Silicone oil in food processing machine

Piter1980

Hi. We want to use CAS 63148-62-9 (5 cSt) to lubricate linear motion systems in food processing machines. There will be no direct contact with food. We are trying to reduce the cost of construction. There are a few questions. Will dust and dirt stick to CAS 63148-62-9 ? How does this one behave in relation to different food acids? Can microorganisms grow inside this oil or on the surface (can come from food with active ingredients)?

Edited by Piter1980

3 hours ago, Piter1980 said:
Hi. We want to use CAS 63148-62-9 (5 cSt) to lubricate linear motion systems in food processing machines. There will be no direct contact with food. We are trying to reduce the cost of construction. There are a few questions. Will dust and dirt stick to CAS 63148-62-9 ? How does this one behave in relation to different food acids? Can microorganisms grow inside this oil or on the surface (can come from food with active ingredients)?

When you say 5cSt, you don't say what temperature. If you mean 40C, that is quite a low viscosity lubricant. It will leave only a thin film, which I think won't collect as much dirt and dust as a more viscous product. Silicones themselves are fairly inert with respect to weak acids (e.g. citric, acetic), at least at the concentrations found in foodstuffs. I am not aware of any micro-organisms that metabolise silicones, but they most certainly could grow in any food particles or droplets that adhere to machinery parts wetted by the lubricant.  

But all this is just my opinion. I am not expert on lubricants for the food processing industry. I think you would be better off to direct these questions to people in the industry with relevant experience of silicone lubricants.

1 hour ago, Piter1980 said:

Thanks for the comment!
Another question then is this. 
CAS 63148-62-9 (5 cSt) has a porous structure or not?

Can mold or other organisms take root by taking advantage of the pores?

Aha, my troll detector has gone off.

Nobody serious would think a 5cSt liquid could be porous.