware we know of any other planets with plate tectonics. Without that, the whole idea of continents becomes fairly meaningless.  

Continents are lighter portions of lithosphere that float on a denser layer. They seem to arise by a process of fractionation, due to volcanic activity. So if those elements are not present, you won't expect there to be identifiable blocks of crust that you could call continents.  

The results of the New Horizons spacecraft serious suggest that Pluto may be tectonic. It certainly shows vulcanicity - always remembering that the main rock there is ice, not granite.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:53 AM, exchemist said:

Assuming "revenge" = "continent"

I have figured it out.

1) Misspelling: 'in revenge' is 'v mesti' in the OP language while 'v meste' means 'in place'. One letter was wrong before translation.

2) 'Earth' and 'land' are the same word in the OP language.

So, the expression, "earth in one revenge", should've been, "land in one place." And the question,

On 1/29/2023 at 7:12 PM, CrystalMagic said:

Are there planets where the whole earth is also in one revenge?

meant to be, "Are there planets where all land is in one place?"

9 hours ago, Genady said:

I have figured it out.

1) Misspelling: 'in revenge' is 'v mesti' in the OP language while 'v meste' means 'in place'. One letter was wrong before translation.

2) 'Earth' and 'land' are the same word in the OP language.

So, the expression, "earth in one revenge", should've been, "land in one place." And the question,

meant to be, "Are there planets where all land is in one place?"

Aha, so it's translated from Russian, then? Very illuminating. 

Edited by exchemist