How we think Jesus will return verses how he actually will return

RicDeVela

Hi everyone, this thought and always point came into a few discussions I've been with some friend groups and church discussions. But I was wondering what everyone's opinion would be on our expectations vs how Jesus would come. This came up because one person made it known how the Jewish people could not recognise based on their own expectation of how the Messiah would appear and was wondering what if today we might be having that mentality as Christians. Just wondering, what anyone can comment on the topic and also if you can how can discern how Jesus will come again.

Thank you and hope we can keep the responses constructive without any hate but logical and proper according the the Scriptures.

The most likely option: These ancient myths will continue being used to control the masses. Some poor gullible soul will be told by another human (likely a more intelligent one) that their messiah is here, they will point to some regular Joe, and the gullible will believe the person telling them, even when the person telling them is sharing untruths. 

Edited by iNow

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

The most likely option: These ancient myths will continue being used to control the masses. Some poor gullible soul will be told another human is their messiah and believe the person telling them, even when the person telling them is sharing untruths. 

Doesn't politics deserve a messiah?

Edited by dimreepr

1 hour ago, RicDeVela said:

Hi everyone, this thought and always point came into a few discussions I've been with some friend groups and church discussions. But I was wondering what everyone's opinion would be on our expectations vs how Jesus would come. This came up because one person made it known how the Jewish people could not recognise based on their own expectation of how the Messiah would appear and was wondering what if today we might be having that mentality as Christians. Just wondering, what anyone can comment on the topic and also if you can how can discern how Jesus will come again.

Thank you and hope we can keep the responses constructive without any hate but logical and proper according the the Scriptures.

This being a science forum, I doubt you will find many people here who subscribe to a literal Second Coming of Christ. 

1 hour ago, RicDeVela said:

This came up because one person made it known how the Jewish people could not recognise based on their own expectation of how the Messiah would appear and was wondering what if today we might be having that mentality as Christians.

Matt. 1:18-20 tells us Jesus didn't have a birth father from the tribe of Judah also descended from King Solomon and King David, which were the prerequisites for the Jewish Messiah, as recorded elsewhere in the Bible.

I've always been curious about the reaction to someone claiming to be Jesus come back for the second time. Plenty have made the claim over the centuries, so wouldn't it require some sort of evidence, like walking on water or turning the water into wine and then walking on it? And if this latest Jesus could show miraculous powers on command, in a testable, reproduceable, and predictable way, then does anyone need faith anymore?

On 11/24/2021 at 12:38 AM, RicDeVela said:

The scriptures and the bible of course, give us reasonable, general moral and virtue values, although at other times it  gives us the exact opposite. 

And that's about where it ends. In reality it is generally an entirely mythical book, written in an obscure age, by obscure writers, in an equally obscure manner, including any magical return, since there is really no other credible evidence to account for any arrival of any God or son of God in the first instant..

I need not really procede any further, as it is nicely summed up with the first reply thus...

On 11/24/2021 at 12:44 AM, iNow said:

The most likely option: These ancient myths will continue being used to control the masses. Some poor gullible soul will be told by another human (likely a more intelligent one) that their messiah is here, they will point to some regular Joe, and the gullible will believe the person telling them, even when the person telling them is sharing untruths. 

Edited by beecee

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Oh, you're gonna be in so much trouble, if you wife reads what you post about Religion, Beecee 😄 😄 .

After near 43 years of married bliss, she only ever really confronts me around Chrissy, and asks (nicely) if I could attend church with her. Mostly I manage to avoid it, but on a couple of occasions I have weakened. 

She certainly does not see any of my critique on this forum, and sometimes gets slightly miffed when she has her choir/prayer group over every couple of months or so. I adjourn to my mancave until their praying and singing has finished, then invite myself in when they start mixing the yaqona (kava) ( a Fijian custom) But generally she is tolerant of my general stance.

ps: She also often prays for me! 😉

On 11/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, RicDeVela said:

what anyone can comment on the topic and also if you can how can discern how Jesus will come again.

Assuming there was a real person named Jesus (or something like) and he was (something like) the man those four books (plus several more apocryphal ones) were written about, why should he come back? The people he met on this planet were not so nice to him that he'd want to visit them again. It's a big universe - assuming the whole universe has just the one creator, rather than each galaxy having its own, each ruling a separate fiefdom.... *

So, anyway, depending on whether his dad rules one galaxy of all of them, Jesus has a choice of a bazillion and a gazillion planets inhabited by intelligent life to choose from. Pretty good chance, if they're intelligent, they all need saving. He won't be coming around here again until we're long gone and forgotten and the earthworms have developed city-states, money and organized religion, with giant statues.   

