Can Hydroxyapatite be used for defluoridation process in a feasible manner?

bowsolutions

Hey, I'm currently working on a project, involving the use of eggshell waste among others (shellfish, fish bones) being used to synthesize hydroxyapatite [ Ca₁₀(PO₄)₆(OH)₂ ] which can be used in the defluoridation of wastewater from industries, in addition to the ongoing usage of hydroxyapatite in the medical industry for bone tissue and dental procedures.

My question is that to what extent is this feasible? is there any specific process that can be utilized to improve the current methods? Any inputs are appreciated.

defluoridation diagram.png

One becomes wise by trying. "Aus Versuch wird man klug".

Do some tests to  see the efficency. I am not sure it will work, because of soloubility  of Apatit is very poor.

I would grind the material ( egg shell etc.) and put it in your device. Feed it it with sodium flouride solution and compare the contant before and after treatment.

Edited by chenbeier

13 hours ago, chenbeier said:

One becomes wise by trying. "Aus Versuch wird man klug".

Do some tests to  see the efficency. I am not sure it will work, because of soloubility  of Apatit is very poor.

I would grind the material ( egg shell etc.) and put it in your device. Feed it it with sodium flouride solution and compare the contant before and after treatment.

yes the idea is that the hydroxyapatite reacts with fluoride ion in water and forms fluorapatite with poor solubility in water which gets adsorbed at the activated carbon bed and allows the water to go past, thus free from fluoride. As for the eggshells, they would be treated, grinded, and sintered. The CaO derived from eggshells converted to Ca(OH)2 will be mixed with orthophosphoric acid H3PO4 to make hydroxyapatite nanoparticles. How does this process sound to you?