Squeeze type piezoelectric igniter...

Externet

Hi.  Bought this over 20 years ago at a 99 cent store just because was different.  Took a short video but became too large and refused to insert here.

Well, has a squeezable handle instead of an striker trigger as most.  Emits several sparks in about 5mm of squeezing; looks like

----> https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-OPL1-R-Piezoelectric-Kitchen-Flameless/dp/B01MSKDG51

Is there a major difference in operation principle ?  Squeezing instead of striking the crystal ?  I presume squeezing bends the piezo crystal.

A squeeze could potentially still have a striking mechanism internal to the workings, but the bottom line is generating a voltage from pressure, so it could be you are able to generate that with a squeeze. Perhaps the piezo geometry is somewhat different - several of them stacked, and/or a different material that generates a higher voltage, but is brittle and you don't want the physical shock to it. 

4 hours ago, Externet said:

Hi.  Bought this over 20 years ago at a 99 cent store just because was different.  Took a short video but became too large and refused to insert here.

Well, has a squeezable handle instead of an striker trigger as most.  Emits several sparks in about 5mm of squeezing; looks like

----> https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-OPL1-R-Piezoelectric-Kitchen-Flameless/dp/B01MSKDG51

Is there a major difference in operation principle ?  Squeezing instead of striking the crystal ?  I presume squeezing bends the piezo crystal.

Yes, I've used one of these for about 20 years as well. As it still works, I have never taken it to bits to look at the mechanism. 

But I bought one for use in a holiday house on an island in Brittany, where the cooker uses bottled propane and I found it didn't work. I'm not sure if it was the humidity - I find it works less well in a humid atmosphere - or whether the spark is simply not energetic enough to ignite propane, for some reason.