Insights in gene mutation

Diana Labastida

Hi everyone! 

I need to answer this questions so If anyone have some ideas or can recommend useful papers would be so glad!

A mutation causes abnormalities in roots. When the gene mutated was
identified, it turned out that it is not expressed in roots. Can you
explain what might be going on, and how you yould experimentally verify
your hypothesis ?

3. How would you test if a protein is modified by reversible protein
phosphorylation, which methods could you apply to test this and what
could you do before you do any experiment in the lab?

Well I was not expecting an answer, it is not for homework. I wanted to stablish a discussion about what could be the possibilities. I was thinking that a gene not necessary has a function just in the place where it is expressed. In this case I think it might be a gene that affects signaling network maybe and that is affecting the root architecture since root development is readily influenced by external cues. I just wanted to discuss a bit the topic. 

Well, the question is a typical exam/assignment question you would be asked in class. But that being said, thinking about distant effects of gene mutations in terms of signalling is a good start. You could also think in developmental terms (though often related to signalling).

I'm really speculating here, but I wouldn't find it so surprising that a gene that is acting in one location should have an affect in another. 

Imagine a gene that causes major changes in the pituatry gland. The effects could show up in all sorts of locations and processes, like growth, blood pressure, sex organs etc. 

In a plant, it might affect production of anti-fungal or anti-viral substances, and that could lead to apparently unrelated changes in the roots. I'm not suggesting that in particular, just speculating on an example of the type of things that could be involved.