War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?

iNow

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

😪  Please provided some support for this assertion. 😊

I knew I could get you to respond to me if I followed your lead and simply made unsupported claims.

I admit I cannot confirm you are paid by Russia. Can you please either admit you cannot support your assertions, or provide some sort of evidence if you can? 

The problem you are facing here is that you are coming across as a troll when I assume that is not your intent. Please engage in a meaningful and professional way.

Holy mother of fuck what is wrong with these people?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/top-wrap-1-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant-fire-after-russian-attack-mayor-2022-03-04/

BORODYANKA/LVIV, Ukraine, March 4 (Reuters) - The largest nuclear power plant in Europe is on fire following a Russian attack, Ukraine's foreign minister said on Friday, as he called for a security zone and firefighters to be allowed to tackle the incident.

A generating unit at the plant has been hit during an attack by Russian troops and part of the station is on fire, RIA news agency cited the Ukrainian atomic energy ministry as saying on Friday.

For once, I would be delighted to learn that I was being deceived by fake news and that this is not real!

9 minutes ago, zapatos said:

I admit I cannot confirm you are paid by Russia. Can you please either admit you cannot support your assertions, or provide some sort of evidence if you can? 

I find your tedious mantra of "can you support your assertions" a bit pathetic. You do it all the time, not just to my posts, but to anyone and everyone. 

My posts are like most other people's, a mixture of fact and opinion. If you can't work out which is which, I'm not here to be your nursemaid. I try to make it obvious, I think I DO make it perfectly obvious, but some people, I guess, are determined to struggle even with the obvious.

22 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Holy mother of fuck what is wrong with these people?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/top-wrap-1-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant-fire-after-russian-attack-mayor-2022-03-04/

BORODYANKA/LVIV, Ukraine, March 4 (Reuters) - The largest nuclear power plant in Europe is on fire following a Russian attack, Ukraine's foreign minister said on Friday, as he called for a security zone and firefighters to be allowed to tackle the incident.

A generating unit at the plant has been hit during an attack by Russian troops and part of the station is on fire, RIA news agency cited the Ukrainian atomic energy ministry as saying on Friday.

For once, I would be delighted to learn that I was being deceived by fake news and that this is not real!

Just saw that on AP. Putin is going to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, like this,  to win.  I wonder what it will take for us engage him directly....

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-live-updates-cbd6eed3e1b8f4946f5f490afd06b4be

Edited by StringJunky

22 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I find your tedious mantra of "can you support your assertions" a bit pathetic.

Start responding when I ask you questions and you'll not have to deal with my tedious mantra. That is sort of the polite thing to do anyway.

20 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Just saw that on AP. Putin is going to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, like this,  to win.  I wonder what it will take for us engage him directly....

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-live-updates-cbd6eed3e1b8f4946f5f490afd06b4be

My son and I were chatting about the pros and cons of a no-fly zone and other more direct challenges yesterday, and the reasons to avoid any on-ramps to WW3.  We both wondered how far Putin could get with his "watch out, crazy badass with nukes!" strategy.  This kind of attack might be pushing the envelope, as they say.

2 minutes ago, MigL said:

Hopefully Ukrainian nuclear power plants of recent years have built-in redundant safeguards against fires like Western power plants.
I'd hate to see another Chernobyl.

Yep.  My wife was in her last trimester with our (aforementioned) son when Chernobyl went boom, so we were pretty aware of the possible global implications of large radioactive plumes.  I seem to recall a conversation about some imported cheese from Denmark and its production date.  

5 minutes ago, TheVat said:

My son and I were chatting about the pros and cons of a no-fly zone and other more direct challenges yesterday, and the reasons to avoid any on-ramps to WW3.  We both wondered how far Putin could get with his "watch out, crazy badass with nukes!" strategy.  This kind of attack might be pushing the envelope, as they say.

We may have to call his bluff and get stuck in. This seems weird to me because I was 60 in February and the Cuban missile crisis was in 1962 when I was born. It's profound enough to know I'm now officially old without this!

Edited by StringJunky

5 hours ago, zapatos said:
5 hours ago, mistermack said:

If Zelensky had done a deal four weeks ago, none of this would be happening now.

Please provide some evidence.

