Bottle rinsing

Danijel Gorupec

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

It has a little punch that you use to poke a little hole in one end of the eggs, presumably to let pressure out. 

Have you ever tried cooking them in a microwave? In the days when that labour-saving appliance was gaining popularity, many new owners did. Works okay if you have have them in a water bath.... 

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

I've got an electric steam egg-cooker

I've never seen one. What is the advantage? Doesn't it take more power to generate enough steam to cook eggs than it would to immerse them? I mean, it's not as if they'll lose nutrients the way spinach does. Is avoiding the risk of an occasional crack - which mine don't, as I lower them into the water tenderly cradled in a slotted spoon -  worth $35 and one more appliance cluttering up the counter that has to be washed whenever the blender spits up a smoothie? 

Edited by Peterkin

I rinse my gym bottle out pretty much as stated so far. I do on occasion rinse it with boiling water, the down side being that the plastic goes soft and I have to hold the bottle using a towel. Not sure whether this has any benefit? 

On the odd occasion I let it soak in detergent for a day or two then give it a thorough rinse out, same not sure if this has any benefit? 

16 hours ago, Peterkin said:

one more appliance cluttering up the counter that has to be washed

I was given it, I was curious so I tried it out. It does work ok, but you need to be accurate with the water quantity. It does turn itself off, so it doesn't need watching. And it doesn't need washing, it cooks clean. I would use it if I was regularly cooking a number of eggs, but not otherwise for the odd egg or two.

4 hours ago, Intoscience said:

Not sure whether this has any benefit? 

I very much doubt if there is any danger from refilling water bottles from a tap, even if you never ever rinse, steam or detergent wash. Historically, the dangers from drinking water were things like Cholera and Typhoid, but if you have that in your taps, then you're in big trouble. Other stuff like lead from old pipes, or bacteria from damaged pipes, wouldn't be affected by rinsing, so there's not a lot of point. 

I store and use spring water, and the only precaution I take is to keep stored water in the dark. I've never had any problems from it. When I was a kid, I used to visit the family farm in Ireland, and they just had water from a well. That often had tiny things swimming around in it, and when my uncle periodically emptied the well for cleaning, there would always be the odd frog and various other creatures coming out in the buckets. It didn't seem to bring any problems. 

On the other hand, a friend of mine almost died from Legionnaire's Disease a few years back. They never found the source, his house was extensively tested. A few years after, he mentioned using powered jet washers cleaning cars, drawing water from a pool of standing water, and I told him that that was almost certainly how he got the Legionnaires. You need to breathe the Legionella in on a droplet, and a jet washer is just the job for that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have a friend who recently got a Legionella infection.
Not pleasant; His kidneys shut down and he underwent dialysis several times, before treatment rid the infection and kidney function returned.

But he does have other underlying health issues, which could have contributed.

The facility where I work, being European owned, has to test safety showers/eyewashes for Legionella contamination ( mandatory in Europe ), and one of our buildings tested positive. When we did our weekly checks on them, we had to run them for a minute or two, to clear out the bacteria, until they tested negative.
( that's the tie in to rinsing )