Break barrel air rifle

I've used a 'break barrel single action air rifle' type gun once before but never really thought about how they work. Now I am! Here is a link to what I mean:

http://www.bbguns.co.uk/843_1_1054906.html

Basically you break the barrel, put it back and the pressurised air is loaded. This is an air rifle (not spring) so what I want to know is how the break/unbreak action causes the gun to fill with pressurised air???

Also what is the opposite of breaking the rifle/barrel??? (unbreak the rifle?)

with that one, when you break the barrel you compress a spring, that then "locks" into position with the trigger mechanism.

at the one end of the spring is the stop pin (the one closest to you when you hold it) at the other end is a plunger inside a cylinder (like a piston).

as you were compressing the spring the air was being sucked into the chamber.

when you release the spring it pushes the plunger forwards compressing the air at very high speed, that then catches the skirt of the pellet and forces it forwards down the barrel.

breaking the barrel does not presurise the air, only the spring.

there is No "Opposite" only different types of gun, CO2 gas, pumped, direct spring etc...

there is No "Opposite" only different types of gun, CO2 gas, pumped, direct spring etc...

No, I meant like you say that you "break the barrel" well how do you say that you lock the barrel back in place, you unbreak the barrel? The action opposite to breaking the barrel, does it have a name???

And thanks for the explanation, basically the action moves a spring which causes the movement in the chamber (it's a bit more complicated but I get it!), thanks!

[edit] does anyone have experience with buying guns? I want this type of 'break barrel' gun, but does it look a reasonable price?

there`s no name that I`m aware of for air guns.

yes I have experience purchasing them also, I go to my gun club to buy mine (and related equipment), without actualy seeing the weapon, it`s hard to say, but £64 for a brand new one isn`t bad, have you checked for part availability yet?

some of these cheap chinese types are impossible to get parts for, it`s not unheard of for people to buy 2 of them just for spares!

piston rings, seals, the spring can wear and lose power over time (esp if left cocked), triger mechanisms, and sometimes the stock can split if the wood`s cheap.

consumeables and addons are pretty much standard, you`ll not have to worry about that.

The ptfe piston seal should last you for ever,same applys to the spring...so dont worry about spares......your link was to a plinker....okay for shooting tin cans and targets.But otherwise crapola!!! and not worth 64 pence.

The more important issues are what do you want to use it for and where are you intending to shoot it.

In my case ive had air rifles since i was 16(long..long time ago) i had BSA mercury etc and stopped after my last rifle the weihrauch hw 80 1.77 .

The laws in the Uk are very strict now so unless you have private land(farm etc) you risk prosecution using it around the home(garden etc)

The air rifle market is relatively cheap now so there is a wide choice from BB guns to gas cylinder recoiless target rifles.

How much do you plan on spending,where are you going to use it,what is its intended purpose.......depending on the circumstances a good second hand one may be ideal rather than a new one...also if you intend to have small mammals, birds ,cats,and the odd child dodging pellets, i would recommend you but a cap gun.

Take it from experience i had quite a macabre collection of corpses and note books filled with my best snuff shots.( amazing stories of death and skill to amaze and disgust....from decapitaing a crow at 100yards,shooting my friends in the head with a GAT...to downing a goose in flight though not wityh a GAT)...you only deeply regret later in life.

Thankfully all the psycho profiling is nonsense...none of the gang went on to become serial killers...quite the opposite everyone of us now has a managerie of pets...to the extremes of grooming pet rabbits and budgie shows....remarkable when one considers we used to buy rabbits at the pet store for our tag ferret tourneys..pfff rabbits cant fight very well..

I dunno really, i was just browsing really.

I spose the most likely is targets in the garden... if a squirrel came it might be tempting, but I wouldn't be setting out to do that (and I don't want a dead squirrel lyring around in my garden!)

I spose it'd look a bit dodgy walking around the local path with what looks like a rifle! (and that's ignoring legal issues!)

The only reason I'd go for handgun and not rifle is the price. I like the 'break barrel' thing because it means I don't need to buy pressurised air canisters.

well ignoring the fact that no one gives a flying cr4p what newtonian`s shot in the past *boring and off topic*

and that since it`s a chinese gun, the piston ring could even be polyprop and NOT teflon at all!

as a junior starter gun at 120m/s it`ll be just fine for target shooting (paper cutter) up to a good 100 feet.

I advise AGAINST shooting animals with it like squirrels, as 120 m/s most likely will NOT kill them, but only damage them and leave them in alot of pain!

YT: Does your gun club have a website which you can order from?

If so, what is it?

If not, do you know where can I buy good quality guns which would be easy to get replacements for, or just a make or something?

they don`t have a website that I know of, as for purchase I do all mine there in person, I buy either British or German, the parts for them I can order through the shop at the club (never needed to order any yet).

sadly BSA and Webley & Scott don`t manufacture anymore (AFAIK), but there are still stock supplies of parts for them.

pity you hadn`t asked me this a year or 2 ago, I had 5 guns for sale, but they`re all gone now :(

jelly is a good target only make sure you have lots of it. get an old bathtub from a scrap yard and fill it full of jelly and take a few shots. i got an air rifle just for shooting cans but now my parents want me to get rid of it since the law is changing.

well ignoring the fact that no one gives a flying cr4p what newtonian`s shot in the past *boring and off topic*

and that since it`s a chinese gun' date=' the piston ring could even be polyprop and NOT teflon at all!

as a junior starter gun at 120m/s it`ll be just fine for target shooting (paper cutter) up to a good 100 feet.

I advise AGAINST shooting animals with it like squirrels, as 120 m/s most likely will NOT kill them, but only damage them and leave them in alot of pain![/quote']

Well in light of the fact that you speak only on your own behalf,i view the above remarks as trolling. Considering the conversation was only directed at 5614 and 5614 responded on that topic(he is the OP) perhaps you should consider holding that insipid tongue.

One could hold a similar opinion of the majority of YOUR posts.But that fact has as much relevence to the topic as your post did when reffering to myself.

One respects Mods for modding not thinking their comments have greater merit than anyone elses.