This is the sort of silly stuff I posted about. How is it NOT obvious, that that is my opinion? And what sort of evidence do you imagine might exist that could establish the matter as a fact, one way or the other? Do you expect me or others to write "in my opinion" in front of every claim, just for the benefit of people who are pretending to be thick?

5 minutes ago, TheVat said:

My son and I were chatting about the pros and cons of a no-fly zone

A problem with no fly zones is that people don’t just magically stop flying in the air space when you declare one. Once declared, it must be enforced by shooting any one who enters it.

Russia would fly in, then a Polish or American craft would shoot it down, and in that flash of a second the west will have officially declared war with Russia.

We all need what Russia is doing to Ukraine to end, but a de facto declaration of war on them seems unlikely to achieve that on the timeline we desire. Also would result in lots more lost life and unpredictable downstream consequences. 

19 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Start responding when I ask you questions and you'll not have to deal with my tedious mantra. That is sort of the polite thing to do anyway.

Asking members to support assertions with evidence is never tedious.  "Volodymyr is a twat" is just venting, but saying stuff like Volodymyr started the war and lied about Russia calls for factual support of some kind.

Just now, mistermack said:

How is it NOT obvious, that that is my opinion?

Because you asserted it as fact. You cannot know what you claim to know, and we could equally claim that Zelensky giving in would’ve resulted in immediate nuclear actions. Such speculations rest on the same baseless footing as yours. 

9 minutes ago, mistermack said:

This is the sort of silly stuff I posted about. How is it NOT obvious, that that is my opinion? And what sort of evidence do you imagine might exist that could establish the matter as a fact, one way or the other? Do you expect me or others to write "in my opinion" in front of every claim, just for the benefit of people who are pretending to be thick?

It is quite common to to see such a post end with 'imo' or 'I think'. Try not not to make your post look like an assertion if you don't want to be pulled up for citations. This IS a science forum and one does well to clarify the veracity, or not, of a post. In my opinion, your current posting style is distracting  from this serious subject. Chill.

Edited by StringJunky

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

A problem with no fly zones is that people don’t just magically stop flying in the air space when you declare one. Once declared, it must be enforced by shooting any one who enters it.

Russia would fly in, then a Polish or American craft would shoot it down, and in that flash of a second the west will have officially declared war with Russia.

We all need what Russia is doing to Ukraine to end, but a de facto declaration of war on them seems unlikely to achieve that on the timeline we desire. Also would result in lots more lost life and unpredictable downstream consequences. 

These are precisely the points I was making to my son, and he was asking, well what if he does this, or what if he does that, and there was a pause where we both had to grapple with what could be so heinous an act, so blatant a war crime, that it would be worth it to cross the line into direct intervention.  I really don't want to find out the answer to this, but... crikey!  Shooting at nuke reactors is a pretty blatant threat to all of Europe and beyond.  And certainly has potential for serious loss of life, as well as ruined food supplies, etc.  

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

Because you asserted it as fact.

Rubbish. I asserted it. That's not the same thing at all. This is basic stuff. 

I can't have asserted it as a fact, when it never happened, it can only ever be an opinion. That's why it's just tiresome rhetoric, to ask for evidence that cannot possibly exist. 

7 minutes ago, mistermack said:

Rubbish. I asserted it. That's not the same thing at all. This is basic stuff. 

I can't have asserted it as a fact, when it never happened, it can only ever be an opinion. That's why it's just tiresome rhetoric, to ask for evidence that cannot possibly exist. 

If you don't append a post as opinion, you will be called on to support it, otherwise how can we have a constructive conversatiion. It is courtesy, so that we know how how to receive and respond without too much space-wasting, time-wasting ballache, like this.

@TheVat The stirrings of WW3 is not good for insomnia. :D

Edited by StringJunky

17 minutes ago, TheVat said:

If my clock is accurate, our UK members include some serious night owls!  And the breaking news is not terribly soothing for anyone wanting to sleep.  

Фук Путин

I put that in Translate and in the GB vernacular it would be: К черту Путина (Fuck Putin). Yours looks stylishly better though. Gonna see how much a t-shit costs with it on.

Edited by StringJunky

15 minutes ago, TheVat said:

If my clock is accurate, our UK members include some serious night owls!  And the breaking news is not terribly soothing for anyone wanting to sleep.  

Фук Путин

I think the spelling should rather be, Фак Путин. I agree either way.

• Jalopy changed the title to Will Russia use nuclear weapons?