Why dont we call it the egg yellow 🤔

Gwizzle39

It’s a pretty normal question however it may have far reaching connotations.

As far back as I can remember I have always been told that the white part of an egg is called “the white” and the yellow part is “the yolk”. Now of course this is not accurate as the white is called “the Albumen” and recently I began questioning why we only use the correct name for half the egg 🤔.

Of course whilst the initial question is a little flippant in its wording it is an interesting concept that we are for some reason we are only choosing to educate our children when it is convenient.

The only possible conclusions I can draw are as follows 

1: It is not alluring enough to our ears

2: The entire world doesn’t know the correct term

3: We are a horrendously lazy society that can’t be bothered to teach our children the correct terminology.

There may be some other alternative reasons but I am still yet to find one that I feel is sufficiently justified 🤔

On a similar note if you are a person who refers to Spaghetti Bolognese as “Spag Boll” i would suggest it is time to reconsider some of your life choices 🤣.

17 minutes ago, Gwizzle39 said:

Why dont we call it the egg yellow 🤔

But we do call it yellow.

yolk is Old English for yellow.   (they spelt it geolca)  pun intended.

10 minutes ago, Gwizzle39 said:

As far back as I can remember I have always been told that the white part of an egg is called “the white” and the yellow part is “the yolk”. Now of course this is not accurate as the white is called “the Albumen” and recently I began questioning why we only use the correct name for half the egg 🤔.

Of course whilst the initial question is a little flippant in its wording it is an interesting concept that we are for some reason we are only choosing to educate our children when it is convenient.

The only possible conclusions I can draw are as follows 

1: It is not alluring enough to our ears

2: The entire world doesn’t know the correct term

3: We are a horrendously lazy society that can’t be bothered to teach our children the correct terminology.

There may be some other alternative reasons but I am still yet to find one that I feel is sufficiently justified 🤔

On a similar note if you are a person who refers to Spaghetti Bolognese as “Spag Boll” i would suggest it is time to reconsider some of your life choices 🤣.

In French they do speak of un jaune d'oeuf (et un blanc, bien sûr). I don't know about other languages.

1 hour ago, Gwizzle39 said:

As far back as I can remember I have always been told that the white part of an egg is called “the white” and the yellow part is “the yolk”

I thought the white part was the shell (on some eggs). On the inside, there’s the yellow part and the clear part. The latter turns white when cooked.

Are you just yolking around with this thread?  Omeletting that question go, for now. 

The albumen is called the white because we cook it.  It is referred to by color because there is a significant change in color.  The yolk stays it's color,  so it makes sense to keep calling it the yolk.  

2 hours ago, swansont said:

The latter turns white when cooked.

Not only. When you whisk an egg white, it turns a white color without any cooking.

ps. Have you started pumpkin season yet? I made a pumpkin pie last week.

You need: a cup (i.e. 250-300 mL) of oil, a cup of sugar, a cup of pumpkin, 250g of flour, 3 eggs, a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of baking powder, and eventually a teaspoon of cinnamon and/or vanilla/vanillin sugar. Whisk the egg white, blend the rest, join with egg white and to 40 minutes to the oven. Takes less time of work than me writing this recipe..

Edited by Sensei

18 hours ago, swansont said:

But the point is that you have to do something to it to turn it white. It’s the part that turns white.

Unless you don't.
The distinction between white and colourless is a bit unclear (if you forgive the pun).

Resins used in varnish making are classified by their colour. The clearest (and thus the most expensive are called "water white".

By the way, the word "albumen" comes from the Latin "albus"  meaning "white".

25 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Unless you don't.
The distinction between white and colourless is a bit unclear (if you forgive the pun).

Resins used in varnish making are classified by their colour. The clearest (and thus the most expensive are called "water white".

By the way, the word "albumen" comes from the Latin "albus"  meaning "white".

OK, so now I have to have a fried egg sarny... Thank you!!! I had the bacon in the pan...

23 hours ago, dimreepr said:

OK, so now I have to have a fried egg sarny... Thank you!!! I had the bacon in the pan...

That's on my menu for this evenings dinner - grilled bacon medallions, poached eggs, large field mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, fresh avocado, baked mature cheddar and spinach. My stomach is rumbling as I post this and dinner is 6 hours away yet!!