Does Political squabbling get you down....

beecee

While I certainly have an opinion on what is best for society, some of the arguing, bickering and forceful political points of view, sometimes wants me to throw up my hands, and retire [I already am retired] and become a recluse [no i aint no recluse......yet!] 

Why cant we all live together in peace, harmony and  satisfaction? Why can't we, [those in a position too] help others less fortunate and in dire needs?

I have expressed my opinion/s here now often enough for most to understand where I am coming from. I am fortunate health wise, and am reasonably well off. 

The current issues at this time that have me considering [just slightly though] becoming a recluse is the rise and rise of China, and its associated bullying tactics with its smaller neighbours including Australia. The other concerns the USA and its maniacal fascination with guns, the extremes of society there taking the law into their own hands, and Australia's dumbfucks eagerly copying those ratbags, with our own version of lawlessness.

Perhaps Goldie has a point!

Do Americans [and us Aussies] need another periods of final frontier stuff...you know, like a return to the Moon, boots on Mars etc. Despite the whinges from William recently [prince William]  re his comments we should be concetrating our concerns on Earth, he overlooks the many advantages and improvements that the space endeavour so far has achieved, like satellites and agriculture, and meteorology and many more. Is science the answer to our problems here on Earth? I think so.

Edited by beecee

Wonder if it’s not so much the political squabbling itself that gets one down, but instead is the inability to unplug from it either in our digital lives or our in person lives since we’re always online every. Single. Day. Day after day. After day. 

6 minutes ago, MigL said:

Those of us ( you two included ) who take part in the Politics Forum revel in political squabbling.

I might put a slight proviso on this… squabbling with folks in good faith and with whom I share mutual respect, absolutely. When it’s just a social media comments section with strangers and folks are there to score points and agitate others or argue using fallacies… or when this happens IRL at the grocery store, outside of the school, or in related other public spaces… not so much. 

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Wonder if it’s not so much the political squabbling itself that gets one down, but instead is the inability to unplug from it either in our digital lives or our in person lives since we’re always online every. Single. Day. Day after day. After day. 

Good point for sure, as is the speed we actually get news from anywhere in the world as it happens, along with all the ins and outs, contrary opinions etc....

3 hours ago, MigL said:

Those of us ( you two included ) who take part in the Politics Forum revel in political squabbling.

😊 It may seem as though I'm relishing when arguing in the political forum, but I much prefer science and filling in the gaps in my knowledge.

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

There are too many of us, we want too much and we're all barking mad. 

Sure we all desire a life of comfort without wants, and sure many of us fall short of that, while others vastly exceed it. 

Still, as mentioned in the OP, the bullying by China at this time, has many Australians worried...not me in particular, as I do see things settling down somewhat, when they see that they are not going to achieve what they set out to do...causing Australia economic pain...some certainly, but thankfully we are finding other markets, and of course our relationship and treaties with countries such as the UK, US, Canada, NZ should see their posturings diminsihing in time. On the down side, it appears France is still sulking somewhat from the raw deal we gave them. But they in time, will see that they also have possessions and outposts in the Pacific region like New Caledonia and French Polynesia.

With China's success in space, along with its size and military capabilities, it will always need to be considered.

13 hours ago, beecee said:

Why cant we all live together in peace, harmony and  satisfaction? Why can't we, [those in a position too] help others less fortunate and in dire needs?

I had a really pleasant experience on Saturday, driving a stretch of interstate highway that passes a local speedway. Normally, this whole stretch seems full of drivers all jockeying for the best positions and going 80 mph in a 65 zone, and it's a zoo even though the road is often four lanes wide on a side. But on Saturday, everyone decided to copy me and set their cruise control at about 68 mph, grab a lane, and stay there. It was weird, it was bizarre, and oh boy was it wonderful! No brake lights, no tailgaiting, no weaving and swerving, just people cooperating in their big balls of mile-a-minute metal in a way that helped everybody get where they were going safely. For almost ten minutes nobody passed us and we didn't pass anybody else unless they were exiting. Nobody was trying to get ahead, nobody was racing, we were all just on the highway together in peace, helping each other survive and doing so with as little stress as possible. Cooperative behavior is one of our best tools.

