The (real or imagined) ramifications of having Cannabis Experience

SidTheHunter

Hi all,

Can we chat about what y’all think the effect of having Cannabis related work experience does, in terms of obtaining jobs?

At this point, I’ve had three Cannabis jobs: one on the growing side (greenhouse work, IPM, data collection, etc…) as well as tissue culture (growing cannabis/hemp in vitro) and product testing (analytical laboratory). Being as how I live in a legal, medical/recreational state, I didn’t really think it would be a problem. However, I do notice that I never get call backs on jobs that I’m definitely qualified for and I’ve always wanted to know why.

I’m sure some of it could be chalked up to my experience not being enough/too much or not in the right wheelhouse. I’ve often considered that it could be because of my past professional jobs that deal with cannabis but I’m not so sure.

What do STEM field companies and jobs think of Cannabis? Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of folks that won’t hire people based on past experience with (federally) illicit substances?

No firsthand experience per se, but know cannabis analysts/researchers and as far as I can tell at least in areas where it is legal there is typically not a huge issue with that.

There are potential exceptions, which could involve compliance work with e.g. law enforcement or work and travel into countries where cannabis is still illegal. 

It's probably only a "ding" rather than a full red flag. Perhaps you aren't going to get the job if they have other similarly qualified candidates who don't have cannabis experience, but I doubt it's going to automatically make them roundfile your resume.

It also depends on how well they see the experience translate into their workflow. I mean, I suspect that an ag company would not be too bothered whether you have experience with cannabis or any other plant. Another thing to think about is how the CV is built. Maybe there are some issues there.

24 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Another thing to think about is how the CV is built. Maybe there are some issues there.

"I have no problems with you working in the cannabis industry, Sid, but why is there glitter and macaroni glued to your cover letter?"

6 hours ago, CharonY said:

It also depends on how well they see the experience translate into their workflow. I mean, I suspect that an ag company would not be too bothered whether you have experience with cannabis or any other plant. Another thing to think about is how the CV is built. Maybe there are some issues there.

I’ve definitely thought about this. It’s definitely a factor, I’m sure. Especially with all the algorithms. It wouldn’t hurt for me to get my CV/resume looked at and updated.

I also didn’t consider that half of the jobs I’m referencing are in Health Care. Who knows what other factors there are. I definitely notice folks in labs tend to be anywhere from indifferent to excited about cannabis science. 

Well, health care could depend a bit. If it is biomed, it generally would not be a minus. It can be a big plus obviously if they expand to that area, but for the rest it would depend more on your specific roles and skills. There is often also the ever-important (but nebulous) "fit" where your lingo has to line up as closely as your target as possible, to indicate that you belong.