Jump to content

Do you believe in God?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, JasmineReedTheAuthor said:

I'm writing an article for my website and will include a link to this topic.

My breath is suitably bated.

Meanwhile, could you flesh out the question?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JasmineReedTheAuthor said:

I'm writing an article for my website and will include a link to this topic.

That's a bold move, Cotton! Such temerity deserves better answers than you'll get with the title question. This is a science discussion site, and we believe in clarity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, beecee said:

I mean more and more we see science pushing any necessity for any God, further and further into oblivion.

Oh, I dunno.... A lot of people are still looking for magical answers to mundane problems. Just watch a football match - how many players say a little prayer for their goal, or listen to the speeches after a mass shooting, how many "thought and prayers" are sent to the victims' families.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JasmineReedTheAuthor said:

I'm writing an article for my website and will include a link to this topic.

I'm curious what kind of article you'll write when you only asked for "yes/no/it's complicated" type of responses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TheVat said:

I'm a pantheist,  which means I believe in stealing trousers! 

(pant + heist = pantheist) 

+1

7 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Thank God! For a second there I thought you'd say panties.

 

What the difference between crude oil and refined oil ?

 

Crude oil gushes out of the ground screaming "knicker. knickers, knickers"

Refined oil gushes out of the refinery screaming "panties, panties , panties"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Oh, I dunno.... A lot of people are still looking for magical answers to mundane problems. Just watch a football match - how many players say a little prayer for their goal, or listen to the speeches after a mass shooting, how many "thought and prayers" are sent to the victims' families.

That doesn't change the fact that science still is pushing, the need for some deity to explain what we see around us further and further into oblivion. Traditional customs and traditions die hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

The thread starter asked a yes or no question. All discussion beyond that is off-topic at this time. Such posts will be hidden.

 

Asking someone if they believe in God seems way more than a yes or no question.  For example, if I had responded "pantheist" in a more serious vein,  that would not exactly be a yes or a no,  and take further clarification.  I am,  BTW, agnostic,  due to what I see as uncertainty inherent in any metaphysical knowledge.   Especially where a universal consciousness is concerned.   

Questioning the form of a question is fair play,  IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Asking someone if they believe in God seems way more than a yes or no question.  For example, if I had responded "pantheist" in a more serious vein,  that would not exactly be a yes or a no,  and take further clarification.  I am,  BTW, agnostic,  due to what I see as uncertainty inherent in any metaphysical knowledge.   Especially where a universal consciousness is concerned.   

Questioning the form of a question is fair play,  IMO.

!

Moderator Note

It is a yes or no question, which is a problem because of factors that you have highlighted (and others), i.e. it should not be asked in a binary way. The OP might return and clarify this, but until they do, I'm erring on the side of caution, because this isn't my first theological rodeo.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.