Drivers must be pretty mellow out here - Phi's idyllic drive is often the experience here, especially when tourist season ends.  Sometimes seems like human beings do better when they are not overly crowded together.  

I am generally tired of the political polarization, where only the most extreme and unsupported positions survive in the social media ecosystems.  And various institutions, from churches to school boards to legislatures, seem now to be subject to continual invasions of Brown Shirts seeking to push out anyone less fanatical.  

This website offers genuine political discussion, and is relatively low in "squabbling."  Possibly because members are educated lifelong learners and critical thinkers.  

The real strife in the world, the strife that's not generated by faux-outrage, comes from the basic human desire for justice and fair treatment.  When people see they are not getting justice, when they see others having unearned privileges that they do not, when they are told they do not matter, when their anger is met with a truncheon or a gun or being caged up, then there simply cannot be peace and all the social goods.  

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

This website offers genuine political discussion, and is relatively low in "squabbling."  Possibly because members are educated lifelong learners and critical thinkers.  

Yep, agreed, and good to see, still though I would rather be talking about some awesome scientific discovery or event.

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

I am generally tired of the political polarization, where only the most extreme and unsupported positions survive in the social media ecosystems.

And we're learning more every day about how some social media platforms allow these extremists to have multiple accounts, so they seem like an army rather than a few disaffected individuals. I read an article recently about people in the US who plan on quitting their jobs because their employers are making vaccination mandatory. Eventually, the article mentions how, though some industries and sectors are individually different, the number of people who feel this way across ALL jobs is less than 1%. Why are we even hearing about this? It's being repeated across the internet, linked and re-tweeted and spun and it's a tiny fraction of workers. Informing Americans used to be a duty, but now it's just shoveling extremist shit so people stay glued and buy more stuff.

5 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I had a really pleasant experience on Saturday, driving a stretch of interstate highway that passes a local speedway. Normally, this whole stretch seems full of drivers all jockeying for the best positions and going 80 mph in a 65 zone, and it's a zoo even though the road is often four lanes wide on a side. 

I often avoid the freeway for those same reasons. It sometimes takes longer and I need to put up with traffic lights at intersections etc, but I believe I have a far better chance getting where I am going in one piece.

6 minutes ago, beecee said:

I often avoid the freeway for those same reasons. It sometimes takes longer and I need to put up with traffic lights at intersections etc, but I believe I have a far better chance getting where I am going in one piece.

I think driving, especially on the freeway, is a great example of using all of our greatest abilities at the same time in a spectacularly productive way. If we could learn to appreciate how amazing it is to work together peacefully and harmoniously on the road, I think it would be a great map for the rest of our lives. 

Think of how amazing it really is to glance at an oncoming car ONCE as you approach the freeway from the onramp and then merge that monster seamlessly because you were able to calculate your acceleration based on their speed. And now think about what an ignorant, spiteful move it is when they speed up to ruin your merge and honk at you. This makes some people feel superior and I just don't get it.

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I think driving, especially on the freeway, is a great example of using all of our greatest abilities at the same time in a spectacularly productive way. If we could learn to appreciate how amazing it is to work together peacefully and harmoniously on the road, I think it would be a great map for the rest of our lives. 

Think of how amazing it really is to glance at an oncoming car ONCE as you approach the freeway from the onramp and then merge that monster seamlessly because you were able to calculate your acceleration based on their speed. And now think about what an ignorant, spiteful move it is when they speed up to ruin your merge and honk at you. This makes some people feel superior and I just don't get it.

Certainly, couldn't agree more! When I say I avoid the freeways in general, I generally mean during peak hours, where  [at times] one literally takes his life in his hands. Other times, if I need to drive to a particular destination, or just leasure, I will avoid those hectic, crazy peak hour times when using the freeways.

Plus at my age, I prefer to drive nice and sedately, rather then at 110 kms/hr!

Just out of interest, in NSW we need to have a full medical questionare filled in and signed by GP along with eye test every 12 months to get a driver's license when one reaches 75 years of age, and at 80 years we must pass a driving test every year.

Edited by beecee