not science so much as user feedback

Peterkin

Oh, groan, oh moan, Microsoft is telling me that Windows 11 is ready to download.

Another buggy, prematurely released, insufficiently tested program that gloms up my bandwidth (There are six computers at this address!) so I can't watch Silent Witness for a month, that offers five new features that I don't need, don't want, don't know how to turn off and it causes at least one of my essential applications to crash.  

I'll resist as long as I can, but sometime, I know, in the middle of the night, it'll just break in, disable Bitdefender and download itself anyway.

D'you ever feel like you're living in Masada? 

Edited by Peterkin

7 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Oh, groan, oh moan, Microsoft is telling me that Windows 11 is ready to download.

Another buggy, prematurely released, insufficiently tested program that gloms up my bandwidth (There are six computers at this address!) so I can't watch Silent Witness for a month, that offers five new features that I don't need, don't want, don't know how to turn off and it causes at least one of my essential applications to crash.  

I'll resist as long as I can, but sometime, I know, in the middle of the night, it'll just break in, disable Bitdefender and download itself anyway.

D'you ever feel like you're living in Masada? 

Yeah, it got me starting the move to a different operating system. I'm just over the garbage updates.

15 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Windows 11 looks better than Win 10.. It can run Android apps directly on your PC!

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/10/20/introducing-android-apps-on-windows-11-to-windows-insiders/

Edited by Sensei

What am I to do with Android apps?

I need a decent word processor, Photoshop, email and internet connection. At my desk, in my house.

Preferably word processor, photoshop, email and internet connection that I've already learned how to use and that don't ask me inane questions about whether i want to do things I have never considered doing.

There must be other people like me, who only need their computers to perform a few tasks - well and reliably.

44 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

What am I to do with Android apps?

I need a decent word processor, Photoshop, email and internet connection. At my desk, in my house.

Preferably word processor, photoshop, email and internet connection that I've already learned how to use and that don't ask me inane questions about whether i want to do things I have never considered doing.

There must be other people like me, who only need their computers to perform a few tasks - well and reliably.

With computers, you should ignore what you don't need. Every app is useful to someone.

30 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

With computers, you should ignore what you don't need.

'tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd!  But I can't stop the stuff I don't want jumping up on my screen every five minutes, demanding action or attention or stroking. And they're all hideous greedy bandwidth hogs!

A company with sense and regard for its customers would offer different packages to users with different requirements, rather than stick everyone with all of it. 

I too have had bad experiences with Microsoft, eg having to buy a new copy of Windows because the reinstall option went missing from the harddrive - "talk to manufacturer - your original may have been 100% legal but no, you cannot download a copy". Out of manufacturer warranty of course - although I may have had a case, since a previous warranty repair appeared responsible for the missing hidden partition. But I wanted it going again asap.

Only to go through the entire new install (with no going back) and near the very end - "Hardware not compatible with this version". Don't know which was worse - paying for that copy or the time wasted. 

11 hours ago, StringJunky said:

With computers, you should ignore what you don't need. Every app is useful to someone.

..my distribution of Linux has tools to scan WiFi, intercept encoded passwords, and then decode them.. ;)

11 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Every app is useful to someone.

Worse. Every app has some tools that are useful to someone, but 99.99% of users have no idea about them and/or have never used them (because they only focus on the one they learned). Should these tools be removed from the app? This would reduce bandwidth for 99.99% of users. Plugins to download with the tools and/or pay for each tool independently. This is the direction the IT world is heading, i.e. you only buy a subscription for a month, quarter, year or more, and/or pay multiple times each time you need it e.g. in-app purchases are now common in games. A free game with items to be bought in-app. The effect is that the user has to pay much more at the end, and the IT company gets a flood of money long after the product is released.