Need help with a problem with yellowing rubber on shoes.

Guest Jordan 23

Guest Jordan 23

I have a question about yellowing rubber. I am a shoe collector mainly jordans. There is a problem with a few shoes with yellowing rubber on certain parts of the shoes. example on the pictures below

here are some pictures of what they look like brand new

brandnewv5cd.png

brandnewvbottom2js.png

and here is some pictures of what they look like when the rubber is yellowed

yellowside2fd.png

yelow1gg.png

it has been said that the yellowing is caused by a reaction with oxygen. i was wondering if anyone knows a way to get the yellow out of the rubber. i heard the oxyclean works but have never tried it. if anyone could find an answer to this problem they would be a hero to thousands of shoe collectors.

Looks like maybe the rubber is oxidizing. The only way to prevent it is to store it in an inert atmosphere such as argon or mineral oil. I have a feeling you would prefer not to keep your shoes under mineral oil though. Either way, the process is irreversible without ruining the shoes.

Guest Jordan 23

that hasnt happened to my shoes yet. but i would quess that it takes a few months before they started getting yellow

I`de opt for Oxidation certainly, it may not be atmospheric Oxygen either, the other plastics could be giving of gasses that can attack certain organics like rubber too, UV (light) exposure can also excellerate this process, it`s impossible to determine (without a sample) to know if it`s cosmeticly reversible or not, eitherway the damage is already done, even though you could make it LOOK otherwise. a cool, dark, well ventilated environment should be the ideal storage conditions.

Guest Jordan 23
Looks like maybe the rubber is oxidizing. The only way to prevent it is to store it in an inert atmosphere such as argon or mineral oil. I have a feeling you would prefer not to keep your shoes under mineral oil though. Either way, the process is irreversible without ruining the shoes.

what about just putting the soles of the shoe in a small puddle of mineral oil because that is wear most of the rubber is or putting some of it on a cloth and whiping it on. the yellowing is only on the soles and a small section on the sides.