Did the end of the Cold War make us more greedy and self centered?

CmdrShepSpectre2183

There were some aspects of Cold War society that was better. People were more physically fit. People were more excited for space travel. People were optimistic for an interstellar future even under the threat of nuclear annihilation. The Middle Class was bigger.

Now all people care about is hoarding wealth and materialism.

What happened?

I wish more of society would aspire to better themselves both physically and mentally. I wish more people and leaders would become more interested and determined to push us in the direction of a "Star Trek" future rather than spend billions on yachts and military toys.

I like SpaceX's technology but I am not too comfortable with the future of spaceflight being in the hands of just one man.

1 hour ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

Now all people care about is hoarding wealth and materialism.

Give me a break.

1 hour ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

People were more physically fit. People were more excited for space travel. People were optimistic for an interstellar future even under the threat of nuclear annihilation

Citation please.

2 hours ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

There were some aspects of Cold War society that was better. People were more physically fit. People were more excited for space travel. People were optimistic for an interstellar future even under the threat of nuclear annihilation. The Middle Class was bigger.

Citation that these were the case, and and the connection of these items to the cold war is…what, exactly?

I like SpaceX's technology but I am not too comfortable with the future of spaceflight being in the hands of just one man.

It’s in the hands of one man?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_private_spaceflight_companies

Plus all the government agencies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_space_agencies

There were some aspects of Cold War era that was better.

Some aspects of society were better during the cold war era, and some aspects were worse. Show us yours first.

Edited by Peterkin