Are there more than 2 sexes?

WillyWehr

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

Even my own trans friend, who admits to confusion on the issue, wavers between wanting to be male or female. Never halfway.

I suspect that may be a cultural thing. Generally speaking people are seen as male or female so to fit in you would desire to be one or the other. If society actually had more accepted categories then your friend might finally find their happy place in a third category.

3 minutes ago, zapatos said:

I suspect that may be a cultural thing. Generally speaking people are seen as male or female so to fit in you would desire to be one or the other. If society actually had more accepted categories then your friend might finally find their happy place in a third category.

Possibly. If it removed the compulstion for surgery in some people, it would be a good thing. At least because if you don't have the surgery, you can't regret having it. Pressure to be one or the other does probably influence the decision in some cases.

9 hours ago, Intoscience said:

My question is what do you use to define - male, female, other? if there is no clear distinction between them? I'm not being pedantic, I'm asking for a definition so that I can understand what the differences are.  

This might be an interesting question to explore, especially in its own thread. Here in this thread, however, it's not terribly relevant, nor does it impact any of the arguments I've made. It's a bit like asking me to explain abiogenesis in an evolution thread. Related, but separate. 

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

Most people who find themselves with a sex-identity problem, as in not identifying with the sex they were designated at birth, don't want to be a third sex.

Thank you for sharing. This too is entirely irrelevant to the actual discussion happening here. 

Fungi have tens of thousands of sexes - theoretically up to 36,000. 

Humans have an XY chromosomal mating system - meaning there are two sexes.

However, these sexes are not binary, nor fixed in a small but significant number of cases

"This article began by asking how frequently members of the human population deviate from a Platonic ideal of sexual di-morphism. A summary of the frequencies of known causes of sexual ambiguity based on Tables 1–7 appears in Table 8. The grand total is 1.728% of live births."

There are also both biochemical and genetic causes of sex plasticity in humans - i.e. physiological changes that occur post birth that alter sexually dimorphic hormonal and physical traits. E.g. there are a known suite of loss-of-function mutations that can result in male to female sex reversal in humans, and studies of endocrinological plasticity have shown that the "hardwired" neurological difference between males and females are not as well defined or temporally stable as once thought

11 hours ago, swansont said:

This is triggering my OCD. Can we agree that the proper terminology is to "bear" offspring? Anyone can bare offspring; you do this when you give them a bath.

Bare with me while I check the dictionary...

Yep, you're right...I guess we better get dressed...

20 hours ago, swansont said:

This is triggering my OCD. Can we agree that the proper terminology is to "bear" offspring? Anyone can bare offspring; you do this when you give them a bath.

My apologies, this is one of a few words I always mix up, sometimes along with "were and where". I also regularly get letters in the incorrect order in words. If it wasn't for spell check my sentences would read rather amusing or irritating, depending on your OCD.  

14 hours ago, iNow said:

This might be an interesting question to explore, especially in its own thread. Here in this thread, however, it's not terribly relevant, nor does it impact any of the arguments I've made. It's a bit like asking me to explain abiogenesis in an evolution thread. Related, but separate. 

I'll drop it then.

Edited by Intoscience
spelling