USA Rasicm

Der_Neugierige

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

What about level of dispersal within the host country; the tendency to gather or disperse in where one lives with others of the same culture/ethnicity? Some groups seem to take up whole streets.

When there is a sudden influx of one nationality - e.g. Irish during the famine; Hungarians after the failed revolution - new immigrants tend to concentrate in one or two main urban locations. One reason for this is their lack of preparedness (having run away in the middle of the night) for a foreign culture: they need both the sponsorship and the guidance of compatriots who are already established. Most of these new immigrants disperse gradually, as they learn the rules, find employment and accommodation. The first generation of children disperses almost completely - except those those who join a family business in that neighbourhood. The parents usually work very hard to educate their children (You can tell when waves of immigrants arrived by reading the names and dates on high school honour rolls.) who then assimilate and only come back to visit the old folks. 

Because of these family businesses, the adult immigrants keep coming back to hear their own language, buy familiar food, etc. This neighbourhood, too, becomes the obvious destination for any fresh immigrants from the same place. They do take up streets and, if they're successful, develop a special ethnic flavour and attract custom by the majority and other populations. These "Little Italy"s and "Chinatown"s become a feature of cosmopolitan cities.

Having high mono-ethnic densities might be an aggravating factor for the indigenous population?

Only if there is some other overt conflict. The ethnic neighbourhoods become targets for hostile factions in the mainstream when there is a pandemic, for example, that the president insists on calling by a nationality, or when some Hollywood mogul decides to make a few $billion on gangster movies featuring people from a particular island, or when Black children dare to attend a decent school previously reserved for white ones.

These ethnic neighbourhoods are also the cultural centers for a group of people who share the same taste in music, theater and method of worship: it's where the churches are originally established. They are hubs of social life, teaching the young about their heritage, help centers for the needy. They also make both easy targets and recruitment venues for activists, terrorists, vigilantes, gangs, neighbourhood watch...

It's not the number of one kind of people living near one another that determines social attitudes around them - it's world and national and economic events that pit one neighbourhood against another. (People fight over territory, resources and power.)

3 hours ago, Der_Neugierige said:

Yes Swiss officials have apologized.

Yes, but have they stopped the financial practices and changed the regulations to prevent the laundering and concealment of blood moneys?

2 hours ago, Der_Neugierige said:

We have Arfrican Asian immigrants.

How many? More to the point, what income level?

Would it be unfair to ask about migrant workers?

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

They fight people because they perceive them to be different. When Manchester United fans fight Liverpool fans, there's no resources or territory involved. They fight because of aggressive insticts that they inherited.

How is that perceived differentness? Could you tell them apart if they're naked? In fact, could any individual Manchester fan be able to pick any individual Liverpool fan out of a police lineup? That's why gangs have tattoos and fans have scarves and jerseys in their colours - like carrying a flag. Of course they're fighting over territory, resources and power.

Instincts are biological.  Aggression is biologiocal. The choice of designated rivals, opponents, adversaties and enemies is three levels up from biology: it's a characteristic of complex social organization. 

And yes, that seems a bit ironic. The more complex, numerous and diverse our societies become, the more we revert to the formation of sub-cultures; a kind of throwback to tribal organization. Perhaps that's the level of complexity with which we are psychologically most comfortable. However, the average American city may have a dozen ethnic blocs and a hundred factions centered on occupation, income, religion, sports, music, political affiliation and various other interests or  preoccupations, and most of them coexist peacefully most of the time. When conflicts arise between any two, look for an underlying motive in territory, resources and power distribution.    

Edited by Peterkin
lots of mistakes

9 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

We have a lot of immigrants here, we arent an monoethic country anymore.

Nobody disagrees. One person said, "MOST" immigrants are from Europe. You replied, "We also have African Asians." The response of "So what?" remains appropriate. 

44 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

We have a lot of immigrants here, we arent an monoethic country anymore.

33 minutes ago, iNow said:

Nobody disagrees.

Well I disagree.

Last time I was in Switzerland, it was still divided 3 ways between the French sector, the German sector and the Italian sector.

Maybe divided and sector are a bit strong but certainly there are three distinct cultures.

I remember catching the overnight train from Freiburg (in Germany).
The same conductor woke me in German, later offered me coffee Italian and when he walked back up the train checking tickets he did so in French as we headed for Geneva.

Edited by studiot

4 minutes ago, studiot said:

Last time I was in Switzerland, it was still divided 3 ways between the French sector, the German sector and the Italian sector.

I do not think that this is related to immigration, though. 

Just to provide some data on the Switzerland issue, over 80% of all foreigners in Switzerland are Europeans. The largest Asian population are Turkish (~1%) and the totality of all African immigrants make a bit less than 1%. This is not too different, from e.g. Germany (though they have a larger Turkish population).

31 minutes ago, studiot said:

Well I disagree.

By your own statement here, it's clearly not mono-ethnic, and the sectors you site are ALL European.

Weird to me that you say you disagree then post comments immediately following which DIRECTLY support the suggestion it's MOSTLY European... the one with which you claim to disagree. 

4 hours ago, iNow said:

By your own statement here, it's clearly not mono-ethnic, and the sectors you site are ALL European.

Weird to me that you say you disagree then post comments immediately following which DIRECTLY support the suggestion it's MOSTLY European... the one with which you claim to disagree. 

I'm sorry I don't understand this.

I was pointing out that Switzerland never has been mono-ethnic.

In order to be helpful I listed the principle ethnicities.

Ethnicity type 3.2   French origins.

Ethnicity type 3.3 Western European or 3.4 Northern European origins.  (German)

Ethnicity type 3.6 Southern European Origins.

Source Canadian National Statistics Office.

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=402936&CVD=402937&CPV=3&CST=18092017&CLV=1&MLV=3

1 hour ago, studiot said:

I'm sorry I don't understand this.

All I can do is laugh and tilt my head like a confused animal. Summarized:

Der_N: Switzerland is not monoethnic

Me: Nobody disagrees 

You: I do

Me: It doesn’t seem that way based on what you said 

You: I don’t understand. I’m pointing out that it’s not monoethnic 

😂 😂 

I guess you got locked in on his use of the word “anymore.” Okay. Sounds good. He’s also not a member here anymore, so it doesn’t really matter.