*I like that idea, actually. They have conferences sometimes, like the G20 or the climate summits, where the gods get together an bullshit about their unkept promises over excellent victuals and potables. Every now and then, an alliance is formed or a war declared, and then galaxies clash. Spectacular from a distance of a few million years, but no fun be in. 

Edited by Peterkin

On 11/23/2021 at 1:44 PM, iNow said:

I think this sums it up really. 

On 11/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, Phi for All said:

so wouldn't it require some sort of evidence, like walking on water or turning the water into wine and then walking on it? And if this latest Jesus could show miraculous powers on command, in a testable, reproduceable, and predictable way, then does anyone need faith anymore?

David Blaine, Dynamo?? 

Joking of course, however people genuinely believe that both perform miracles. 

9 hours ago, beecee said:

The scriptures and the bible of course, give us reasonable, general moral and virtue values, although at other times it  gives us the exact opposite. 

And that's about where it ends. In reality it is generally an entirely mythical book, written in an obscure age, by obscure writers, in an equally obscure manner, including any magical return, since there is really no other credible evidence to account for any arrival of any God or son of God in the first instant..

I need not really procede any further, as it is nicely summed up with the first reply thus...

7 hours ago, beecee said:

After near 43 years of married bliss, she only ever really confronts me around Chrissy, and asks (nicely) if I could attend church with her. Mostly I manage to avoid it, but on a couple of occasions I have weakened. 

She certainly does not see any of my critique on this forum, and sometimes gets slightly miffed when she has her choir/prayer group over every couple of months or so. I adjourn to my mancave until their praying and singing has finished, then invite myself in when they start mixing the yaqona (kava) ( a Fijian custom) But generally she is tolerant of my general stance.

ps: She also often prays for me!

Yes and this is it really,

But much like your good wife and my dear mother, belief in such gives comfort, hope and direction and so shouldn't be dismissed if that belief produces positive and constructive results. 

10 hours ago, Intoscience said:

Yes and this is it really,

But much like your good wife and my dear mother, belief in such gives comfort, hope and direction and so shouldn't be dismissed if that belief produces positive and constructive results. 

And it never is...it keeps her happy, and she is actually near full time, acting out the good side of humanity...love, kindness and tolerance.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Arikel88 said:

He will returna s thieve at night when people will not pay attention like their normal habits.

People have been saying this for over 2,000 years, and have been wrong each and every time. What makes this time different?

1 hour ago, Arikel88 said:

Hmmm, faith iNow faith is what makes people believe in what you cannot see and make it real one day.

Another word is gullibility. A kinder and more accurate description, perhaps, is willing suspension of disbelief. 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire

2 hours ago, Arikel88 said:

Hmmm, faith iNow faith is what makes people believe in what you cannot see and make it real one day.

This doesn’t answer my question. I asked what makes THIS time different.

Are you suggesting people of the past lacked faith? After all, and as I said already, people of faith have been saying these same things for millennia.

Since all evidence confirms that their faith was wrongly placed, what makes you think yours is not also misplaced? 

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

..did you mean Steven Frayne.... ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_(magician)

Yes, I just couldn't remember his real name, Thanks

15 hours ago, Arikel88 said:

He will returna s thieve at night when people will not pay attention like their normal habits.

No offense, but what a crock of shite...

22 hours ago, Arikel88 said:

Why?

I'm not being facetious now; I'm sincerely curious about this rationale. If you believe this, you should be able to explain it. But I'd appreciate an explanation from anyone who understands the theology.

Why would a god choose to conceal himself from the people whose fealty he desires?

More particularly, why would Jesus, whose mission was to walk among mortals in the guise of a mortal; who stood in town squares, exhorting the people and went about the marketplace, healing them, and preached to them from the mount - whose whole purpose on Earth was to be seen and heard - sneak around in the night like thief? 

Edited by Peterkin

12 hours ago, iNow said:

Since all evidence confirms that their faith was wrongly placed, what makes you think yours is not also misplaced?

I hate to do this, but why is their faith, wrongly placed? Since all evidence confirms that their faith was wrong? 

Every empire, both grows and dies...