Do you believe in God?

17 minutes ago, JasmineReedTheAuthor said:

I'm writing an article for my website and will include a link to this topic.

That's a bold move, Cotton! Such temerity deserves better answers than you'll get with the title question. This is a science discussion site, and we believe in clarity.

2 hours ago, beecee said:

I mean more and more we see science pushing any necessity for any God, further and further into oblivion.

Oh, I dunno.... A lot of people are still looking for magical answers to mundane problems. Just watch a football match - how many players say a little prayer for their goal, or listen to the speeches after a mass shooting, how many "thought and prayers" are sent to the victims' families.

5 hours ago, JasmineReedTheAuthor said:

I'm writing an article for my website and will include a link to this topic.

I'm curious what kind of article you'll write when you only asked for "yes/no/it's complicated" type of responses.

7 hours ago, TheVat said:

I'm a pantheist,  which means I believe in stealing trousers! 

(pant + heist = pantheist) 

+1

7 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Thank God! For a second there I thought you'd say panties.

What the difference between crude oil and refined oil ?

Crude oil gushes out of the ground screaming "knicker. knickers, knickers"

Refined oil gushes out of the refinery screaming "panties, panties , panties"

4 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Oh, I dunno.... A lot of people are still looking for magical answers to mundane problems. Just watch a football match - how many players say a little prayer for their goal, or listen to the speeches after a mass shooting, how many "thought and prayers" are sent to the victims' families.

That doesn't change the fact that science still is pushing, the need for some deity to explain what we see around us further and further into oblivion. Traditional customs and traditions die hard. 

4 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

The thread starter asked a yes or no question. All discussion beyond that is off-topic at this time. Such posts will be hidden.

Asking someone if they believe in God seems way more than a yes or no question.  For example, if I had responded "pantheist" in a more serious vein,  that would not exactly be a yes or a no,  and take further clarification.  I am,  BTW, agnostic,  due to what I see as uncertainty inherent in any metaphysical knowledge.   Especially where a universal consciousness is concerned.   

Questioning the form of a question is fair play,  IMO.

10 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Asking someone if they believe in God seems way more than a yes or no question.  For example, if I had responded "pantheist" in a more serious vein,  that would not exactly be a yes or a no,  and take further clarification.  I am,  BTW, agnostic,  due to what I see as uncertainty inherent in any metaphysical knowledge.   Especially where a universal consciousness is concerned.   

Questioning the form of a question is fair play,  IMO.

!

Moderator Note

It is a yes or no question, which is a problem because of factors that you have highlighted (and others), i.e. it should not be asked in a binary way. The OP might return and clarify this, but until they do, I'm erring on the side of caution, because this isn't my first theological rodeo.

• 4 months later...

The most believable of gods are the ancient pre-monotheistic/polytheistic ones. Gods like Zeus, Ra, Odin, Krishna, were never projected as being all-good and that made them relatively more plausible given how things were/are in the world (evils of all and sundry kinds). We could always explain worldly ills like famines/wars/natural disasters as the anger of or quarrels between gods.

With the birth of monotheism, God became this omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omniscient being (the OOO God) and ever since then theists have had a hard time reconciling these attributes with the real evil that exists in our world (the problem of evil).

In short, the Abrahamic Yahweh seems more improbable than the Greek Zeus or the Hindu Shiva.

A few minutes after this^^^ topic has appeared on my screen an ad showed up, "¿Jesús resucitó de la muerte? Jesús enseñó que la vida no termina después de la muerte física."

Coincidence? God? AI?

Edited by Genady

26 minutes ago, Genady said:

A few minutes after this^^^ topic has appeared on my screen an ad showed up, "¿Jesús resucitó de la muerte? Jesús enseñó que la vida no termina después de la muerte física."

Coincidence? God? AI?

It starts with a "G" and has 2 o's inside. And ends with "gle"